Funniest show on TV - Modern Family vs. 30 Rock

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
IMO, the bar has swung to Modern. Plus there is some nice eye candy on that show.

Am I missing any other shows?

Comments

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    parks and rec vs archer

• Options
    Louie trounces them all.

• edulus said:
    parks and rec

• I like parks and rec but I don't get it being the best show out there. I actually worked in the Parks department for the City of Cleveland and a lot of the storylines are spot on.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Portlandia.

Not really competitor for the best show, but that show is ridiculously funny. And only a few episodes in.

• Mondeyano said:
    Portlandia.

Not really competitor for the best show, but that show is ridiculously funny. And only a few episodes in.

What is this about? Is it safe to assume it has something to do with Mexicans (i.e. the -landia part)?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    Herm said:
    Mondeyano said:
    Portlandia.

What is this about? Is it safe to assume it has something to do with Mexicans (i.e. the -landia part)?

lolwut? its about portland.

as for 30 rock, that show has been pretty weak for a couple seasons. i like parks and rec the most out of that huge thursday comedy block on NBC. i heard good things about Community, and enjoyed the D&D episode (i'm a nerd), but overall i haven't loved what i've seen from it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Moder Family vs Big Bang Theory

• thrope said:
    Herm said:
    Mondeyano said:
    Portlandia.

lolwut? its about portland.

I figured that, but we say -landia instead of -land, which made me think it was somehow Latino-related.

Record-related example:

• Community and Parks n Rec.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    was 30 rock ever funny to begin with

• Out of the 2 I'd choose Modern Family.

Community is the funniest show on TV right now though.

And Big Bang Theory stinks on ice.

• edulus said:
    archer

Yep.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    real argument would be which network does comedy the best?

F/X: Always Sunny, The League, Louie, Archer
    CBS: Two and half men, how i met your mother, big bang theory
    NBC: Thursday night.
    Fox: Sunday night
    ABC: modern family, mr sunshine, cougartown?

gotta go with F/X as far as quality, NBC as far as quantity. i'll sit and watch 4 out of the 6 shows on thursday night.

• Community is the best show on tv period. It figures you hipsters like Portlandia.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts

• Peep Show on Channel 4 and Hulu

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

this should count now that it's regularly shown on IFC - and bc any other comedy on tv is its son.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    every season is on netflix instant view also. i'm on season 2. never watched this show before, but yes seems to have some major influence on many current shows

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    30 rock. even though i am not fond of it, i prefer it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    30 rock for life
    i don't understand how big bang has blown up (no pun intended) this way

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    IMO, the bar has swung to Modern. Plus there is some nice eye candy on that show.

Am I missing any other shows?

Come on now.

• always sunny or archer. they've got fratinum but still have the beat writing.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    +1 for Portlandia and Parks & Rec
    office has been funny the last few episodes. was disappointed early on in the season. they need to figure something out for when Carrell leaves.

• pcmr said:
    i don't understand how big bang has blown up (no pun intended) this way

I think it's a combination of:
    Nascent "geek" subculture, facilitated by the Internets
    Popular lead-in show

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    Louie trounces them all.

Indeed.

Although modern fam gets a good amount of chuckle from me and the mrs. Phil is the dude.

• Top five for me right now (rankings change week to week depending on the strength of particular episodes):

- Parks & Recreation (quite possibly my top show and most eagerly anticipated each week)
    - Archer (just so crazy that I sometimes can't believe what I just saw or heard)
    - Community (really taking chances with these genre-based episodes)
    - Modern Family (completely re-inverts the family sitcom)
    - Big Bang Theory (the most traditional sitcom here that still manages to be funny, especially since they brought Blossom on to play Amy Farrah Fowler, who is a brilliant character addition!)

All the various incarnations of Louis CK's shows should be included in the Top 5 as well, but since none are on right now, and for some reason I feel his shows as something beyond and outside of the genre these other shows are in, I'm going to leave him out of this list for now.

Close contenders are:

- 30 Rock
    - The Office

But unfortunately both of these shows have become more hit-and-miss for me in recent seasons.
    I still want them to be great, and they still deliver on some weeks, but they aren't quite the sure-shots they once were.

• The most recent season of Always Sunny was AWFUL.

+

Shameless is a great show I'd suggest to anyone...it's funny but it's not really a comedy.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

I just started watching this tonight. I kinda like it. :latte: ??

• i think the IT crowd is the funniest show on tv.

peace, stein. . .