Brazil: Thelma CBS 37390

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Does anyone have this? Not the "Haunting New Voice," but the original CBS release.

I've been looking all over for it. The Loronix link for it is dead, but I'm hoping someone copped it before it went down.

Comments

• sabadabada said:
    Does anyone have this? Not the "Haunting New Voice," but the original CBS release.

I've been looking all over for it. The Loronix link for it is dead, but I'm hoping someone copped it before it went down.

I think its the best straight bossa LP I've purchased in about five years. It's pure. 100%. First you get the Thelma, then you get the power ......

Going one step further, the sound is very similar to "Sambeco - Musica De Briamonte" recorded around the same time but on the RCA label. Jose Briamonte (piano, arrangements); Papudinho (trumpet); Raulzinho (trombone); Heraldo do Monte (acoustic guitar); Capacete (acoustic bass); Garoto (vibraphone); Chacau (drums, percussion); Boneca (acoustic guitar); Guara (acoustic bass); Heitor (drums). But I don't know if the musicians are listed on the Thelma LP.

• I have it, it's pretty scarce but not ungettable.

Do you have the Cynara and Cybele that came out on CBS about the same time?

Also a nice record.

• Horseleech said:
    I have it, it's pretty scarce but not ungettable.

Also a nice record.

I have it. I just want a rip of it. I can't record stuff anymore. The baby has already broken a half dozen keys on the laptop, and when he sees the computer open he goes crazy. I would have to wake up in the middle of the night and try and record it while he was sleeping. I also have the Cynara and the Cybele but I don'tthink thats the same time is it? The Thelma is '65.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i'd be very curious to hear this especially the xango track
    surprised to hear its bossa with the candomble titles

• pcmr said:
    i'd be very curious to hear this especially the xango track
    surprised to hear its bossa with the candomble titles

Its real roots stuff. I think there is one track posted somewhere on line, the Batucada, but that track doesn't do it justice. The Yemanja is amazing and the Astronauta too.

• sabadabada said:
    Horseleech said:
    I have it, it's pretty scarce but not ungettable.

Also a nice record.

I have it. I just want a rip of it. I can't record stuff anymore. The baby has already broken a half dozen keys on the laptop, and when he sees the computer open he goes crazy. I would have to wake up in the middle of the night and try and record it while he was sleeping. I also have the Cynara and the Cybele but I don'tthink thats the same time is it? The Thelma is '65.

I think you're right, I'm pretty sure the C&C is '67.

I don't have a convenient rip setup right now or I'd hook you up.

Have you A/B'd the U.S and Brazilian versions?

• I don't know what A/B'd means? The U.S. version is the "Haunting New Voice From Brasil" lp that came out a few years later, I think 1968 and has been reished on CD in 2008 (I can't even find sample clips for this to see if its the same sessions or even similar). But I've never heard it and I've read that it isn't as inspiring. The two LPs share only one overlapping track.

Samba Do Carioca. I don't know whether the musicians are the same.

• sabadabada said:
    I don't know what A/B'd means? The U.S. version is the "Haunting New Voice From Brasil" lp that came out a few years later, I think 1968 and has been reished on CD in 2008 (I can't even find sample clips for this to see if its the same sessions or even similar). But I've never heard it and I've read that it isn't as inspiring. The two LPs share only one overlapping track.

Samba Do Carioca. I don't know whether the musicians are the same.

I'm tripping, I thought the 'Haunting Voice' was a U.S. release of the CBS record.

I heard HV many years ago and was underwhelmed - it seemed too restrained and boring. Last year the CBS record came into the store and I 'revisited' (or so I thought) and dug it and copped.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Hey SabaD and PCMR

I have and will rip it for you guys.
    Just give me a couple of days.

Peace

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    brigadao edson
    sorry about your loss of ronaldo (voce e corinthians ne?)

pcmr said:
    brigadao edson
    sorry about your loss of ronaldo (voce e corinthians ne?)

No problem, PCMR.

No, I'm not Corinthians.
    I'm Meng??o!!

sabadabada said:
    The Loronix link for it is dead

I was talking to a collector from Rio a couple of weeks ago and he said that Zeca Louro, the Loronix blog owner, passed away a few months ago.

RIP Zeca Louro.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RIP Zeca Louro
    one of the greatest music blogs of this era

• Moogman. Thanks. It's so hard for me to get my setup setup with the baby around.

That's too bad about Zeca. He was a really nice guy. I always appreciated the exagerated credit he gave my site. I loved sending him my super raers for Loronix. He was just a good guy and his site was amazing. I still have more of his downloads saved than my own.

OK, guys. Here's it

http://www.divshare.com/download/14091542-a3f

I included two songs (C1-2) from a compacto I have from her. It was released by CBS,
    but doesn't have any date on it. I suppose it's from the late 60's.
    Both songs are Samba de roda, not Bossa Nova. I think they fit well into the LP's feel, though.

Enjoy!

• Yeaaaaay. I was getting so dissapointed. I was like, "it's not coming this week, boo-hoo-hoo." I'm so psyched to listen to this right now. Thanks moog.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    muito brigado

sabadabada said:
    Yeaaaaay. I was getting so dissapointed. I was like, "it's not coming this week, boo-hoo-hoo." I'm so psyched to listen to this right now. Thanks moog.

Saba, the Moog won't let you down. ;-P

Hope you guys dig it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    just want to thank you for taking the time to do this
    i really like the orchestration my favorite track is peca de deus
    and the intro to the second bonus track you put up
    thanks to both of you for bringing my attention to this record

pcmr said:
    just want to thank you for taking the time to do this
    i really like the orchestration my favorite track is peca de deus
    and the intro to the second bonus track you put up
    thanks to both of you for bringing my attention to this record

I'm glad you're enjoying it, A.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Here is a good Instrumental bossa lp on RGE.

http://www.divshare.com/folder/907024-685

Musicians: Francis Hime (piano); Alberto Hekel Tavares (flute); Carlos Alberto Cumarao (trombone); Nelson Motta (acoustic guitar); Carlos Eduardo Sadock de Sa (acoustic bass); Joao Jorge Vargas (drums)

Compositions by: Carlos Lyra, Edu Lobo, Francis Hime, Roberto Menescal, Theo, A.C. Jobim, and others..

• Finally dug my copy of this out of a box, cleaned it up and have been playing it daily for the last week. Really digging it, great arrangements and overall sound, and three Marcos Valle songs never hurts either.

According to Loronix, Marcos Valle was a co-producer (not credited on the album, though I haven't scanned the liners in detail), which would be an early production effort for him. Anybody know who did the arrangements/played on this etc?