The Big Chill

Comments

• DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    So how do you feel about Garden State?

It was pretty pointless and meh, but I don't think anyone's calling it "important" or whatever, so I don't really care. Zach Braff should stick to Scrubs.

They were calling it our generation's Big Chill.
    Zach Braff = Kevin Klein

• HarveyCanal said:
    Damn, DB is on St. Elmo's Fire over this flick.

yeah, I ain't seen him get THIS worked up since Amalie Benjamin posed nude in Playboy

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    So how do you feel about Garden State?

It was pretty pointless and meh, but I don't think anyone's calling it "important" or whatever, so I don't really care. Zach Braff should stick to Scrubs.

They were calling it our generation's Big Chill.
    Zach Braff = Kevin Klein

Oh, wow. Fuck that. Wait, actually I think it was our generation's Big Chill. In a bad way.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    I sat in the back of the theater and thought "Yeah, fuck me and my generation, we suck"

Then a few years later River's Edge came out and my entire life was vindicated.

pickwick33 said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Damn, DB is on St. Elmo's Fire over this flick.

yeah, I ain't seen him get THIS worked up since Amalie Benjamin posed nude in Playboy

this thread contains much LOLing...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I'm behind you DB. I don't have the original context that it was viewed from by the masses, but watched it in the last year (as well as Diner - since my girl likes both movies) and did not enjoy The Big Chill. Diner at least had some funny scenes and interactions with the characters/actors.... and there was at least some ACTION.

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:
    St. Elmo's Fire

Talk about a dogshit movie. I think it's the angriest I've ever been while leaving a theater. What the fuck were they thinking?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I think my ultimate problem with the movie is that it's billed as "important." That's it's supposed to be a "touchstone." That's its some sort of meditation on important universal themes.

Then you watch it, and nothing much happens. Somebody killed himself. His college friends reunite and think about why he did it and what it means to them. They smoke pot. They bang. Everyone realizes it's not the end of the world.

In real life, that's called SHIT THAT HAPPENS EVERY DAY TO MILLIONS OF PEOPLE. It's NOT unique. It's NOT special. The Big Chill was only considered important because the boomers thought that the mundane day-to-day travails of their lives that the movie reflects???which have happened to billions upon billions of people before them and will happen again to billions upon billions more???take on some deeper significance when they happen to them. More significant, more important than the countless other times other people have dealt with the same problems, because the boomers thought that THEY were more significant and important than those other people. THAT is what pisses me off.

Big Chill set the table for Seinfeld!

BobDesperado said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    St. Elmo's Fire

Talk about a dogshit movie. I think it's the angriest I've ever been while leaving a theater. What the fuck were they thinking?

Having never seen it, I just IMDB'd it to see what was up. WWWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWW that movie looks awful. Like everything I hate about The Big Chill magnified and starring the Brat Pack.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    DB, What's your take on Good Morning, Vietnam?

RAJ said:

Saw it once when I was in my late teens. I remember thinking it was pretty good? Don't really remember much, actually. A couple of images come to mind of Robin Williams in the studio and in the streets of some town. That's about it. I should review it for http://www.moviesidontremember.com/

• Options
    DB_Cooper said:
    BobDesperado said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    St. Elmo's Fire

Having never seen it, I just IMDB'd it to see what was up. WWWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWW that movie looks awful. Like everything I hate about The Big Chill magnified and starring the Brat Pack.

The characters are hateful, whiny, narcissistic assholes and if you ever see it you'll be rooting for them all to die in flaming car wrecks. Unfortunately that's not what happens.

I had to look this up:

"Okay, what was the gang's catchy saying throughout the movie?

"A Boogla-Boogla-Boogla Ah-Ah-Ahhh". The whole group, in unison, shouts this together on more than one occasion."

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

VS

• Options
    DB_Cooper said:
    RAJ said:

Saw it once when I was in my late teens. I remember thinking it was pretty good? Don't really remember much, actually. A couple of images come to mind of Robin Williams in the studio and in the streets of some town. That's about it. I should review it for http://www.moviesidontremember.com/

I remember it as having one of Bruno Kirby's better roles but I haven't seen it since the first run.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I enjoyed:
    Big Chill
    St Elmos
    Good Morning Vietnam

Garden State sucked balls

• Woimsah said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    Woimsah said:
    TheKindCromang said:

(aka: The Only Good Parts are the Ones with Records!)

so you're writing off both Diner and The Big Chill entirely as films, saying that the only good part of each film is that which incorporates vinyl?

That's exactly what I'm saying

I'm curious, then -- what films do you love as much as those who love said titles above?

I like Crooklyn a lot.

Logan's Run is good too!

• i have had this debate before around 2001 when i watched it a few times.

things that are good about the big chill:

1. the fact that a bunch of old friends get together all weekend long and sleep in a house and hang out eat and have sex and go jogging and argue and get gifts of new 1981 nikes.

2. glen close's character loves her husband so much she suggests he donate some loving spoonfuls to her spinster friend. very selfless shit here for a woman

3. playing 'you can't always get what you want' on piano at your friends funeral. yes and jack black called that out blah blah. it's still pretty moving

4. jeff goldblum- did you ever notice that in the beginning he is trying to convince kevin kline that good music WAS made in the last ten years? he is talking about the entire 1970's. i remember being little and hearing adults say that music hadn't been good since late sixties and now hearing that, with all of the amazing music made in the 70's that comment is still crazy to me, but it was how a lot of people felt back then

5. the fact they used the word chill in the title at that time as a double entendre, both for their big hang out and for the chill they caught from stopping to reflect over their loss of a friend.

things that are lame about the big chill:

1. kitchen dance scene. it's cute but cringe inducing

2. tom beringer

3. whiter shade of pale, i can't stand this song

4. joy to the world, i also can't stand this song

5. kevin klines southern accent attempt

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Also, I know I've been misspelling Kevin Klein's name. Know why? Fuck him???that's why. >:(

dude Kevin Klein will forever get a free pass because of A FISH CALLED WANDA

don't call me stupid!

• Options
    SoulOnIce said:

Really? So those Shitivia commercials with Jamie Lee don't creep you out? You're like the only one.

SoulOnIce said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Also, I know I've been misspelling Kevin Klein's name. Know why? Fuck him???that's why. >:(

don't call me stupid!

The thing is, I'm not even mad at Kevin Klein per se. Or Jeff Goldblum. But they, in the context of this movie, make me want to personally kick them into a bottomless pit, 300-style.

Just for perspective sake.
    This is 1981?
    There was no (commercial) oldies radio.
    Most of the classic Motown catalog was out of print.
    Most record stores carried little back catalog, and few oldies.

It was cool that this music was in a movie, because most people had not heard those songs for many years.

I was wrong when I said I never saw it. I did see it. I don't remember the opening sequence that Wu posted, but I do remember a scene where everyone wants the Tom Selleck guy to jump into a convertible like he does on tv, only he can't do it.

I don't remember much from Return of the Secaucus 7 either. I do remember thinking that BC was a Hollywood, water down, rip off of ROTS7. So now you all gotta watch that boring movie too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    This is 1981?

Ridiculously untrue.....

NYC has had commercial "Oldies Radio" stations since the early 70's.

Here in Dallas we had two in 1981 with one of them being one of the most popular stations on the dial.

I co-hosted a weekly "Roots of Rock & Roll" show on the lesser local Oldies staion starting in 1981.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    This is 1981?

No Commercial Oldies station in '81?

WCBS FM was.

I dont know how heavy they were on the Motown but The Big Chill wasnt deep catalog stuff.

I dont know how long Hal Jackson at WBLS has been at it.

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    This is 1981?

No Commercial Oldies station in '81?

WCBS FM was.

I dont know how heavy they were on the Motown but The Big Chill wasnt deep catalog stuff.

The Oldies scene in NY has been strong since the late 60's with Murray The K and Cousin Brucie hosting Oldies Concerts that were quite popular....I saw one in '72-'73 with groups like The Coasters, The Drifters and Freddie Cannon.

Even hippies were listening to Oldies with Sha Na Na playing at Woodstock.

batmon said:

"HI, THIS IS HAL JACKSON FOR PALISADES AMUSEMENT PARK"

• LaserWolf said:
    This is 1981?

1) The Big Chill movie came out in 1983, by which time the Motown resurgence was already in full swing thanks to that Motown 25 television special.

2) The classic Motown hits never truly went out of print. Even if you couldn't get the original albums themselves, Motown always kept the best-ofs available (as well as a full line of oldies 45's). And starting in 1981, Motown started reissuing near-exact copies of the older albums in a series priced at $5.99.

3) I would think that just because the STORE doesn't have it, that doesn't mean the LABEL CATALOG wouldn't either.

4) Like others have said, oldies radio was around long before the baby-boomer nostalgia craze of the eighties. The main difference was, after 1980 they started emphasizing the sixties more because...hey, ten years had gone by, it was about that time, you know? The Big Chill didn't start any retro crazes, it just enhanced them.

• Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:

"HI, THIS IS HAL JACKSON FOR PALISADES AMUSEMENT PARK"

I just saw a Hal Jackson-sponsored album the other day, from (I'm guessing) '69 or '70...the songs included appeared to be the same oldies you see on all the other oldies comps, which is why I didn't buy it. But the photos of Hal hanging out at Palisades Park soundchecks with the Temptations, Gladys Knight & the Pips and others are priceless.

It was 83?

In that case, just for perspective, it was cool because Motown resurgence was the thing.

I thought someone had said 81.

I can hardly remember the movie.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Bonerz

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Return of the Seacaucus 7 sucked btw.

Man, I forgot I started this thread. I had so much more time to be outraged about such things before becoming a parent. Now, I just feel likeyou know, everything's changed, man. Like, what happened to the people we used to bUPTHELADDERTOTHEROOFBWABWABWABWABWABWABWAUPTHELADDERTOTHEROOF...