Post a word you recently looked up in the DICTIONARY

2»

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Since my nickname at work is Grama Boy - yes I am a word nerd - I recently took it upon myself to institute a 'word of the week' at work - we're into our 4th week and next monday the word will be:

INDEFATIGABLE

• instantiate

i was looking for the computer science definition, although the regular definition explained the concept just fine.

• Kinetic said:
    indefatigability... a word well-known to george galloway haters:

• looked up Stat. like what doctors say. "Get me 300cc of crystal meth stat!"
    It is short for the latin word Statim meaning at once or immediately.

• nzshadow said:
    ugliest words in the English language (when said aloud) are:
    Rural

The Rural Juror

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    neil_something said:
    Kinetic said:
    indefatigability... a word well-known to george galloway haters:

And well known to Monty Python fans:

"In war we're tough and able
    Quite indefatigable
    Between our quests
    We sequin vests
    And impersonate Clark Gable"

Garcia_Vega said:
    nzshadow said:
    ugliest words in the English language (when said aloud) are:
    Rural

The Rural Juror

The Urban Fervor

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    discrepancy

it was like 6 months ago though
    was reading some old Pete Rock interview where he used it to describe what happened with ATCQ's Jazz We've got

I was like discrepantwut ?

English is not my 1st language btw

• damms said:
    discrepancy

was reading some old Pete Rock interview where he used it to describe what happened with ATCQ's Jazz We've got

That reminds me... When Q-Tip said "Busta is ferocious/ I'm flawed and precocious" on his last album, I checked precocious in the dictionary. Not cause I did not know the word, more because I wanted to know if it can be used that way. And I'm still puzzled why a 40-year old dude would refer to himself as precocious.

I remember some interview asking what he meant by saying that. And he responded, "Just that: I'm flawed and precocious." :shocked:

damms said:
    And I'm still puzzled why a 40-year old dude would refer to himself as precocious.

Probably the same reason Sadat X would refer to himself as a prodigy "since the age of 20."

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    damms said:
    discrepancy

That reminds me... When Q-Tip said "Busta is ferocious/ I'm flawed and precocious" on his last album, I checked precocious in the dictionary. Not cause I did not know the word, more because I wanted to know if it can be used that way. And I'm still puzzled why a 40-year old dude would refer to himself as precocious.

I remember some interview asking what he meant by saying that. And he responded, "Just that: I'm flawed and precocious." :shocked:

Dude probably thought it meant more along the lines of "energetic but somewhat reckless," which kids who are precocious often are also.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    damms said:
    And I'm still puzzled why a 40-year old dude would refer to himself as precocious.

Probably the same reason Sadat X would refer to himself as a prodigy "since the age of 20."

Probably the same reason Phife floats like gravity. Tangential ideas misconstrued from context.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    The last English word I had to explain to my French friend was 'Insipid'.
    odd that he didn't know the meaning . you just have to add an 'e' at the end to get the French equivalent. and it's far from being an obscure word in French

hertzhog said:
    damms said:
    discrepancy

I hate when rappers force their rhymes like that

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Overheard this while watching 'Network' last night: ORACULATE. As in "verbally getting down in a prophetic matter". Tried looking it up and have found nothing. Still sounds right to me.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Haul

(candle thread and not being a native english speaker related)