Das Racist - Possibly the worst rappeurs evar?

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central

or :talib: ?

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    quite possibly.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    indubitably

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Yes. They are TERRIBLE! The hipster crowd loves them. They have played two or three shows here in Seattle in the last couple of months. I don't know why anyone would want to go see them.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    what the fuck is going on?!!? seriously... dont post retarded shit. is this some kind of a joke? may be some of the worst lyrics... rhyming... talking... jibberish...??? ive ever been subjected to.

no really tho is this a joke group or are they serious?

b/w

can someone please remove this thread? its making me angry.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Das Racist has been both dismissed as joke rap and hailed as an urgent new voice in rap

I think being minorities at a liberal arts college and that type of environment had an impact on both the way we view race and our sense of humor, which people often use as a tool to deal with race. I always felt like Wonder Showzen was a television show that captured that type of thing perfectly. When I saw the little kid yelling "THAT'S RACIST" it blew my mind. And then it became a game ... to take all the seriousness out of making legitimate commentary on race, because that can get very annoying. So when something veering on racially insensitive would pop off in a commercial on television or something it would be like, who could yell "That's Racist" first. And then we thought it would be a cool name. Das EFX may have been an inspiration

Das Racist first began attracting attention with their song "Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell".[9][16] In November 2008, The Guardian called Das Racist a "funny and funky duo," placing them on a list of eight bands worth checking out.[17] In March 2009, Dan Deacon referred to "Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell" as "a track that will last the ages" in XLR8R magazine.[18] Death & Taxes magazine described the song as "an existential meditation on consumer identity in corporate America" and "both feverishly juvenile and somehow profound."[19][dead link] After playing at the 2009 CMJ Music Marathon, the New York Times described Das Racist's set as "characteristically shambolic, and characteristically entertaining, holding together a half-hour set of half-performed songs with hyperliterate reference points and self-aware charm

Das Racist's unique style has a strong polarizing tendency;[16] their set at the Pop Montreal festival was described as "the most divisive show seen at the festival."[37] They describe their approach to music as "'deconstructionalist': sawing the legs out from under hip-hop as they celebrate it."[38] The New York Times wrote "Das Racist???s lack of piety has become an aesthetic of its own, with songs that are as much commentary on hip-hop as rigorous practice of it."[11] The Root said Das Racist could speak for both "the ???hood or the nearest gated community."[39] Playboy called the duo "equal parts hip-hop and Cheech & Chong."[40] In an interview with Sepia Mutiny, Suri described Das Racist's music:

we???re not making music that???s instantly appealing. We dabble with nonsequiturs, dadaism, repetition, repetition. We make dance music while talking about not-dancey things. We say things that on the surface can seem pretty dumb but it???s a mask on some Paul Laurence Dunbar shit for actual discontent with a lot of shit in the world. Further, not a lot of people want to hear rappers talk about Dinesh D'Souza being a punk, Eddie Said, Gayatri Spivak being dope or even know who they are. A lot of people hear Pizza Hut Taco Bell and then have preconceived notions about our entire body of work that fall pretty flat.

@pcmr - oh cool... now i get their whole steez! i totally misjudged them after reading that. maybe they ARE the greatest new thing to hit the skreets?!

im going on facebook right now to "Like" them.

YAY FOR HIP-HOP

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i love how they've deconstructed hiphop for me
    we have our own version here in canada

the worst part is they get national funding

with all these bullshit electro post rap clowns is when they analyze themselves
    oh yes i realize you are simply hearing taco bell but look further than that and you will see our repetitive dadaist mantras are a comment on the current state of consumerism
    a combination of the warm pizza oven serving as a hut for the processed dog food taco feelings of our own powerlessness

"oh yes i realize you are simply hearing taco bell but look further than that and you will see our repetitive dadaist mantras are a comment on the current state of consumerism
    a combination of the warm pizza oven serving as a hut for the processed dog food taco feelings of our own powerlessness "

then they should be SAYING that. making up reasons and purpose for your music after people clown you isnt the way. put that shit down in a verse and explain yourself. they were straight glorifying these places with their rep-rep-repition.

rhyme it. say it. preach it. dont skirt around that shit by making some ass music that MAKES people want to go to tacobellpizzahutcombination

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    hype suppository

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

a bunch of stoners that repeat shit when they can't put their half-assed rhymes together

• never thought there could be something worse than Paul Barman.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    pcmr said:
    , Eddie Said.

diminutive moves!

• Options
    Weird Al-Rapovic.

• this thread is a duplicate; there was one on these guys a couple months back; bump that.

• Options
    rootlesscosmo said:
    this thread is a duplicate; there was one on these guys a couple months back; bump that.

A duplicate thread on a music discussion board?

Call the fucking cops! That's unheard of!

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    HA! Could have not said it any better!!!

jinx74 said:
    they were straight glorifying these places with their rep-rep-repition.
    rhyme it. say it. preach it. dont skirt around that shit by making some ass music that MAKES people want to go to tacobellpizzahutcombination

b/w

jinx74 said:

can someone please remove this thread? its making me angry.

also..

jinx74 said:

what the fuck is going on?!!? seriously... dont post retarded shit.

Times like this I appreciate being sick and checking out what's going on in the soulstrut world
    Needed the good laugh, Thanks J****n!!

OH..

jinx74 said:

im going on facebook right now to "Like" them.

YAY FOR HIP-HOP

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Hm, strange how can there be two different versions of the same thread?

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/66546/

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Wow..doppelganger thread moves!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    They describe their approach to music as "'deconstructionalist': sawing the legs out from under hip-hop as they celebrate it."

we???re not making music that???s instantly appealing. We dabble with nonsequiturs, dadaism, repetition, repetition.

Plaese to shutthefuckup.