The Parking Lot Movie

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Anybody hip to this? Seems to be Strut-worthy. Slacker intellectual hipsters rip on mainstream.

Comments

• It was awful. Saw half of it on netflix before falling asleep. Everybody in it is a variation of Roman from Party Down. Self important nerds who work in a parking lot and think they are superior to everyone else.

:hated_it:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    It was awful. Saw half of it on netflix before falling asleep. Everybody in it is a variation of Roman from Party Down. Self important nerds who work in a parking lot and think they are superior to everyone else.

:hated_it:

I liked it. Maybe because I identified with it so much because that's how I was in college. Frat Boys are evil related.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I liked it too. I caught it on PBS one night. It reminded me of the strut too, mainly because their stories of customers were in the same vein as the DJ stories on here.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I skated with a couple of those dudes back when most of this was shot. I think a lot of the intellectual mumbojumbo was emphasized in editing.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    lol. i go over there to eat lunch during the week. good dudes for the most part.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    Saw this at HotDocs last year. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. The "rap song" at the end was less cringe-worthy that it could've been. (That's a compliment.)

• i made it about half-way through. had i not been eating lunch and looking for a way to kill time i would have stopped watching after 10 minutes. james mcnew's story about the girl from his high school really put me over the edge. if you're still complaining about some girl who dissed you 20+ years ago and the worst thing you can say about her is that she was "driving her dad's car"--and all of this seems to be based on your own imagined idea about her privileged life (paid for by her 6th grade math teacher father, one assumes)--you've lost. also, the over-intellectualizing was underwhelming: "reality bites" in a parking lot.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i miss the starlite ballroom

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    deathvalley90210 said:
    stopped watching after 10 minutes.

Probably would have been more interesting to me had it featured people who perhaps rose to the top of their personal career ladder, rather than otherwise intelligent folks who settled for working at a parking lot.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    white_tea said:
    deathvalley90210 said:

Probably would have been more interesting to me had it featured people who perhaps rose to the top of their personal career ladder, rather than otherwise intelligent folks who settled for working at a parking lot.

See, I thought that was the whole point -- there are certain jobs that lull smart people into sticking around far too long, putting their adult lives on hold. These might be fun places to work and allow for lots of acting out and idiosynchratic behavior, but they do little to challenge the employees' brains, and end up stirring up a lot of bitterness and resentment between them and their customers. The hipster video store I used to work at was that kind of place, and had a surprisingly similar atmosphere to the one on display in this movie (which, as with some here, I liked but did not love).

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It probably would've been more interesting to you guys if you'd watched the whole thing - the second half is mostly pretty depressing stuff.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Oh, and its available streaming on Netflix.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Also on-demand if you have Verizon Fios.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    coffinjoe said:
    i miss the starlite ballroom

satellite lol

http://www.gigposters.com/venue/Satellite Ballroom/

those brought me back.

• I enjoyed it. Cool concept for a documentary. Yeah some of those dudes seems like douches but it didn't detract from my enjoyment.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    It looks up my alley, I will watch, and share with others who will enjoy it.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    the shit with the gate getting torn down every weekend; the irate nerd chasing down the ELITIST_FRATBOIZ and such: pure nerd-rage voyeurism boner.

loved it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    onetet said:
    white_tea said:
    deathvalley90210 said:

See, I thought that was the whole point -- there are certain jobs that lull smart people into sticking around far too long, putting their adult lives on hold. These might be fun places to work and allow for lots of acting out and idiosynchratic behavior, but they do little to challenge the employees' brains, and end up stirring up a lot of bitterness and resentment between them and their customers. The hipster video store I used to work at was that kind of place, and had a surprisingly similar atmosphere to the one on display in this movie (which, as with some here, I liked but did not love).

That's a good point. Maybe I'll give it another run. I was watching on Netflix instant, too, and I was deviating from the heavy dose of political docs I have been watching damn near every day -- on Herbert Hoover, Jack Abramoff, the Pentagon Papers, Hollywood and the Holocaust, every "Frontline" available. I think it's all starting to go to my head.

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    I caught it on PBS and enjoyed it. One of the dudes in yo la tengo worked in the lot. Pretty cool.