Post a word you recently looked up in the DICTIONARY

dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
While many poasters couldn't be bothered with the wafer-thin distinctions between there, their and they're and arbitrarily insert apostrophes into the possessive its to form the contraction it's, some of you write beautifully and demonstrate a love of vocabulary. I run across unfamiliar words all the time and I don't mind running to the dictionary to embiggen my understanding of what I just read. Even if I think I know the definition, sometimes I learn of an obscure sense of a word which adds to my appreciation of a work. Feel free to trot out sesquipedalian showpieces (I'm looking at you, callipygian and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis) but I'm really interested in words that have enhanced your working lexicon. Don't be afraid to admit you misunderstood a seemingly common word, I have a "friend" who thought hirsute meant "thin" for years.

discalced
I read this in Cormac McCarthy's novel ???The Road" and from context you can guess the meaning of the word, but the connotations of a religious order were lost to me until I looked up the word. This is the word that inspired this post.
They were discalced to a man like pilgrims of some common order for all their shoes were long since stolen
In retrospect, I probably read right past the word in Blood Meridian without even considering its meaning (but thanks to Google Books search I found again):
When they set out in the dawn the headless man was sitting like a murdered anchorite discalced in ashes and sark
I had to look up anchorite as well, but it certainly enhances my understanding of what McCarthy was trying to describe.

hagiographic
This was used in the New York Times Book Review section to describe a JD Salinger biography (actually they said it was "sympathetic but not hagiographic") but I was surprised I hadn't noticed this word before. Perhaps someone in the Tribe Called Quest documentary thread could have applied this term or denied its applicability.

Feel free to add on, and don't be afraid of being clowned for ignorance???nobody knows every word in the English language.

[/blog]

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, I've mentioned this here a couple of times. I think dictionaries are a cool way to do research and to touch up on vocabulary.

I looked up surreptitious, to describe the way I take black and white photos. I take pictures that way cause I don't like stage blocking...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Anemone

I still can't see why this is pronounced the way it is. There is a street in a new urbanism development which has a street called this. People will call me saying "Hey, can you come over to A - N - E- M- O- N- E- today?", they have to spell the schitt out. I don't tell them what the word pronunciation is.

I guess you just have to be there.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Melliferous.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Melliferous.

I bet a lot of people would get this one wrong if they didn't look it up. "Melliferous? It means sweet smelling, right?"

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Melliferous.

I bet a lot of people would get this one wrong if they didn't look it up. "Melliferous? It means sweet smelling, right?"

More or less..

mel??lif??er??ous (me lif?????r ??s)

adjective

producing honey

mel??lif??er??ous (m??-l??f????r-??s) also mel??lif??ic (-l??f????k)

adjective
    Forming or bearing honey.

I saw this word in the liner notes of the Vibrators album in the thread about shady covers. Had to look this up, because i hd NO idea what it meant.

• Options
    Burns said:
    Anemone

I still can't see why this is pronounced the way it is.

It's derived from Greek - think "Antigone." I love the word and the way it sounds.

And dictionaries rule. I can't remember the last word I looked up, but I do it frequently. One of the best ways to appreciate the English language (and language in general) is to see how fluid it is and how promiscuously it takes from other languages.

(This is one of the reasons I even bothered to post in the "Lady Antebellum" thread.)

• supposition.

i dropped it in a conversation and someone accused me of making words up. we went to the websters over it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I consult the dictionary on a regular basis, largely due to the fact that I'm an editor. I believe the last word I looked up was "provenance" because I wasn't sure if it was being used correctly in the article I was editing (it wasn't).

• Callipygous

Adj. 1. callipygous - pertaining to or having finely developed buttocks; "the quest for the callipygian ideal"
    callipygian
    shapely - having a well-proportioned and pleasing shape; "a slim waist and shapely legs"

• burtation.

peace, stein. . .

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This probably doesn't count but I registered the domain "mykururu.com" today. Had to do my research in the Spanish-English dictionary to find out KURURU is Guarani for the word Sapo which means TOAD.

Sometimes I go through long phases of epeolatry. Ask me why?

- spidey

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I love it when threads start out like this one: Look, I know most of you are cretins, but surely a select few of you will feel me on this...

Usually, though, those threads are about dubious music, bad tv, or obscure women, so this is kind of a change of pace.

Anyway: flense. I was reading something with a character named Flense, and I kept thinking that it sounded like a real word.

• DJ_WubWub said:
    Callipygous

Adj. 1. callipygous - pertaining to or having finely developed buttocks; "the quest for the callipygian ideal"
    callipygian
    shapely - having a well-proportioned and pleasing shape; "a slim waist and shapely legs"

AWESOME!!!!
    i love vocab.

a great vocabulary time waster is www.freerice.com

• I look up words all the time, but this is one that stuck with me:

pul??chri??tu??di??nous
    adj.
    Characterized by or having great physical beauty and appeal.

• Semaphoric, an adjective based on the noun semaphore, meaning:

1. A visual signaling apparatus with flags, lights, or mechanically moving arms, as one used on a railroad.
    2. A visual system for sending information by means of two flags that are held one in each hand, using an alphabetic code based on the position of the signaler's arms.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Great thread.

As an expat, I am constantly looking up Dutch words, and often surprised at both the amount of English words that stem from their Dutch counterparts, (like stoop for instance) and a Dutch word's Yiddish roots (Kaput, Mazzo/mazzel etc)

One of my good friends is a Frenchman and he takes pleasure in teasing me about the English language's habit of creating compound words by joining two already existing ones, whereas in French an entirely new word is created. Think horseshoe, buttplug, cupboard, footpath/sidewalk etc.

Not quite the same, but in the same territory is the fascinating practice of portmateau. (fugly being my personal favorite) I have a habit of pronouncing 'portmateau' incorrectly as portmaneau, a word that as far as I can tell, does not exist.

The last English word I looked up was 'Cromulant'. I was familiar with the word, had the general gist of it's meaning but needed to be sure. The last English word I had to explain to my French friend was 'Insipid'.

Oh, and, Etymology and Entomology are distinctly different, I always end up talking about insects when I mean words.

My English word of the week is 'Git'

This thread needs Gary.

• i have always loved this word . Its great that you can describe a beautiful woman as being both callipygous and
    mel??lif??lu??ous

??? ???/m????l??flu??s/ Show Spelled[muh-lif-loo-uhs]
    ???adjective
    sweetly or smoothly flowing; sweet-sounding: a mellifluous voice; mellifluous tones.
    flowing with honey; sweetened with or as if with honey.
    Use mellifluous in a Sentence
    See images of mellifluous
    Search mellifluous on the Web
    Origin:
    1375???1425; late Middle English < Late Latin mellifluus, equivalent to Latin melli- (stem of mel ) honey + -flu ( ere ) to flow + -us adj. suffix ( see -ous)

???Related forms
    mel??lif??lu??ous??ly, adverb
    mel??lif??lu??ous??ness, noun
    un??mel??lif??lu??ous, adjective
    un??mel??lif??lu??ous??ly, adverb

???Synonyms
    1. melodious, musical, dulcet, harmonious.

nzshadow said:

The last English word I looked up was 'Cromulant'. I was familiar with the word, had the general gist of it's meaning but needed to be sure.
    Cromulent is one of the most unique words in any language, a neologism that legitimizes a neologism. The Simpsons is the Shakespeare of our time.

This thread needs Gary.
    word is bond.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's an easy word, but I think I was remembering more of the slang meaning:

brained

As in:

Chicago question stumps 'Jeopardy' computer

(AP) The computer brained its human competition in Game 1 of the Man vs. Machine competition on "Jeopardy!" but bombed on the final answer where the correct question was: What is Chicago?
    That Final Jeopardy answer: "Its largest airport is named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle."
    Both champs Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter knew the right response was Chicago.
    Watson guessed doubtfully, "What is Toronto?????" It didn't matter. He had shrewdly wagered only $947

Brained, adj: having a brain of a specified kind ???used in combination.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    white_tea said:
    It's an easy word, but I think I was remembering more of the slang meaning:

brained

As in:

Chicago question stumps 'Jeopardy' computer

(AP) The computer brained its human competition in Game 1 of the Man vs. Machine competition on "Jeopardy!" but bombed on the final answer where the correct question was: What is Chicago?
    That Final Jeopardy answer: "Its largest airport is named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle."
    Both champs Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter knew the right response was Chicago.
    Watson guessed doubtfully, "What is Toronto?????" It didn't matter. He had shrewdly wagered only $947

Brained, adj: having a brain of a specified kind ???used in combination.

^^^^^^^^

Interestingly not the usage in the quoted AP article (AP uses it as a verb with a double meaning of "beat over the head" and "outsmarted").

I don't consult dictionaries. Dictionaries consult me.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    After Soulstrut convinced Harvey to start a rap blog, I looked up the word Svengali.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I had a weird one the other day, my 7 year old had to do definitions for homework and one of the words was "which". Doesn't seem like a hard one, but I could not think of a way to describe what the word means. It's just one of those things you know if you speak English.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    asstro said:
    I had a weird one the other day, my 7 year old had to do definitions for homework and one of the words was "which". Doesn't seem like a hard one, but I could not think of a way to describe what the word means. It's just one of those things you know if you speak English.

Jesus. Asking a seven-year-old to define that? It's almost a trick question. It's a placeholder, like a pronoun, used to refer to a noun that has already been explicitly used in the sentence:

The problem???which I have already explained to you???will require a painful solution.

The problem???(the problem) I have already explained to you???will require a painful solution.

• Excellent thread. I LOVE learning new words (and as nice as I'd like to think my vocab is, I must admit I've learned a few new words and / or how to use them from some of you Encyclopedia Brown muthafuckas right here on this very site). My favorite iPhone app is definitely the dictionary.com joint (today's word: factotum- a person employed to do all kinds of work)- highly recommended if you ain't already rockin' it.
    Last word I looked up? Actually it was one that's already been mentioned, pulchritudinous (already knew what it meant pretty much, just wanted to see the official definition). And BTW, I'll see your pulchritudinous and callipygous and raise you a STEATOPYGIA or steatopygic, which basically means possessing a fat ass. I love the dictionary!

• Options
    Here's one I just had to look up for a terrible reason. My nephew, who was the starting point guard on his high school basketball team, suffered a talar fracture and is done for the season. So I had to look up talar fractures.

http://www.orthopaedia.com/display/Main/Talar+fractures

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    (today's word: factotum- a person employed to do all kinds of work)

And the title of one of my favorite books.

BTW, the three ugliest words in the English language (when said aloud) are:

Brewery
    Dreary
    Rural

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    abjure

I play word twist. Occasionally I don't know the meaning of a word.

Love my American Heritage unabridged from the 70s. We call it the movie star dictionary, because some celebrities listed.

Also have a 1963 Webster unabridged. Nice plates.

And a handful of little desk references, that google has made obsolete.

• nzshadow said:

BTW, the three ugliest words in the English language (when said aloud) are:

Brewery
    Dreary
    Rural

In heavy disagreeance. Have no problem with those words. Rural I like alot, actually.

Ointment takes that title.

On the opposite end, we could talk the history of "Cellar Door".

LaserWolf said:

Love my American Heritage unabridged from the 70s. We call it the movie star dictionary, because some celebrities listed.

Also have a 1963 Webster unabridged. Nice plates.

I also love the American Heritage, my third edition is pretty much my go-to for hardcopy, although I use the built in Mac OS X dictionary way more than any printed dictionary. I always thought it was funny that Tony Randall was on their usage panel.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    Semaphoric, an adjective based on the noun semaphore, meaning:

1. A visual signaling apparatus with flags, lights, or mechanically moving arms, as one used on a railroad.
    2. A visual system for sending information by means of two flags that are held one in each hand, using an alphabetic code based on the position of the signaler's arms.

One of my favorite pedals.

- spidey