SXSW 2011

GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Who is going?
Who has hookups for cool parties and free booze?
Or at least free booze?

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'll be there March 10-20 for the film festival. I am also willing to drink free booze.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'll be there 10-13 for the Texas High School Basketball Tourney.....16 games in 3 days..... I'll be eating at Hoover's and drinking at Sholz's Beer Garden between games.

• I'm there from the 10th - 20th as well. There will be *tons* of free booze to go around.... You don't gotta look, it finds you.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Always here...SXSW has gone full blown circus in recent years...I used to pretty much stick to the offical showcases, but now the side-shit just might be trumping the conference itself. I dunno though, the whole securing separate credentials for every party you go to game is very lame. That's why I just walk invisibly into anything...with free booze typically being the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You can catch me this year wherever Big Krit is performing. And if any of y'all need anything, let me know.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm sitting it out this year, but have some friends performing with Dennis Coffey. I can probably get people on the list if you want to pm me closer to the date.

• HarveyCanal said:
    You can catch me this year wherever Big Krit is performing. And if any of y'all need anything, let me know.

Cosign on catching Big KRIT.

• We will be having some nice instores at BackSpin and Friends of Sound during the day. Free Beer and all that.

Rich, let's holler at some Hoovers together.

• Just found out that I have some friends I can crash with. About to buy a ticket. This will be my first time. Looking for any tips from the pros I can get. Should I buy a pass and all that?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I'm actually playing in a friends band. I'll be there the 16-20th. not sure of my schedule yet but anything that can be recommended or that I can be listed for would be more than appreciated...

if I'm in a band and have a wrist band do I have access to most events? Not sure how it works.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    behemoth said:

if I'm in a band and have a wrist band do I have access to most events? Not sure how it works.

Wristbands get in behind the people that bought badges. Some of the bigger names/showcases will be so packed with badgeholders that you may not get in. Most of those bands can be seen elsewhere throughout the year. Having a wristband doesn't hurt though, because there is usually a line of people without wristbands and you'll get in before them.

• I am playing at Kiss & Fly on Wednesday at 10p.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    billbradley said:
    behemoth said:

Wristbands get in behind the people that bought badges. Some of the bigger names/showcases will be so packed with badgeholders that you may not get in. Most of those bands can be seen elsewhere throughout the year. Having a wristband doesn't hurt though, because there is usually a line of people without wristbands and you'll get in before them.

now that i think about it we may have badges not wrist bands...

i am not sure how it works. we are playing several showcases. i am pretty sure the tour manager said we are getting badges. i hope so. because that would suck if i am there for 4 days and can't get into shit...

behemoth said:
    billbradley said:
    behemoth said:

now that i think about it we may have badges not wrist bands...

i am not sure how it works. we are playing several showcases. i am pretty sure the tour manager said we are getting badges. i hope so. because that would suck if i am there for 4 days and can't get into shit...

Don't worry, even with only a wristband...there is so much going on at once, that if you can't get into one thing, there will still be 40-eleven other viable options to choose from. And that's still sticking to the offical conference events. Throw in the non-official, typically free with an rsvp events...and you are guaranteed to be overwhelmed long before you ever feel shorted.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Will shitty be there?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Had quite the eating week during SXSW this year...

Tuesday: puerca asado tacos at Little Mexico on South 1st.

Wednesday: picadillo tacos at Maria's on South Lamar.

Thursday: double cheeseburger at Cherrywood Cafe on 38th.

Friday: brisket plate at Sam's BBQ on East 12th.

Saturday: migas and beef fajitas at Trudy's on 30th.

Sunday: pork ribs plate at El Caribe on North Lamar.

I'd strongly recommend any of these, most notably the pork ribs from El Caribe.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Like we care what you had to eat the past week? ghey. To think you may have jotted this all down just to post on
    SS. You mind telling me how much you tipped each server as well?

Burns said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Like we care what you had to eat the past week? ghey. To think you may have jotted this all down just to post on
    SS. You mind telling me how much you tipped each server as well?

We talk about foodie stuff on here all the time. Get familiar.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

My favorite thing on the menu there. Like TexMex Crack or something.

Only took a few, but my photos are posted here...

http://texasrapps.blogspot.com/2011/03/texas-rapps-at-sxsw-2011.html