Lady Antebellum

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Although I think some of their music sounds good I cant get with the name.... antebelluman -an ??te??bel??lum adj.Belonging to the period before a war, especially the American Civil War. This was not a good time for my peoples...aka black folk.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Totally, it's tea party code words. Let's not talk about her.

• This too...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    they did the Teddy Pendergrass cover :oof:

• never heard of these before today. they sound like music for people who find coldplay too edgy.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My wife called them a contemporary Peter Paul & Mary.

I thought a country/PP&M version of IYDKMBN was a good idea. Their name was not.

I thought they were very good at that contemporary PP&M thing and exactly the type of music I expect to win Grammys.

I'll be happy if I never hear them again.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    ;blap:

(the chick that is)

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    funky16corners said:

This too...

That clip was a nice reminder that Eye in the Sky fucking rules.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    Although I think some of their music sounds good I cant get with the name.... antebelluman -an ??te??bel??lum adj.Belonging to the period before a war, especially the American Civil War. This was not a good time for my peoples...aka black folk.

The definition you cite states that the word doesn't only apply to Pre-Civil War America.

• Bon Vivant said:
    sweatshop said:

The definition you cite states that the word doesn't only apply to Pre-Civil War America.

This is dumb, the word is Latin and means before the war, but in US history, the term antebellum is used to describe the period between the war of 1812 and the start of the American Civil war. Any reasonable person would assume a American group chose that name to refer to that era.

I think I heard a story, something like, they were doing a photo shoot in front of an old southern mansion. They called the mansion Lady Antebellum and decided that would be a good name for a band. They were wrong.

From a quick search:
    ""We got together, you know, as just songwriters. Became friends and started writing songs. And we wanted to put up a MySpace page. So we wanted to take pictures to put on MySpace to get people's attention, and we ended up going out outside of Nashville to this little town. It's this historic town called Franklin, Tennessee, and there's tons of antebellum homes with the columns, like, from Gone With the Wind. And we ended up in front of these houses, and Charles, the other lead singer in the group, he kind of looked back through the pictures and said, "Wow, that's a really beautiful antebellum home." And I said, "What does that mean?" I didn't know what it meant. But after he explained it to me, I was like, "Oh, yeah. It is. It's really pretty." And he goes, "Isn't that a cool word?" And then we just put a bunch of words in front of it, and "Lady" is what stuck. "
    *Antebellum - Latin for, 'before the war'. In this case, specifically, the American Civil War."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    From a quick search:
    ""We got together, you know, as just songwriters. Became friends and started writing songs. And we wanted to put up a MySpace page. So we wanted to take pictures to put on MySpace to get people's attention, and we ended up going out outside of Nashville to this little town. It's this historic town called Franklin, Tennessee, and there's tons of antebellum homes with the columns, like, from Gone With the Wind. And we ended up in front of these houses, and Charles, the other lead singer in the group, he kind of looked back through the pictures and said, "Wow, that's a really beautiful antebellum home." And I said, "What does that mean?" I didn't know what it meant. But after he explained it to me, I was like, "Oh, yeah. It is. It's really pretty." And he goes, "Isn't that a cool word?" And then we just put a bunch of words in front of it, and "Lady" is what stuck. "
    *Antebellum - Latin for, 'before the war'. In this case, specifically, the American Civil War."

Yeah, I read this and thought, "wow, this makes it even worse."

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I named my dog Hitler, but it's alright because it refers to Adolf's brother Edmund who died of measles.

And Prussian Blue is 2 girls who love to sing about watercolors.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    barjesus said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    sweatshop said:

This is dumb, the word is Latin and means before the war, but in US history, the term antebellum is used to describe the period between the war of 1812 and the start of the American Civil war. Any reasonable person would assume a American group chose that name to refer to that era.

Riiiiiiigghhhhhhttt. And any time an American is named Thomas, one must asssume they are named after Thomas Jefferson.

In any event, so what if it is referring to the period before the Civil War. Hate to be bearer of bad news, but not everybody in the US in that period owned slaves, or was pro-slavery. Further, the word "antebellum", doesn't mean slavery. It means the above defintion. Other things were happening in the US besides slavery (which, of course, was awful) at that time. Nothing in the songs they write (to my knowledge), glorifies anything about America's slave-owning past.

Let's not tar and feather this band because of their name. We should do it because their music is suspect, and rips off Alan Parsons.

• I didn't mention slavery, only that it was reasonable to assume that antebellum in this case refered to the American civil war, not say the 100 years war.

For people with an understanding of the meaning and use of the word in the American vernacular, it is not a good look.

It is often the case that words don't hold the same meaning for everyone.

• uuhhh, doesn't it simply refer to a historical period that extends from the end of the colonial era to the outbreak of the civil war in america?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    uuhhh, doesn't it simply refer to a historical period that extends from the end of the colonial era to the outbreak of the civil war in america?

Nothing that "simple" about any term that touches on the Civil War.

• mannybolone said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    uuhhh, doesn't it simply refer to a historical period that extends from the end of the colonial era to the outbreak of the civil war in america?

Nothing that "simple" about any term that touches on the Civil War.

when i say "simply" i mean "only" or "merely". doesn't the term "antebellum" just identify or demarcate a period of time that subsumes all that went on historically (good,bad or otherwise) in america during the era?

• Also, I thought, Antebellum architecture is important because it's the product of the wealth that came from the invention of the cotton gin. Which is definitely slavery related.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Decent country-pop with some crossover appeal. "Wholesome." The lady has a pretty good voice which almost uncommon in pop music these days, but I don't think they're trying to do anything too out-of-the-box. For the Taylor Swift fans' moms.

• Options
    It's just a word. And it's a word that 98% of the population would have to look up.

I suspect that 98% includes the band.

I think they can be given a pass on this one.

(And yes, I knew what it meant, but I'm in the 2%.)

Last night it occurred to me if I am going to get salty about the name Lady Antebellum, then I need to get salty about Dixie Chicks.

• My experience from having a bunch of cousins in Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi is that the dog whistle has been blowing so long it's become part of the background noise. So you get pretty normal, well-meaning people repeating really questionable things without thinking about it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    barjesus said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    sweatshop said:

Riiiiiiigghhhhhhttt. And any time an American is named Thomas, one must asssume they are named after Thomas Jefferson.

In any event, so what if it is referring to the period before the Civil War. Hate to be bearer of bad news, but not everybody in the US in that period owned slaves, or was pro-slavery. Further, the word "antebellum", doesn't mean slavery. It means the above defintion. Other things were happening in the US besides slavery (which, of course, was awful) at that time. Nothing in the songs they write (to my knowledge), glorifies anything about America's slave-owning past.

I agree and I won't stand for the blood libel of this wonderful, prize-winning group.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    It's just a word. And it's a word that 98% of the population would have to look up.

you sound white

• Options
    edpowers said:
    BobDesperado said:

you sound white

No, I'm an Irish.

• BobDesperado said:
    edpowers said:
    BobDesperado said:

you sound white

No, I'm an Irish.

You sound transparent.

• I live in the same town this band is from...

These people might be idiots, but it's safe to say they couldn't imagine that people would be offended by their name.

I'd be more offended by their crappy music...