BEEF: HipHop Bloggeur Edition (Noz v. NahRight)

2»

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    We win.

• I don't subscribe to either of these blogs (though I KNOW that I've been linked back and DL'ed tons of stuff from them before). I will say that most times I ignore the commentary 'cause I'm like "just give me the song and let me make my own damn opinion on it." I'm definitely not a know-it-all but I feel I know enough that I don't need to be schooled per se on a particular genre or artist. And when I do need to be schooled I just let the music teach me. Personally I feel the in-depth stuff is more for folks like the NPR crowd, the "casual rap listener" dudes, the reformed "trying to be more open-minded" backpacker and the Put It On guy above. (Now HIS blog I subscribe to. I like that guy!) Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for and respect the effort and willingness to share, but I'm probably the type of dudes bloggers hate most, the kind that just taketaketake without even acknowledging or thanking.

That back and forth argument above is childish and silly but in all honesty if it wasn't for this thread I'd never even know there was "beef." I'm just like "thanks for the song/link!

This is just generally "for the most part" speaking. I have found noteworthy stuff that I've learned from and shared with others on many a rap blog before.

(This is only in regards to rap blogs. With other genres I read the interviews, the backstory, etc. and then dig deeper into the music as needed.)

• Cosmo said:
    This week I was getting drunk off of red wine in a 1960s style piano bar in the middle of the desert with Noz so he wins in my book.

... and you and Day were tweeting all week about stuff like kicking it with the Mizell Brothers. That energy drink junket had me jealous as a mug.

Noz wins regardless. CB has put me on to a lot of great rap music, but it stands out because he usually has something smart, informed and entertaining to say about the music, too. I can see what Herm is saying about just grabbing songs and drawing his own conclusions, but I find the factual and critical context (and jokes) that Noz adds really valuable.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    Noz wins regardless. CB has put me on to a lot of great rap music, but it stands out because he usually has something smart, informed and entertaining to say about the music, too. I can see what Herm is saying about just grabbing songs and drawing his own conclusions, but I find the factual and critical context (and jokes) that Noz adds really valuable.

Yeah, I agree with this, although I do share Herm's position to an extent, inasmuch as my main area of interest is always going to be the music. But I suspect the grab-it-and-go approach is to some extent a by-product of there being so little analysis out there that's worth the time it takes to read it, which is where Noz comes in. Most rap bloggs appear to unquestioningly and uncritically hype up the same shit everyone else does, and it never seems to occur to the bloggeurs in question that they might have a role to play in drawing people's attention to some other shit that maybe isn't on their radar. Instead, they seem to prefer following the same bought-and-paid-for, so-hot-right-now trends as each other. With Noz (and, to a similar extent, Harvey, with his relentless championing of Texas rap on here), it's more driven by a genuine love and enthusiasm for what he's writing about, as well as a desire to broaden people's understanding of the music on a bunch of different levels. Certainly, that's the impression I've always got. It doesn't hurt that he's not afraid to change his mind about things either.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    (and, to a similar extent, Harvey, with his relentless championing of Texas rap on here)

i would read a harvey blog about texas rapps.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i like noz. who is nah right? i looked at their website and it was pretty um, utilitarian.

• there's some hilarious oneupsmanship on there:

dasracist das racist
    wonder if this bitch @noz botherin me cuz his hwite ass ran out of black people to fetishize...
    11 Feb Favorite Retweet Reply
    in reply to ???
    nosdnuos

@noz nosdnuos
    @dasracist a fat man in rainbow biker shorts and a flock of seagulls haircut is in no position to call another a bitch.
    11 Feb via Twitter for iPhone Favorite Retweet Reply

and the death blow

@noz nosdnuos
    @nahright and 50 zshares a day is? Your life's legacy is a string of dead links.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    there's some hilarious oneupsmanship on there:

dasracist das racist
    wonder if this bitch @noz botherin me cuz his hwite ass ran out of black people to fetishize...
    11 Feb Favorite Retweet Reply
    in reply to ???
    nosdnuos

@noz nosdnuos
    @dasracist a fat man in rainbow biker shorts and a flock of seagulls haircut is in no position to call another a bitch.
    11 Feb via Twitter for iPhone Favorite Retweet Reply

lol...

das racist constantly being on some "white boy" shit cracks me up... i guess that's how indian dudes create their lane in hiphop, by not being white...

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    What dimension is this? I stepped out in the wrong one..

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    (and, to a similar extent, Harvey, with his relentless championing of Texas rap on here)

Alright, you got it...

http://texasrapps.blogspot.com/

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ^^^^
    will be checking
    The Harve Canal Public Access Hour would have
    VHS Video Vault segment, Texas Rap Interviews, Cajun Cooking and CarpetBaggeur of the week
    I would watch that

• a quality exchange. at times i found myself wondering if Noz and Nahright are the same person, on some scooby doo shit, due to the similarity in tone and content. seemed far too affectionately hate-filled to be anything less.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    SIRUS said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Alright, you got it...

Oh schitt! Bout time.

• Both these blogs are wack the one time I checked either.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    Both these blogs are wack the one time I checked either.

Try this one: http://tinyurl.com/4zatfko

• you really cook with this tweef.

• i had to crack the fuck up at DasRacist people trying to diss anybody.
    i got nothing against them (if you can get paid for obnoxious music, fuck it do it) but they should at least know better than to throw stones in glass houses

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    you really cook with this tweef.

POUNDS IN THE TRASHCAN SOULJA DO THE DISHES

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I heard one or more of them nahright dudes had a bellybutton ring

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    SIRUS said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Alright, you got it...

:beerbang:

My interest in the rapps has waned over the past few years and I've allowed that plate to fall off the stick. Perhaps Texas rapps are what is rilly rill right now.

• Noz or whoever is kind of a tool on the internets just sayin.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Freddie Banks said:
    Noz or whoever is kind of a tool on the internets just sayin.

I don't think you're using the internet correctly.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    pretty sure he's a firefox add-on

• just add this line to adblock and he'll be gone
    *noz=//()()|3*