ones that got away >.

tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
not much of a storyteller myself, but have thoroughly enjoyed some of the stories by strutters over the years, especially mr rockadelic! crazy stuff
we've all had the experience of at least one that got away, and it kind of ties in with record digging stories, yet more specific to the FAIL.....

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    digging fail = back in 1997. six crates of dewolfe libraries at 50 cents a piece. i only bought one because i didn't know what they were at the time *sigh*

• ouch!
    yeah, there was a store called Ashwoods in SYD and back in 94/95 i was going thru a *cough* electronic music phase when there were tonnes of good modern soul boogie 12s in amongst it all, mad turnover on the regular.....lets just say I missed some grail stuff and have never forgotten!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    A few month ago I was at a rather big fleamarkt in Coburg/Bavaria. The whole inner city was filled with market stalls.
    One of the first stalls had around 6 big crates of records. I guess it must have been over 300 records.
    An older hippie looking guy with a batic shirt was pulling records like crazy from that crates when I arrived. He had aready looked through 3 crates and setted around 50-100 records apart .
    I immediatly wanted to check out the crates he hadn`t raided before.
    He aggressivly alluded me to begin with the crates he had already checked. Unfortunatly there was nothing worthwile
    to be found anymore. While waiting until he finished his quest, I asked him to be allowed to look through his picked records.
    When I saw them I nearly got a heart attack: All killer rare Jazz, Krautrock & Psych records...I can`t remember the exact titles of the records because I repressed these memories...
    When the seller said that each record is 1??? I got totally frustrated. In fact I was so frustrated that I walked away without checking the remaining records the hippie guy left behind.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I passed on a MINT german original of Tago Mago (on United Artists) for about, ooh, $30 in brazil just now

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    St. Pius Seminary X Choir- Each One Heard In His Own Language About The Marvels Of God(Montgomery Chapel Related). Left it behind at the same spot I left the unplayed copies of The Sylvers Iⅈ behind. Yes, color me stupid as it was unplayed and only cost 78 cents. Thought it was a gospel terd.

• Turned down this swedish post-punk LP

for a $1.00 (!) at a fleamarket a while ago.

Walked in to a store a week later and saw a guy pay $300 for it

• Turned down this swedish post-punk LP

for a $1.00 (!) at a fleamarket a while ago.

Walked in to a store a week later and saw a guy pay $300 for it

• Two that will always break my heart, and still feel like they occurred just yesterday.

1.) About ten years ago when I started to really get into digging, I hit up a local spot on my way home from high school. The homie that worked the counter knew I was looking for braeks and other raers, and pulls out a minty promo of Marlena Shaw's- Spice of Life and says listen to this shit. Listening to California Soul and the drum break I was floored. I looked at the price tag and it was $10 bucks, however for some odd reason I had also pulled a Roy Ayers- Daddy Bug that was also $10. Looking in my wallet, I realized I only had $10, so I had to choose between the two. Needless to say I pulled an Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade type foul, and chose wrong. Still have never found one in the field after all these years....

2.) This one will forever haunt me. About eight years ago I was visiting a friend out of state in Chicago. Went to everyone's favorite store for the first time, Dus**G****e, and just started browsing. After about ten minutes, I looked at the wall and was instantly drawn to the beautiful artwork of a jazz album on the wall. I looked up and saw it was an og Tina Brooks- True Blue on W. 63rd etc. Looked at the price tag and saw it was selling for $150. Seeing that I didn't have that much cash on me, I resolved to go to an ATM and come back and cop immediately. Well you can imagine the rest of the story by the time I came back from said ATM.

The moral of my stories, always make sure your pockets are fat when hunting for records...

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Some years ago i was in a small town checking the one local shop that sells 2nd hand vinyl. I was there with my girl.
    Now, i didn't want to buy vinyls (except grails for a buck), because of serious record purchases i'd made, and we had had an argument about, let's say, the financial side of things.
    So, i quickly flipped through the dollar bins on the floor, where i pulled a minty Harold McNair s/t (the hipster) LP.
    Then i spoke some memorable words like:"Look honey, normally i'd pick this up. Strange cover, strange label, UK jazz". Then to show her i had strong will and i put it back.
    Found out couple of months later what i actually pulled. I went back but ofcourse it was gone.

Moral of my story: no need to act tougher than you are to your girl. She knows you are weak for the vinyls. Better make good financial arrangements.

http://www.popsike.com/HAROLD-MCNAIR-RCA-VICTOR-SF-7969-1st-PRESS-UK-1968-LP/370089912146.html

• nrr. jens risom coffee table - at svdp in hick ass michigan - $20. didn't have the cash on me -- figured i could come back the next day -- figured wrong.

I FUCKED UP

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    jammy said:
    digging fail = back in 1997. six crates of dewolfe libraries at 50 cents a piece. i only bought one because i didn't know what they were at the time *sigh*

Blacktown Records back in around 1998 had a full crate of Telemusic LPs @ $1 a pop... and like you Jammy, I just bought one because I didn't know what they were.

• working in the shop during a very slow time, not a lot of business for a few months and a dude walked in with a couple boxes of 45s...ill stuff, tons of raer Memphis sides, all unplayed(dudes dad was a local music journalist), all from '65 to '75...stuff like Stacy Lane "No Ending", Ann Caudell...heavy shit...about 600 records. After peeping a few $200+ 45s, I didnt look at the rest and said I would take them. He said he wanted a buck a piece, so $600...awesome. However, shop owner was out of town and I had to call him before I wrote a check for that much. Thing is, he was at a fucking Yankees game and he was all worked up (over the game I presume) when I called and he would not listen to my pleas that we would make our money back with just a couple records at most, the rest gravy...but he refused to let me drop $600. I only had a few hundred dollars in my checking account at the time and my calls to people who I knew who get me the money quickly were not returned quick enough, so I had to let dude walk. The person who bought the collection made $3000(Tommy and the Derbys) on just one of the 45s. I lost sleep for a week after letting that collection walk out the door. I refrained from telling the owner what the dudes who bought the collection made on it, as I know he would of freaked out. I shoulda just written the check, dealt with him being pissed off for a day or two..Im sure he would of been ok with it after we sold them.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    working in the shop during a very slow time, not a lot of business for a few months and a dude walked in with a couple boxes of 45s...ill stuff, tons of raer Memphis sides, all unplayed(dudes dad was a local music journalist), all from '65 to '75...stuff like Stacy Lane "No Ending", Ann Caudell...heavy shit...about 600 records. After peeping a few $200+ 45s, I didnt look at the rest and said I would take them. He said he wanted a buck a piece, so $600...awesome. However, shop owner was out of town and I had to call him before I wrote a check for that much. Thing is, he was at a fucking Yankees game and he was all worked up (over the game I presume) when I called and he would not listen to my pleas that we would make our money back with just a couple records at most, the rest gravy...but he refused to let me drop $600. I only had a few hundred dollars in my checking account at the time and my calls to people who I knew who get me the money quickly were not returned quick enough, so I had to let dude walk. The person who bought the collection made $3000(Tommy and the Derbys) on just one of the 45s. I lost sleep for a week after letting that collection walk out the door. I refrained from telling the owner what the dudes who bought the collection made on it, as I know he would of freaked out. I shoulda just written the check, dealt with him being pissed off for a day or two..Im sure he would of been ok with it after we sold them.

Sick.....sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

• leon said:
    She knows you are weak for the vinyls.

She knows I r weekz for the vinylz.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Les DeMerle "Spectrum" for $4 at a record fair about 10 yrs ago. I had no clue what it was.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    all these stories funnily make me feel better

• I usually dig solo...but the couple of times I've been out with others I've had a couple gems snapped from under my nose...I'm lookin at you, wyze (jokes!).

I had a near-miss on Nick Ayoub one time...saw it deep in the stacks for $8...wasn't familiar...let it sit. Months go by and I finally catch wind of it. I ran back confident that it had been snapped up, but thankfully there it was.

• I passed up numerous sealed copies of stuff on the TSG label when I was still green. I don't think about it as much since it was almost 10 years ago.

• Options
    accidentally gave away a copy of beau brummels 66 - i had too much to dream last night lp

my lost, but I'm happy thinking that somebody else is enjoying it.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    About two years ago...a quick stop into a thrift that never produces anything...came across this

Looked instersting, but didnt know about it, was in a hurry, didnt have any cash and figured "why put $1.07 on my CC" and left.
    Got home, looked it up, criedandcriedandcried, couldnt sleep that night, got up early drove about an hour out of my way, before work, in the snow, to get there when they opened again, it was gone.

Also, just this past summer, had a $4.99 rega turntable in my hands at a thrift, set it down to go use the bathroom, came back and it was gone. Asked all the staff if they picked it up to restock, no dice. We asked the cashier and she said some dude came up with it in a real hurry and left in a hurry to.

I hate even thinking about these stories, but its fun to share the pain.

• Band X for $5.

The one that I wince at was passing up a whole box of sealed copies of a local latin lp that is still pretty under the radar and goes for $200 when it pops up (which is hardly ever). i bought one copy in worse shape for $5. actually if i could go back to that day in january 2008 with what i know now, i could have done it so much bigger. for sure i flipped right past some amazing stuff.

i still make mistakes, didnt grab that skated james mason for $2 last august. passing up stuff i should have gripped is just the nature of this, i think its always going to happen and i try to just accept it. with the stuff i passed up back in the day i just recognize that there is a learning curve with this and especially at the beginning no one just first arrives on the scene knowing everything that is good and valuable.

• Back around 1999, when shops were starting to list inventory online. Dealer in Louisiana had just refreshed a pretty long inventory list..ordered a handful of 45s. Went over the list again that night. Immediately called the first thing the next day only to learn he just sold the Salt on Choctaw.

• I had to dig deep to find this one. It was about 2 years ago when I went to my local record boutique and I was just sifting around. I wasn't looking for anything specific, but something told me to go to the "Classical/Experimental" section. I saw this record with an Italian composer on the cover wearing a yellow sweater. I decided to needle drop it and lo and behold it had some of the most eerie violins and bass I've ever heard. I didn't have enough money to buy it, so I did what most others do:

Hide it close to the back of the section, but not too far back because the records put all the way to the back always garner interest from those who lurk.

So I came back to the boutique about 3 days later to see if the record was still there. I was shattered. Shattered, I say. I saw it not where I thought it would be the last time I thoughtfully put it there. I looked in the neighboring sections. Nothing. And for the next few months all I could do was envision the record with an Italian composer wearing a yellow sweater. I think it was Bussotti, but I'm not too sure of it.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    About two years ago...a quick stop into a thrift that never produces anything...came across this

Looked instersting, but didnt know about it, was in a hurry, didnt have any cash and figured "why put $1.07 on my CC" and left.
    Got home, looked it up, criedandcriedandcried, couldnt sleep that night, got up early drove about an hour out of my way, before work, in the snow, to get there when they opened again, it was gone.

one dollar?wow, that's painful man, but yeah it's all relative..

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    fckvwls said:
    Two that will always break my heart, and still feel like they occurred just yesterday.

2.) This one will forever haunt me. About eight years ago I was visiting a friend out of state in Chicago. Went to everyone's favorite store for the first time, Dus**G****e, and just started browsing. After about ten minutes, I looked at the wall and was instantly drawn to the beautiful artwork of a jazz album on the wall. I looked up and saw it was an og Tina Brooks- True Blue on W. 63rd etc. Looked at the price tag and saw it was selling for $150. Seeing that I didn't have that much cash on me, I resolved to go to an ATM and come back and cop immediately. Well you can imagine the rest of the story by the time I came back from said ATM.

Oouch. DGA does take plastic for future reference.

• I passed on an OG of Placebo's s/t when I first started digging for $2, and I've been a hoarder of every record I come across that I don't know since. So I've got stacks of shite records but no more regrets.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    I passed on an OG of Placebo's s/t when I first started digging for $2, and I've been a hoarder of every record I come across that I don't know since. So I've got stacks of shite records but no more regrets.

we have a painful winner!

my regrets is trading in african records for 8$ a piece that would now be worth hella scratch

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    pcmr said:

we have a painful winner!

close second here. 3 years ago, a near mint lovelites lp for 8 euros in the shop down my street. i even had it in my hands twice, didnt bother to pick it up, as I jedimindtricked myself that it wasn't what I thought it was. And this after reading reynaldos review of the record. one of my darkest record hunting moments, when it all came down on me what I had left there. Of course it was gone when I came back after some time....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just happened. Got away, but I really don't have regrets.
    This is also for the What Will Happen To My Records When I Die thread.

One day at a record show back in 1991 or so I saw an old man with an Astor Piazzaolla t shirt.
    I went up to him and said "I think Piazzolla is a fucking genius". We might have been the only 2 people at the show who knew who Piazzolla was.
    We started talking and became record friends.

The guy was French, a close personal friend of Piazzolla's, the most obsessive tango collector in the world. He had owned a store in Paris from the early 50s until the mid 80s. Sold only Opera, Tango and American Jazz. Specialized in 78s. When Piazzolla first moved to Paris, as a student, they were roommates.

When he died 2+ years ago I posted here and linked to his story.
    http://blog.oregonlive.com/lifestories/2008/08/life_story_edouard_pecourt.html

I do not, or have not, done widow calls; "hello I hear your husband died can I buy his records".
    She did email me the news, and I sent condolences, and again to rsvp to the memorial service.

Apparently other people did make calls and have been hounding her for years now.
    She decided a few weeks ago to call me instead.

She had already sold his 3,000 cylinders.
    http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/pecourt.php
    To UCSB who are digitalizing them. You can read more about him and listen to cylinders if you follow the link.
    Records can be sold to libraries.

She sold 25,000! 78s to a famous classical 78 collector. I also noticed Teffteller was selling some of them, so maybe they did a joint deal.

But what he really collected was tango. Every audio, video, print format; film, tape, vinyl, cd, book, magazine, spanish, english, french, japanese... for 50+ years.

I was not offered the tango collection. A number of institutions are attempting to raise enough money to buy the collection.

I was offered the non tango lps and 45s. 7,000-9,000 records.
    First thing I see are about 75 mint 1950s French 10" chansons. Very cool, but no real value.
    More than half the records are classical.
    Lots of jazz, but no post swing artists. Almost none. About 12 Carmen McRae records.
    No Miles, no Dizzy, no Coltrane, no Brubeck...
    I find one Blue Note. A 10" Mead Lux Lewis.
    About 100 Bixbiderbeck lps. 150 Ellingtons, 75 Louis Armstrong, 50 Count Basies...
    But mostly random thrift store oddities.
    No rock and roll, except 2 mint Cash Sun eps, and 2 mint Laverne Baker on Atlantic eps and a handful Ike and Tina Turner 45s (not mint) and a dozen French Elvis Picture sleeves. Thats it for the whole 7,000+ records.
    Those 45s and a box of unplayed early jazz and blues records on Biograph and Folkways are all the value I find.
    There is tons of cool stuff, some valuable, like a small stack of heavy metal shape discs and 78rpm picture discs.
    But mostly oddities, like 100s of South American folkloric 45s and 100s of Sonoramas. What am I supposed to do with those?

My bid was awful low. Fortunately I know THE classical guy and bring him back.
    The classicals are just like the stuff I saw. Cool, but nothing of great value, and lots and lots of the wrong pressings of common stuff.

I am sure that his really good jazz and classical is hidden somewhere in the massive tango room.

We are able to double the bid. But she doesn't like it.
    She found someone, I can't imagine who, that out bid us.

I wish I could have had some of those, but being spared the headache of thousands of turds is greater than the heartache of losing the collection.