'Sly' Rhodes solo

TomOTomO 169 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Well I had a go at Chameleon so I thought the next step was to go for 'Sly' - it's much, much more difficult to play, but I hope you enjoy it all the same:

Cheers,
Tom

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    5 stars.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    :feelin_it:

I bought a Rhodes over Christmas and I'm proud of myself for being able to play simple chord progressions.

Saw a documentary that's on demand on Ovation about Miles Davis and his Bitches Brew years called "Miles Electric: A Different Kind of Blue ". A must see for Rhodes fans. They interviewed Herbie who was all ready to play acoustic piano for a session and Davis instructed him to play a Rhodes sitting in the corner. Hancock was like "what? this toy?". Little did he know it would usher a whole new sound.

• nice work Tom! are you in a band? how about "actual proof" from the thrust album for the next one?

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Raj, that's great that you've got a Rhodes - it's one of the purest, beautiful sounds we have available to make music with in my opinion!
    @ bigchalz I'm not in a specific band at the moment but I gig with mates around Cambridge (UK) and I'm trying to write my own stuff - once that's done then I'll form a band to gig the stuff live. I will add 'Actual Proof' to the list, but I want to do the Magic Windows solo, and probably Come Running To Me and Sun Touch before I go onto Actual Proof!
    Thanks for watching the video too,
    Tom

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Good stuff Tom. Been gazumped on a Rhodes a few times. Given up on it now, won't have the time or space to practice with the kids.

Have you heard of the geezer who tours with Beady Belle, his name is J??rn ??ien? If you search youtube for "Beady belle Moderation live" there are some nice clips of his work. The best take the band did on this tune was at Fabrik in Hamburg. I have it on mp3. It is, hands down, the WORST quality mp3 I have, it's been recorded on a phone or summat, but despite the dropouts in audio, the solo is a melter. I can hook ya up, let me know.

Keep up the good work, after seeing Dan 73 getting his shine, would be good to see your own stuff out!

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    good work! shit, i'm embarrassed to say that I own a rhodes and it sits there largely unplayed

do you know 'funny funk' by george duke, one of the best rhodes riffs of all time IMO. Suspended chords all over the place!

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    utters said:
    good work! shit, i'm embarrassed to say that I own a rhodes and it sits there largely unplayed

do you know 'funny funk' by george duke, one of the best rhodes riffs of all time IMO. Suspended chords all over the place!

You should set the Rhodes up and get playing!
    Yes, I love 'funny funk' - got all Duke's LPS from Inner Source up to the Brazilian Love Affair era... I still prefer the sound Herbie got from a suitcase Rhodes though, way above anybody else.

• damn man thats was dope, nuthin beats some solid lacing on a rhodes, i love to see you rockin out with a band man. :feelin_it:

• damn! nice job! makes me wanna run out and pick up a decent keyboard i can play and start jamming along w/ some tracks.

very nice dude. A++ would do business w/ again.