Planetary Citizen/Braek History ???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
I just copped the Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Worlds just to get Planetary Citizen.

One of my favorite "breaks". Ive only owned it in the Break Records form.

Im wondering who chose that record? Was it the comp dude that knew themselves?
Did they get advised? Were their consultants involved?

Was it a jam staple that got recognized or was the record creator throwin it on there themselves?

"Oh u gotta throw that John McLaughlin on there, cats dig that shit!"

Anybody have stories on how those Braek joints got complied?

Ive always took them for granted. And thought dudes just threw on what was hot in jams.

Is there a backstory?

Old dudes? Young Research dudes?

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I think SS's very own Cosmo Baker shed some light on the story here . Hope that helps a bit...funny enough, I also bought this record just a few weeks ago.

• that mahavishnu album is one of the most atypical (read: weaker) entries in their catalogue but narada michaael walden is a monster on the skins. its more of a mclaughlin solo thing than anything else. how it became a ubb staple is above my pay grade..

here is another common rock ubb break nmw is famous for from the same period:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Thanx yall and Cosmo.

I remember the old man behind the counter at Music Factory.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    UB&B and its overall sensibility had an impact on my own ideas about music that cannot be overstated. Stone-tablet shit of the highest order.

And for what it's worth, I have a faint memory of reading somewhere that Charlie Chase was the one who really broke "Planetary Citizen."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah apparently there are more nuances to the story as Lou told me about so I hope to get a deeper story from him soon. He speaks a little about it on this jawn right here http://cosmobaker.com/2010/08/breakbeat-tuesday-food-for-thought/

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    This dude could probably help.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Yesterday i passed on another John McLaughlin record. Is it any good?

http://www.discogs.com/Mahavishnu-John-McLaughlin-My-Goals-Beyond/master/75623

• finelikewine said:
    Yesterday i passed on another John McLaughlin record. Is it any good?

spiritual, acoustic fusion record featuring a host of ex-miles side-men and future members of mahavishnu orchestra mach 1. first side is a 2-part modal suite with a strong bassline from charlie haden, side 2 is a mix of standards and originals. no braeks yo! but it has both intensity and pastoral moments; lots of chordal playing and some indian flavour in the mix. i think most would find it more palatable than many of the bombastic electric sessions that followed. it's not rare at all and you should be able to get a copy for no more than 5 bucks.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    that mahavishnu album is one of the most atypical (read: weaker) entries in their catalogue but narada michaael walden is a monster on the skins. its more of a mclaughlin solo thing than anything else. how it became a ubb staple is above my pay grade..

I know Narada's on that album, but I thought it was Ed Greene who played on Come Dancing.

• DocMcCoy said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    that mahavishnu album is one of the most atypical (read: weaker) entries in their catalogue but narada michaael walden is a monster on the skins. its more of a mclaughlin solo thing than anything else. how it became a ubb staple is above my pay grade..

I know Narada's on that album, but I thought it was Ed Greene who played on Come Dancing.

i didn't even realize ed greene played on this album.

so a quick wiki search shows that "come dancing" is a narada tune and that ed greene plays second drum kit but only on that song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_(album)

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    james said:
    UB&B and its overall sensibility had an impact on my own ideas about music that cannot be overstated. Stone-tablet shit of the highest order.

And for what it's worth, I have a faint memory of reading somewhere that Charlie Chase was the one who really broke "Planetary Citizen."

We really need Phill to drop a little science here but, as I always understood it, rock breaks and left-of-centre shit were one of Charlie Chase's trademarks. In that Born In The Bronx book from a few years ago, there's this one shot taken at a Cold Crush show where The Long Run can be seen peeking out of the top of the crates, and that picture must have been taken back when it was still a fairly new record.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Planetary Citizen was definitely a break that got played at jams in the late 70's, as heard on old tapes
    not sure who first broke it or if it was any specific dj's trademark though
    - it pops up on this as well
    Live Convention 77-79