February Finds

Comments

Attached files #2.jpg" style="max-width:300px" />

Attached files #2.jpg" style="max-width:300px" />

• fela was on the wall in a "collectors" shop (toys, comics, records) in saint paul. asked dude how he got that cause i was curious as it is og, and he said a buddy in iowa sold him a stack of records that it was in.

the rest of the lps are things i've gotten the past few months (sorry for cheating...just now in 2011 am with gear to post pics) around town...thrifts, record shops.

trevor dandy (again, sorry for cheating) was mailed to me from a buddy in new york about 3 years ago...dude thought it was simply a cool cover, so he pasted a pic of my face on trevor's...check it out closer...thought i'd include it here cause i came across it whilst picking out new stuff to share.

and the rest are 78s i've gotten this month from the 78 dealer shop in town.

don't know if it fits on the strut, but i've been obsessed with 20s and 30s jazz 78s recently.

the blind willie johnsons are internet buys.

• fela was on the wall in a "collectors" shop (toys, comics, records) in saint paul. asked dude how he got that cause i was curious as it is og, and he said a buddy in iowa sold him a stack of records that it was in.

the rest of the lps are things i've gotten the past few months (sorry for cheating...just now in 2011 am with gear to post pics) around town...thrifts, record shops.

trevor dandy (again, sorry for cheating) was mailed to me from a buddy in new york about 3 years ago...dude thought it was simply a cool cover, so he pasted a pic of my face on trevor's...check it out closer...thought i'd include it here cause i came across it whilst picking out new stuff to share.

and the rest are 78s i've gotten this month from the 78 dealer shop in town.

don't know if it fits on the strut, but i've been obsessed with 20s and 30s jazz 78s recently.

the blind willie johnsons are internet buys.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Ones that didn't get away this week:

Short eyes C Mayfield, Caribeana carib field recordings, John Thomas (funky German 1982 private EP), Hans Dulfer, Love Twins 'temptation' promo, Ollie Baba, Sun Ra on Actuel.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    leon said:
    Hans Dulfer

Nice LP. Latinjazzrock with skronky sax from Dulfer and a young Jan Akkerman on axe.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    duplicate

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    beatstew72 said:

i hope that pic of you he pasted on there comes off. have you ever listened to the record? specifically "is there any love"?

• of course i've listened to it! i quietly thanked my homie and checked it off the list

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    :zooted:

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Trevor Dandy? I'm jealous!

• I found that eminem and dr dre promo recently. Dude I don't think that is legit. That song "Make Money" doesn't have eminem or dre on it at all and doesnt sound like anyone on the level of them. that record does have some versions slightly different from the album release.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Trevor Dandy is still on my wants list. I found 3 copies at an out of town record show. I literally had run out of money by this time and asked the dealer to hold a copy for me. No one was even interested in the other two copies. He took my telephone number down and called me about 3 hours later. He told me he was leaving town to head back home and if I wanted he would meet me and give me the record and I could just send him the money in the next few days. He met up with me and we went to the trunk and he realized he unloaded the box they were in at his hotel room so he apologized and said he would send it to me. I never heard from him again. I had his info. so stayed on it and finally about 3 mos. later he told me he sold the other two copies as soon as he got back home and his daughter backed up in his office chair over my copy and broke it in half so he tossed it. I'm still looking...

• argh to that Dee

hows that sh*t happen always?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    fckvwls said:
    recent finds...

The Baatan and Gabor were $1 scores, and the Art Pepper $6 for a minty mono.

Are you keeping the Art Pepper?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    leon said:
    Ones that didn't get away this week:

Short eyes C Mayfield, Caribeana carib field recordings, John Thomas (funky German 1982 private EP), Hans Dulfer, Love Twins 'temptation' promo, Ollie Baba, Sun Ra on Actuel.

Ollie Baba, aka Inspectah Deck's funkay doppelganger!

• The art pepper will be flipped pm me.

• Breez, nice find with that Orange Colored Sky on UNI. yet another record that ive personally never seen in person, that most people dont seem to have trouble finding - or dont want it!

nice 78s! they certainly do have a place here. cool that theres any available in your area to pick from. i havent seen anything worth looking at (besides some childrens stuff) in forever. seems like no one even goes to look at 78s anymore, so they dont end up in circulation - its like a one way ticket to the landfill. a big shame because mixed in with the endless 78 chud are the good ones like what you got there.

and yeah, trevor Dandy FTW! wow.

anyway heres what i got last weekend..

^^ "you gotta walk it" OST is pre Steely Dan Becker and Fagen

^^ nicest maggot brain ive ever found, mint white label. 1st ripperton gatefold ive turned up in like 5 years.

^^ the Elgart is actually my longest white whale, been seeking since '97! mostly wanted it for the cover art by Alex Shomburg, known for his golden age comic book covers and 50s sci fi novel covers, etc.

^^ the cut-off "dear john" is Jackie Moore. and rare example of finding multiples of the good one.

^^ had to buy this for the lol cover. thats right, fuck you, lone ranger! haha....

• Karlophone

what's that Leadbelly joint? looks like a box set? how many records in it? Love Huddie Leadbetter

• there's a store (a fantastic store!) in my area dedicated to 78s only. and old equipment. i'd say it's my favorite record store ever. even though it's on;y 78s.
    it's where you go to sell 78s. they have millions of records. finding good blues in minnesota is pretty much impossible, but there are some good jazz records.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    am I insane or is that trevor dandy caucasianed
    almost seems like you photoshopped leo sayers face in it

• havent found any bonafide small label raers in a minute, but have been finding really nice copies of big label stuff..

• beatstew72 said:
    Karlophone

what's that Leadbelly joint? looks like a box set? how many records in it? Love Huddie Leadbetter

yeah its "leadbellys last sessions" vol 1on folkways, 3 disc set. i think its the 1st edition, as i also have a vol 1 and vol 2 that look totally different, more 60s.

actually the earliest folkways were 10"s so i dont really know where this one falls in.

• a few pickups today upon visiting the new diskunion jazz in ocha
    Attached files

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Sounds all too familiar with that T.D. record. Still regret not scooping that Trevor Dandy at GOODRECORDSNYC. Surprisingly I had the cash in my pocket and haven't seen a real world copy since. DOH!

BTW, Anyone have the mix this was featured on from about four/five years ago, i cant find my rip??? Mix also contained "am I good man" by Them Two amongst other heated tracks. Shot in the dark...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Some highlights from a house call today.

• Breez said:
    Some highlights from a house call today.

nice day!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    a few pickups today upon visiting the new diskunion jazz in ocha

that wouldn't happen to be a skatalites lp on the bottom left, would it? I sold one to Japan a while back.

• [quote author="tokyobeats" date=1297426977
    that wouldn't happen to be a skatalites lp on the bottom left, would it? I sold one to Japan a while back.

no, it's SHE - EASY MONEY

bad imaging >,