eps 16+ advice

andyhoopsandyhoops 154 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
i'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem, everytime i load up a sound onto a disk and load it into the keyboard the sound always has a crackle at the beginning of it. any idea why this might be happening?

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    not sure if i understood your question right, but youre probably not chopping at a zero crossing.

you can fix that with a supersmall envelope attack... or by chopping correctly.

first line there is a zero crossing.

• i was so happy the day i bought an mpc and got rid of that machine...

• dizzydizzy 11 Posts
    i was so happy the day i bought an mpc and got rid of that machine...

Really? I have an EPS Classic which is pretty good, but to each his own.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I will be so happy the day I get rid of my mpc... 2000 that is. I HATE it! Someone should make a heater graemlin with an MPC in it!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    What's the problem with an MPC 2000? My brother used to use a 2000XL but he doesn't use it no more. He said it crashed and had a lot more negative things to say about that machine. He also says that the MPC 1000 shits[/b] on the 2000XL. So what's really good with the MP? I was thinking of coppin' one but now it seems quite .

• i was so happy the day i bought an mpc and got rid of that machine...

I will be so happy the day I get rid of my mpc... 2000 that is. I HATE it! Someone should make a heater graemlin with an MPC in it!

I got rid of my MPC2000XL sometime last year. It thins the shit out of your drums, the screen got lines through it, I couldn't stand it. I now use an Ensoniq EPS16+ Rack & an Akai MPC60II. I do miss being able to sample in stereo and using the reverb on the 2000XL. I would like to find a sampler that can sample in stereo but won't break the bank, and some effects would be nice, but otherwise I'm okay with my setup.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I got rid of my MPC2000XL sometime last year. It thins the shit out of your drums, the screen got lines through it, I couldn't stand it. I now use an Ensoniq EPS16+ Rack & an Akai MPC60II. I do miss being able to sample in stereo and using the reverb on the 2000XL. I would like to find a sampler that can sample in stereo but won't break the bank, and some effects would be nice, but otherwise I'm okay with my setup.

Yeah, the MPC2000 really thins out your drums and bass. You can get them back to work, but the regular sound of the MPC is just bad. My display is broke too. I'll stick with a new sound card. That's all you need. Before I got the MPC, I was programming drum tracks on a very old wave editor. Worked out fine...

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    It thins out your drums? That's a new one. The only thing that sometimes bothers me about my 2kXL is the fact that the sampler is so clean. I honestly can't hear much difference between sampling into my soundcard and into the mpc.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    It thins out your drums? That's a new one. The only thing that sometimes bothers me about my 2kXL is the fact that the sampler is so clean. I honestly can't hear much difference between sampling into my soundcard and into the mpc.

its a pretty known fact that the mpcs sound thin. exept for one model, the mpc 3000. i mean honestly, i dont think anyone is buying the new mpcs because of their sound. they buy it pretty much completely because of the sequencer, the pads, the way it let you chop samples, etc.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    It's a pretty known fact that it doesn't fatten up your sound like another sampler might. But you guys are in the minority saying that it makes sounds thinner. On a nice pair of monitors, a clean mixer, and a good needle, I dare you to listen to a break first, sample it into the mpc and find any noticeable differences. I remember some site that had drum samples sampled on an mpc2000, an sp1200 and maybe another akai sampler(?), the differences were not in simple "fatness" of sound.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    It's a pretty known fact that it doesn't fatten up your sound like another sampler might. But you guys are in the minority saying that it makes sounds thinner. On a nice pair of monitors, a clean mixer, and a good needle, I dare you to listen to a break first, sample it into the mpc and find any noticeable differences. I remember some site that had drum samples sampled on an mpc2000, an sp1200 and maybe another akai sampler(?), the differences were not in simple "fatness" of sound.

yaah and it's a pretty known fact that this 'majority' youre talking about think their shit is tighter than premo and pete rock combined, know what i mean? these heads have a pretty suspect relationship with their mpc, defending it like its their wife of something.

but yo im sure we both know better than this, lets take this to a serious level!

ive used the mpc2000 myself, and the asr-10, and the emax (12bit sampler from emu, same soundchips as the sp1200 pretty much). i love them all (including the mpc2000) but for completely different reasons. there is a big difference in sound between all of them. the asr has a very complete sound, there is a clear difference in both high frequency sounds and the lower midrange / bass frequencies. the 2k simply requires more eqing in the mix if you want to make it hit harder.

i remember that page you are talking about, and i understand your point of view if thats what you base your knowledge around. the breaks sampled in those files were pretty damn unfat to begin with. kind of silly to compare em with breaks that dont really have any low kicks or fat high frequencies. it didnt really give a decent picture of the differences in those samplers. someone should tell the creators to do the same thing with some classic breaks we all know instead, like say skull snaps and melvin bliss.

but honestly, this doesnt give a fair picture either, atleast not with the sp1200 since its all about the filters and the ruff pitch in that sampler.

point is tho, that all those samplers are dope, but in different ways. if you want to learn more about eqing the mpc i can help you get on the right track.

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    why don't you just eq the drums before you put them into the mpc?....that's what i do

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I didn't mean to get into beef with MPC2000. It's totally useful for chopping and programming drums.
    Anyway, I noticed that snares and hihats (single drum sounds) sound totally different on my sound card. I always thought that my MPC makes my drums sound thinner. That's all. Might just be me...

But I really think that the MPC2000 series got a very characteristic sound that I don't like.

• why don't you just eq the drums before you put them into the mpc?....that's what i do
    yeah, all you have to do is run it through any dj mixer with an equalizer before you sample it, and you can get a nice sound out of it.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    why don't you just eq the drums before you put them into the mpc?....that's what i do
    yeah, all you have to do is run it through any dj mixer with an equalizer before you sample it, and you can get a nice sound out of it.

im sure that could work. but really. its all bout running things through this beauty here:

• i'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem, everytime i load up a sound onto a disk and load it into the keyboard the sound always has a crackle at the beginning of it. any idea why this might be happening?
    i used one for years and i had this prob when the disc drives went bad. peace, stein. . .