No Tracklist Specified

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
This has become an epidemic in the mixes section.

Heads are posting gorgeous mixes but are not specifying track lists. In an age where about 99% of what you hear is available on a blog or whatever, why do folks pull this :shh:

Is it:

(A) Paranoia
(B) Laziness
(C) Ego (gets off on people begging for track list names)
or (D) All of the Above

The pet peeve threads have got me going today

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    RAJ said:
    In an age where about 99% of what you hear is available on a blog or whatever

I think that answers your question.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    RAJ said:
    In an age where about 99% of what you hear is available on a blog or whatever

I think that answers your question.

Oh -- so every tom, dick, and harry will dl it and start spinning it?? It's easy enough just to splice up the DJ mix and have the song as well.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I believe it's D) and it infuriates me no end. I have no qualms about asking about a piece I really liked, but really, if you don't want to share the knowledge, why put up a mix?

I'm not sure if a specific thread has ever been started about this, but I'm sure the topic has cropped up here in the past. Some want all info available in the spirit of sharing, others see it as making life too easy in an age when everything is just a Click away anyway, still others enjoy the thrill of the unexpected.

While I regularly hear mystery tracks that I'd love to find and own myself, I'm aware that some of my most valuable, oft-returned-to mixes are the mystery ones, so I fully understand the ethos of trying, in a world of blogs and downloads for everything, to stand-out a little by leaving some detective work for the listener.

E) maybe it'll start conversations? Track IDing mixes often happens here, so surely no harm?

• I did not used to feel this way, but these days I kind of feel like we owe it to the artists to post track lists.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am guilty as charged on this (laziness)
    but my next mix will be fully trcklisted

• RAJ said:

Heads are posting gorgeous mixes but are not specifying track lists. In an age where about 99% of what you hear is available on a blog or whatever, why do folks pull this :shh:

Is it:

(A) Paranoia
    (B) Laziness
    or (D) All of the Above

(D) for days...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    @duder- do you think you listen to a good mix less when there is a TL? Just asking. Not being a dick.

jinx74 said:
    @duder- do you think you listen to a good mix less when there is a TL? Just asking. Not being a dick.

Definitely if it's just a regular 'selector' mix, because I'll go out an cop all of the tunes that I like the most, whereas a mix that is more about DJ skills and less about strength of obscure selections will always get play on the strength of the beatmatching, the blends, scratching, FX or whatever.
    Of course the best mixes blend a tracklist of obscure and classic stuff, tasefully mixed in a way that compliments the original tracks better than hearing them on their own...

In todays world of music, with so much choice, so much stuff available for free, there aren't actually that many mixes that I can be bothered to listen to all the way through more than a couple of times now because my listening standards/expectations have been raised.
    I also don't bother to store anything less than 360 bit rate.
    Too much to hear, too little time.

In further defence of tracklisted mixes, if Cosmo Baker is reading, I still bump his Still Good mix (the one with some Archie Whitewater and Les Fleur) because it's a brilliant mixture of classics & obscurities, smooth transitions, and he understands and doesn't disturb the groove. I pass this on to as many people as I can of ages from 18 to 65, and have never had poor feedback. So you don't need to be J.Rocc or the Psychonauts to get love, and you don't have to be hiding the tracks for a mix to hold enduring value... honest :cheese:

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    So the joints in the mixes in the mix section can be downloaded? I don't even need to have a play list I just want to figure out how to down load the mixes!

sweatshop said:
    So the joints in the mixes in the mix section can be downloaded? I don't even need to have a play list I just want to figure out how to down load the mixes!

Believe me, I have my reasons for not making it easy to DL mixes.

A way to do it is:

View Source in your browser

Find > .mp3

That will bring you to the code where the mp3 is streaming from.

• Or, E ... We were drunk. Tracklisting coming up.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    still others enjoy the thrill of the unexpected.

Bingo. It's much more fun to try to figure out tracklistings on your own. I love finding shit that was used on tracklist-less mixes. Much more rewarding and educational, IMO.

B/w

People feel free to pm me if you have any track Id questions for any of my mixes!

• Done

• F) I'm high as a kite or drunk at 4am when i make a mix.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    pcmr said:
    i am guilty as charged on this (laziness)

this and the fact that i make a lot of mixes, often when i am :slowburner:

Raj have you thought of doing a soundcloud or official fm page to host the soul strut mixes to ease your bandwidth worries then embed them on the mix page?

• I don't listen to mixes without tracklists, because I assume it's some short attention span, "I'm only using 10 seconds of a song" shit. That shit does not interest me. Also I've begun to listen to some labeled as " soul and funk" and there is gross 80s shit all over it. I am probably not the target audience for mixes however. But, in short, I prefer tracklists, not for stealing someone elses selections, but for knowing what I am getting myself into.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'd rather have the track list than the mix itself.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    I'd rather have the track list than the mix itself.
    ha ha ha ha ha
    best answer

I don't mind tracklistless mixes especially if there's that one song that grabs you but no one seems to know what it is. believe it or not but it is a good feeling and a good thing. chances are you'll expand your horizons while trying to find out what that song is

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    RAJ said:

Is it:

(A) Paranoia
    (B) Laziness
    or (D) All of the Above

Hi Raj,

I'm glad you posted this as I feel the same. I was just listening to Royale With Beats the other day, which has some crazy shit on it. I haven't listened to it since 2003? Would you mind posting a tracklisting? (I'm not trying to be cute, I'm genuinely curious about what you used in that mix).

Kindly,
    parallax

parallax said:
    RAJ said:

Is it:

(A) Paranoia
    (B) Laziness
    or (D) All of the Above

Hi Raj,

I'm glad you posted this as I feel the same. I was just listening to Royale With Beats the other day, which has some crazy shit on it. I haven't listened to it since 2003? Would you mind posting a tracklisting? (I'm not trying to be cute, I'm genuinely curious about what you used in that mix).

Kindly,
    parallax

:oh_snap:

I had a track list that I would give to heads who asked. Obviously there was never one on the CD for licensing purposes. Nevertheless, I don't have it any more as it is long gone from my migration from PC to Mac in 2006.

Even if I wanted to do one, a lot of it is Polish Prog and French Library shit I sold years a go that I couldn't remember the name of for the life of me anyways. Forever a mystery.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    RAJ said:
    parallax said:
    RAJ said:

Is it:

(A) Paranoia
    (B) Laziness
    or (D) All of the Above

Hi Raj,

Kindly,
    parallax

:oh_snap:

I had a track list that I would give to heads who asked. Obviously there was never one on the CD for licensing purposes. Nevertheless, I don't have it any more as it is long gone from my migration from PC to Mac in 2006.

Even if I wanted to do one, a lot of it is Polish Prog and French Library shit I sold years a go that I couldn't remember the name of for the life of me anyways. Forever a mystery.

That's what I figured since you made the mix ages ago, but I had to ask.

Cheers,
    parallax

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Track listings can often be counterproductive and eventually lead to people just getting the tracks they like the most & no longer listening to the mix regardless of how good it is. What I find lazy is this constant need everybody has to just have everything right away. People will often dismiss a mix because they don't recognize the tracks or artists but would probably actually enjoy the music otherwise. How many times have you put your mp3 player on shuffle or whatever and find yourself liking songs you had forgotten or disregarded. Blind listening makes you hear differently. Even before I started record digging I remember searching for tracks based on some hook or some element in the song & I think it makes it more interesting to figure it out on your own.
    Half the time people are posting up track selections and labeling them as a mix. IMO that is not a mix, that's a compilation at best. I'd say this discussion is somewhat style dependent too, house music is strongly focused on the mix whereas other styles are mostly just about the selection or manipulative skills, etc...

• ost said:
    What I find lazy is this constant need everybody has to just have everything right away. .

cosignage. damn instant gratification society
    i love mystery mixes and the thrill of figuring the shit out. that also involves asking a lot of people, so its important to have a good community of folks at your back, which soulstrut is. plus theres shazzam and all kinds of other methods of figuring shit out, so why all the fuss? jusasksomebody or start a tracklist demystification thread (which is a nice tip of the hat to the person who put effort into making the mix in the first place)

• There's nothing stopping anyone from asking the DJ. Most of my mixes are 80% regular records and 20% what-the-fuckness. The former is just a matter of course and the latter is more on a need-to-know basis: maybe you don't need to know.

Mixes aren't licensed compilations, and the best ones rise above the sheer what's-what of their parts and pieces. If track lists were a requirement you would still be treated to some ol' "Percy Hutton & Them - Outerspace Restingplace pt. 2" business, that's if I had anything to say about it...