SF Restaurant Recommendations

badder_than_evilbadder_than_evil 951 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Can anyone recommend some great restaurants in SF please?
Looking for somewhere different to take my wife for her birthday and she would like to try something completely different.
Thanks in advance..

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Slanted Door, Vietnamese fusion at the ferry building. Amazing food! Have to make reservations.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'm wondering if this will get a sarcastic reply before a serious reply. In the mid-range, I really like Firefly on 24th St. for a place that brings the tasty-tasty without going nuts with the menu price. I had a chicken leg confit there that I'll tell my grandchildren about. I've had less spectacular dishes too, but I've never left feeling let down.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    http://www.berettasf.com/

I suggest the squid ink and the saffron with osso buco risotto. Fabulous cocktails as well. Can get very busy.

http://www.foreigncinema.com/

Always on top of their game. They also play movies at night on their patio, which can be romantic. I think the movies that they are playing is on their website.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    SF is a GREAT food city. I have had so many incredible meals there. LA got NOTHING on SF when it comes to food.

Dinner in the dining room at the Ritz Carlton SF. Chef Ron Siegel is AMAZING. One of the best meals I ever had was a salt and pepper tasting menu done by Chef Ron Siegel. He is the real deal.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/SanFrancisco/Dining/Default.htm

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/SanFrancisco/Dining/TheDiningRoom/Default.htm

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    You can kick it with 4D5N after your meal. This baller lives across the street from tha Ritz!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I mob SF and the whole Bay on a weekly basis...

http://www.thirstyreader.com/category/restaurant-reviews/san-francisco/

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    waxjunky said:
    I mob SF and the whole Bay on a weekly basis...

http://www.thirstyreader.com/category/restaurant-reviews/san-francisco/

^^^^ This guy knows what he is talkimbout.

musica said:
    You can kick it with 4D5N after your meal. This baller lives across the street from tha Ritz!

Nice hood!

• One of my favorites. Very unique cuisine too:

Burma SuperStar Restaurant

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Firefly looks like my choice this time. Thanks again.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

I have heard nothing, but wonderful things about this place. I need to go!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    SF is a GREAT food city. I have had so many incredible meals there. LA got NOTHING on SF when it comes to food.

Certifiable crazy talk. Either that or you've had some wack people take you around LA.

I think SF is a solid food city, especially for "fine dining" (and in that regard, it probably is on the same level with LA given the uneveness in this city). But outside of that, in pretty much any category I can imagine (esp. "ethnic"), LA sons the the shit out of SF. It's not even a contest when it comes to any Asian or Latin styles.

My wife and I always go to Absinthe in Hayes Valley for "grown up night out". Very solid French bistro and won't break le bank.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Big_Chan said:

Certifiable crazy talk. Either that or you've had some wack people take you around LA.

I think SF is a solid food city, especially for "fine dining" (and in that regard, it probably is on the same level with LA given the uneveness in this city). But outside of that, in pretty much any category I can imagine (esp. "ethnic"), LA sons the the shit out of SF. It's not even a contest when it comes to any Asian or Latin styles.

LA's fine dining is about as impressive as its skyscrapers, but I would agree that LA has far superior Asian and Latin offerings, probably the best in the country.

I'd say SF can beat LA in pizza, though.

Frankly, neither city has much to brag about, pizza-wise. The best you'll get is some "passably decent" fare, though I think Pizzeria Mozza does a pretty good job for a higher-end pizza and I can't think of a Bay Area equivalent.

I can't really defend LA's fine dining record if only because I haven't tried much of it. My meals at some supposed stand-bys like Hatfield's and Jar, for example, were perfectly fine, just not that memorable.

The LA gastropub/small plate trend has been really interesting; not sure if there's a Bay Area equivalent to places like Lazy Ox or Waterloo and City or Animal. Maybe it's because the defining food aesthetic in the Bay is still under the sway of Alice Waters or Thomas Keller whereas in LA, it's really a lot of younger male chefs in particular who seem to be pushing the city's culinary envelope.

Regardless though, for the cuisine I care the most about - all kinds of Asian + Mexican street food - LA was a revelation and a half.

Things that SF is far superior in? Bakeries and coffee (esp. bakeries).

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    musica said:

Ahem... you forgot to specify that it's the penthouse across the street. We look down on the Ritz. [/smug voice]

I've never actually eaten there... never thought to actually so thanks for the reccommendation.

I'll add Fly Trap in SOMA... great mediterranean joint.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    FortyFivan said:

I'll add Fly Trap in SOMA... great mediterranean joint.

ostrich carpaccio, like what.

• Range! Range! Range!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Here is my top list. I consider myself a yuppie foodie so take this for what you will.

-Coi (best meal I've had in SF on the fine dining side)

-Delfina (best SF style pizza, Pac Heights one is easier to get a table at)

-Frances (Best of the best, casual fine dining, comfort food re-imagined)

-Benu (Former French Laundry head chef, fine dining but not over the top)

-Incanto (Favorite traditional italian in noe)

-Hog & Rocks (Killer bar food, same people who did Maverick)

-Chez Pannisse (Berkeley spot that started the whole slow food movement)

-RN74 (Michael Minna spot, good)

-Perbacco (Financial district italian, really good)

-La Ciccia (Super traditional olden style italian in Noe)

-Flour & Water (more yuppie pizza, Delifina is better but lots of hype around this spot. Good.)

-Spruce (contemporary in Laurel Heights/Marina, solid)

-Bar Agricole (New spot in SOMA, really solid contemporary)

-Sebo (Best sushi in SF)

-Yank Sing (Legendary Dim Sum, go on Sunday for brunch)

-Coco 500 (Yuppie SOMA contemporary)

-Commis (Best fine dining in the east bay)

-Boulevard (Stock fine dining, nothing special but been around for a long time, people like it)

-Slanted Door (as mentioned bay area establishment)

-Range (as mentioned solid slow food SOMA spot)

That should get you started. I've eaten at all these spots and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Frankly, neither city has much to brag about, pizza-wise. The best you'll get is some "passably decent" fare, though I think Pizzeria Mozza does a pretty good job for a higher-end pizza and I can't think of a Bay Area equivalent.

When did you move away? SF is crushing it on the Pizza tip. [disconnected]

-Delfina
    -Flour & Water
    - Una Pizza Napoletan
    -Pizzaiolo (Oakland)
    -Dopo (Oakland)

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    "-Incanto (Favorite traditional italian in noe)"

I went there last year for my birthday with a party of around 10 family members. We all got different dishes and I have to say nothing stood out and I had bites of almost everyone's dishes. Maybe it was an off night but I would not go back after that experience.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    motown67 said:
    "-Incanto (Favorite traditional italian in noe)"

I went there last year for my birthday with a party of around 10 family members. We all got different dishes and I have to say nothing stood out and I had bites of almost everyone's dishes. Maybe it was an off night but I would not go back after that experience.

Did you try some of the Offal items? I know some people (er, most) are not into that. I have been there once for the "Head to Tail" menu--life changing.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    mannybolone said:

When did you move away? SF is crushing it on the Pizza tip. [disconnected]

-Delfina
    -Flour & Water
    - Una Pizza Napoletan
    -Pizzaiolo (Oakland)
    -Dopo (Oakland)

No love for Patxi's?! For shame.