volkswagen ad yeilds 1.5 million views in 24 hours.

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
it's a really good ad.

but really?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ad = meh.

But everyone views it because we luh Star Wars.

It's still hella snore though.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Where's my like this button?

I know this is aimed at the 30 / 40 somethings who were around for the originals (hence the old school Darth Vardar) but are little kids still into Star Wars?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    gimme my minute back

• VW drivers like their VW's....i'll never buy any other car again...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Okem said:

• childhood wonder, star wars, shiny cars, grilled cheese, dogs, kid in clothes too big for him, supportive yet playful parenting..... it's pretty much all there laid out for an internet bonanza.... add a crotch shot, rick astley and a kitten falling asleep and the internet would blow up.

• Okem said:

I know this is aimed at the 30 / 40 somethings who were around for the originals (hence the old school Darth Vardar) but are little kids still into Star Wars?

Dude, I don't even like Star Wars that much and my four year old is always walking around making the Darth Vader choke-finger thing.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    add a crotch shot

Now, we're talking!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    the Darth Vader choke-finger thing.

"Ah...you mean go over there, choke 'im?"

• funky16corners said:
    Okem said:

Dude, I don't even like Star Wars that much and my four year old is always walking around making the Darth Vader choke-finger thing.

my 5 yr old has never seen any star wars movie. last week, she wanted to get my brother a balloon for his birthday. we went to the party supply store. i told her to pick out a balloon--one that he would like. she pointed to one with darth vader on it and said, "the star wars one?"

if she's picked-up on it, kids in her class must be really into star wars.

that said, she has no interest in watching a star wars movie (i asked her if she wanted me to buy star wars on dvd for her when we were at target the next day, and she said no.)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    Okem said:

That's awesome.

Just say no to JarJar kids.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    VW drivers like their VW's....i'll never buy any other car again...

It will take more than a clever ad for me to ever buy another VW. I might lease one, because they're great for the first five years, but the onslaught of expensive repairs made owning a 99 Beetle quite a pain for the last several years.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I think the ad is brilliant, and the proof is 1.4M viewers in 24hrs.

I can see how the ad would appeal to the inner-child in every man (Darth Vader blah blah); the "cute" factor for the women; and the wholesome family factor for the aspiration class (nice home, a dog, stone work driveway, etc.).

Some real amateurish analysis, to be sure. But I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

Will I buy a Passat? Not in this lifetime. But taken for what it is, it's a well done ad.

Kindly,
    parallax

• Okem said:
    are little kids still into Star Wars?

they are totally into it. books, playground playfighting, movies, the damn cartoon network show, merchandising out the ass, and if there's a video game system in the house they'll want Star Wars Lego, no doubt.

what i find funny about this is that a few years ago marketers would leak their ad a day before the game. then it became 2-3 days. now they're doing a week before.

impossible to pull off but it would be hilarious if a marketer touted their super bowl spot on youtube, got tons of coverage and buzz then it came out they bluffed the whole super bowl ad buy.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The :30 version will be more appropriately concise. More pith > more Sith.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Those "Unpimp Ze Auto" ones were way better.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    luck said:
    The :30 version will be more appropriately concise. More pith > more Sith.