Let's talk Areito (Cuban-R)

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So Danno: what would some of your essential Cuban records be?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21also
    b, 21these dudes shred but no funk per se, which is how this discussion is heading. great folk and fuzz psych moves:
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Is this the same group that have have a domestic lp on Paredon?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So Danno: what would some of your essential Cuban records be?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21AND, can you please give me some info on the Los Yoyi album.... any last name for Leon? I've loved this LP since forever and can't find a source that's got the goods on it's history...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is this the same group that have have a domestic lp on Paredon?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i think maybe? a full on album though? or is a revolutionary cuba comp? b, 21EDIT: just looked it up and it's all them. i need to get that.. the cuba va! track is Nuggets Latin for all time.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21cosine on the three juanpablo joints. i got the cargo cover and the younggirl joint (i remember a song called "hierro" or hielo? being real dope)
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21oops...istened to it last night and the hot shit is actually "quema". what a trackb, 21danno's "si para usted" is ridiculous!!! beautiful packaging, great write ups, illuminating music.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is this the same group that have have a domestic lp on Paredon?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21i think maybe? a full on album though? or is a revolutionary cuba comp?
    b, 21EDIT: just looked it up and it's all them. i need to get that.. the cuba va! track is Nuggets Latin for all time.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, "Cuba Va!" That record shreds.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21movement crassic!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Even Beny More could get down!b, 21b, 21b, 21 a href="http://www.ifitrotates.com/blog/audio/bm_babar.mp3" target="_blank"1Beny More - Babaratiri/a1

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So Danno: what would some of your essential Cuban records be?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That's a tough question. Just about everything on the first comp is pretty essential, and then almost most everything I've got on the second, plus some Omara records, especially the one with Soy Cubano. The Los Brito record is right up there with the best of the best. If we're talking about singles and not just LPs, then the field really opens up.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21AND, can you please give me some info on the Los Yoyi album.... any last name for Leon? I've loved this LP since forever and can't find a source that's got the goods on it's history...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21There's not much info to give. Main guy was Juan Soler Leon. They used to provide music for a chidren's television show. The LP was most likely comissioned by EGREM for who knows what reason and was never especially popular. You can't really say folks in Cuba have forgotten about Yoyi, because most people never knew about the band in the first place. They have no singles or other releases. There's a surely at least a handful of unreleased Yoyi tracks somewhere in the vast archive of radio and television recordings.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21AND, can you please give me some info on the Los Yoyi album.... any last name for Leon? I've loved this LP since forever and can't find a source that's got the goods on it's history...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21There's not much info to give. Main guy was Juan Soler Leon. They used to provide music for a chidren's television show. The LP was most likely comissioned by EGREM for who knows what reason and was never especially popular. You can't really say folks in Cuba have forgotten about Yoyi, because most people never knew about the band in the first place. They have no singles or other releases. There's a surely at least a handful of unreleased Yoyi tracks somewhere in the vast archive of radio and television recordings.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i actually have a Yoyi 45 (courtesy of Rap79- much love homey. This cat's DEEP on the Areito tip!). I don't have the LP so I can't tell you if the songs are from the full-length. I believe one of the sides is "Banana" and I can't remember the flip side title- i can check when i get home. it's img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21i was thinking recently, it IS amazing how the Areito/Egrem catalog is relatively undocumented/unknown, especially for us 'Americans'. Case in point- Danno is demonstrably one of the leading 'authorities' on the subject, and he didn't know about the Yoyi 45 [disclaimer: i'm not dissing and DEFINITELY not trying to claim any authority here. I have a handful of great Areito records, most of which have been mentioned here, mainly thru sheer dumb luck]

• yeah this thought has occurred to be too -- that the folks who destroy in the reissue game, i'm thinking the Soul Jazzes, the Numero Groups of the world, haven't mined the Areito/Egrem catalog yet.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21yeah this thought has occurred to be too -- that the folks who destroy in the reissue game, i'm thinking the Soul Jazzes, the Numero Groups of the world, haven't mined the Areito/Egrem catalog yet.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Oof!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21yeah this thought has occurred to be too -- that the folks who destroy in the reissue game, i'm thinking the Soul Jazzes, the Numero Groups of the world, haven't mined the Areito/Egrem catalog yet.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21I've never been able to really get into the Cuban funk sound at all--and not from a lack of trying. I still waiting to hear the track that changes my mind.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21There's not much info to give. Main guy was Juan Soler Leon. They used to provide music for a chidren's television show. The LP was most likely comissioned by EGREM for who knows what reason and was never especially popular. You can't really say folks in Cuba have forgotten about Yoyi, because most people never knew about the band in the first place. They have no singles or other releases. There's a surely at least a handful of unreleased Yoyi tracks somewhere in the vast archive of radio and television recordings.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21i actually have a Yoyi 45 (courtesy of Rap79- much love homey. This cat's DEEP on the Areito tip!). I don't have the LP so I can't tell you if the songs are from the full-length. I believe one of the sides is "Banana" and I can't remember the flip side title- i can check when i get home. it's
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21i was thinking recently, it IS amazing how the Areito/Egrem catalog is relatively undocumented/unknown, especially for us 'Americans'. Case in point- Danno is demonstrably one of the leading 'authorities' on the subject, and he didn't know about the Yoyi 45 [disclaimer: i'm not dissing and DEFINITELY not trying to claim any authority here. I have a handful of great Areito records, most of which have been mentioned here, mainly thru sheer dumb luck]
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Nah, that's just my oversight from writing in haste at work. I know the Yoyi single and have several copies. Both tracks are from the LP and are unedited as far as I recall. Incidentally, there's also a Spanics pressing of the 45 with a picture sleeve. Quite a few EGREM releases had Spanish versions. b, 21b, 21I may be a de facto authority, but I'm by no means an expert. There really isn't a lot of information on post-revolution Cuban music available, especially in respect of Cuban pop. You have to find folks from the scene who remember those days and are willing to talk about them. That's not always easy. Ex-pats worry about their family back home; they're often really reluctant to talk about anything they're concerned will get the family in trouble. b, 21b, 21The Cuban catalogue is also not as big as you might think. The realities of the Cuban political system and bureaucracy means that the 70s produced maybe no more than 200 really noteworthy releases. Tonnes of music was recorded, but most of it was used for television and radio broadcasts. The archive housing those tapes is where the real heat is. EGREM's archives has nothing on it. The funkiest bands were never given the opportunity to record by the state because their sound was associated with the US and frowned upon. But these groups occasionally did radio and television, and as I understand it the tapes of those shows were all kept and filed away. There were at least a half-dozen super popular, really funky groups that never released a track, but played on TV. As they say in climbing, something for the next generation. b, 21

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21i actually have a Yoyi 45 (courtesy of Rap79- much love homey. This cat's DEEP on the Areito tip!). I don't have the LP so I can't tell you if the songs are from the full-length. I believe one of the sides is "Banana" and I can't remember the flip side title- i can check when i get home. it's
    b, 21
    b, 21i was thinking recently, it IS amazing how the Areito/Egrem catalog is relatively undocumented/unknown, especially for us 'Americans'. Case in point- Danno is demonstrably one of the leading 'authorities' on the subject, and he didn't know about the Yoyi 45 [disclaimer: i'm not dissing and DEFINITELY not trying to claim any authority here. I have a handful of great Areito records, most of which have been mentioned here, mainly thru sheer dumb luck]
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Glad to see you liked the 45! Both songs are from the album. There is a Spanish PS 45 pressing that has gone for under $10 the few times I've seen it on the bay.b, 21b, 21I've had 2 copies of the 45, but NEVER have I pulled a copy of the lp. Been after that thing for 5 years now. Might breakdown and scoop the next copy on ebay and I'm def no img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" 21.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Glad to see you liked the 45! Both songs are from the album. There is a Spanish PS 45 pressing that has gone for under $10 the few times I've seen it on the bay.
    b, 21
    b, 21I've had 2 copies of the 45, but NEVER have I pulled a copy of the lp. Been after that thing for 5 years now. Might breakdown and scoop the next copy on ebay and I'm def no
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" 21.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The Japanese bought most every copy of the Yoyi LP in Cuba, and it was raer to begin with. I've heard stories of it showing up around Toronto and Montreal, but that might be record geek bluster. Awesome LP!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Glad to see you liked the 45! Both songs are from the album. There is a Spanish PS 45 pressing that has gone for under $10 the few times I've seen it on the bay.
    b, 21
    b, 21I've had 2 copies of the 45, but NEVER have I pulled a copy of the lp. Been after that thing for 5 years now. Might breakdown and scoop the next copy on ebay and I'm def no
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/balla-22.gif" alt="" 21.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah man... i hope that i thanked you enough back when you sent me that stuff, but in case i didn't, i meant to! that stuff keeps on giving! also the mixes you sent me- img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hard2.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21one thing that's kinda weird about Areito is cover art variation. Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't there seem to be more alternate covers than wtih most record labels? Like that Paquito LP someone posted in this thread- from their description of it, I'm pretty sure I have the same record, but with a completely different cover. I've also seen at least 2 different covers for the 1st Irakere LP (iirc)

• I've heard stories of it showing up around Toronto and Montreal, but that might be record geek bluster. Awesome LP!

I scooped my Los Yoyi LP from Toronto ~ 7 yrs ago. I didn't get it at Cosmos, though Aki was the dude that hyped it to me and almost always has a copy for someone with 350 bones.... ooof. You'll notice too that several of the copies that hit e-bay over the last few years have been from sellers in TO. To be fair though, their are probably more two headed dogs in TO then Los Yoyi LP's

Never seen or heard of it in MTL though.

Here are some awesome Cuban videos from youtube:

Los Dada, who may never have actually released a record:

Just awesome stuff.

More awesomeness...

Pello el Afrocan from 1964--44 years later this still rocks the dancefloor!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

With a *half hour* clip included. Damn!

b/w

This isn't better than the Yoyi LP. Not bad though.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Great cover artwork. LOL

Kinda plays like shit for a VG+ to my ears.

No shit! That LP is far more common than Yoyi, too.

I've got at least one clean extra copy if anybody wants it. The best cuts were also released on a 45 that plays louder and fuller than the LP. I have one of those, too.

• Danno3000 said:
    No shit! That LP is far more common than Yoyi, too.

I've got at least one clean extra copy if anybody wants it. The best cuts were also released on a 45 that plays louder and fuller than the LP. I have one of those, too.

PM sent!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Reynaldo said:

With a *half hour* clip included. Damn!

b/w

This isn't better than the Yoyi LP. Not bad though.

Yoyi is definitely better than this one.

b/w

I love the first bit of the track on this that Jazzanova sampled for "Look What You're Doin To Me" from Of All The Things album.