Favorite Living Artists

edulusedulus 421 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Like art artists not music artists. i could use some visual inspiration as a write my diss(ertation).

BANKSY?!?? MURAKAMI?!?

no tired jokes about the value of their art going up after they die.

Comments

• Options
    R Crumb.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    http://www.willcotton.com/

and I want this one in my living room...

• elise said:

I looked at those pieces you posted, went to his site out of mild curiosity-- thinking, can this dude be someone that people take seriously-- and I randomly clicked on a Village Voice article in the press section. I found a quote that confirmed my first impression:

"Whatever???these canvases are bonbons for the rubes; the red dots, proof that nowadays many art buyers are shoppers, not collectors."

In other words, not feeling it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Andy Goldsworthy is one.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    elise said:

I looked at those pieces you posted, went to his site out of mild curiosity-- thinking, can this dude be someone that people take seriously-- and I randomly clicked on a Village Voice article in the press section. I found a quote that confirmed my first impression:

"Whatever???these canvases are bonbons for the rubes; the red dots, proof that nowadays many art buyers are shoppers, not collectors."

I highly recommend the documentary film "Who The %#@*% is Jackson Pollock".

It reveals the "Art World" and art critics for what they truly are.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    elise said:

Personally, I don't look too much into that, but what I am looking at. To me it is a combo of two beautiful things put on a canvas.

• Don't know if I could say favorite, but I think that some of Cai Guo-Qiang's stuff is cool.

• elise said:
    hertzhog said:

Personally, I don't look too much into that, but what I am looking at. To me it is a combo of two beautiful things put on a canvas.

I can appreciate that. But to me it's the worst kind of "pretty"-- devoid of anything real.

I'll keep my eye out on that documentary, Rock.

• Rockadelic said:
    hertzhog said:
    elise said:

I highly recommend the documentary film "Who The %#@*% is Jackson Pollock".

It reveals the "Art World" and art critics for what they truly are.

...and along those very same lines check out this one:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Stephen Wiltshire

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    although Jackson Pollock was an amazing artist imho, he was a very troubled man, although i didnt see the movie "Who the *$&% Is Jackson Pollock?" its funny that the lady stated that the artwork was ugly and that she didnt like it, most people say that the first time they see any of Pollocks work..yet she bought it for $5 and wasnt willing to accept any less then $50 million..

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Elise, your cotton candy fantasy looks like a Juicy Couture ad. Love the cupcake tiara.

Elise, your cotton candy fantasy looks like a [del]Juicy Couture ad[/del] thousand piece jigsaw puzzle my mother-in-law would be interested in

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Haters!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Tim Hawkinson is the illest alive, IMO. Dude's pretty unfuckwithable, definitely the most innovative and original there is, IMO.

http://www.acegallery.net/artistmenu.php?Artist=1
    http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/hawkinson/

Don't judge by first look -- every piece is extremely ornate and has an amazing story. Shit's bananas.

EDIT -

just found this online - so craze.

Watch the full episode. See more ART:21.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    skel said:
    Stephen Wiltshire

Yes.

Still loving Shirin Neshat

Kelly Richardson's work is beautiful

These are somewhat Harry Potteresque.

I wouldn't know. Don't ruin it for me.

Snape isn't Voldemort.
    And Ron bangs Hermione.

Damn.... sorry.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    bassie said:
    skel said:
    Stephen Wiltshire

Yes.

Still loving Shirin Neshat

Kelly Richardson's work is beautiful

Screensaver r@er

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    elise said:
    http://www.willcotton.com/

and I want this one in my living room...

Reminds me of...........

• The whole, "I could do that," argument in art is such a nonstarter. Dude, you didn't make a white canvas painting, so you can't. You can't do Ryman, E. Kelly, et al. You also can't splatter like Pollock. So, let that go or stay out of the conversation. At this point, that stuff doesn't reveal some truth that you know- it makes me think you don't get art.

Ed Ruscha is my favorite dude alive.

I cosine Tim Hawkinson, and also dig Tom Friedman.

Bruce Nauman shreds.

I am excited for the Glenn Ligon show at the Whitney this year; his text paintings are incredible.

I like a lot of art.

• I really enjoy Anselm Kiefer.. and the cake painting reminds me of Wayne Thiebaud.

gareth said:

Bruce Nauman shreds.

Glenn Ligon

Yes and Yes.
    I'm not sure why, but I tend to forget that Nauman is still alive :/

Ron Mueck, too, who has got some shine on the board before.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    .. and the cake painting reminds me of Wayne Thiebaud.

Yes. And I own this one of his works:

I like cake/food art, what can I say?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    gareth said:
    You also can't splatter like Pollock.

That's why the Pollock movie is so enjoyable to me.......these art "experts" who come off as uber snobby and elitist, are really only interested in a "chain of authenticity" before they deem something as authentic. Science presents facts in the way of paint analysis and fingerprints but the "Art World" throws all of that out the window if you can just tell them who used to own the painting.

The real amusing part was the guy who claimed to have a garage filled with unknown/undocumented Pollock's that he would gather from the garbage as Pollock apparently discarded his "failed" works......I imagine this scenario makes Mr. Snobby Art Dealer's head explodde.

Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.....from Finster to Michaelangelo.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've upped this film before. 2 art collectors who were neither elitist or snobby.
    They simply took the time to study the art and the artists. Then bought what they liked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_and_Dorothy_Vogel

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

El Mac

James Jean

Mode2

JR

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Julian Beever, bitches!

And this one was quite cool too..