Red Beans & Rice

2»

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    damn tough to get good beans for this sort of stuff here in New Zealand

• For a sec there I thought you were talking abou tthe producers from Houston called Beanz & Kornbread!!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    we want pics batmon

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pcmr said:
    we want pics batmon

I'm making this weekend - ill snap some shots.

• ugh, lets get the classique record/action figure/sneaker pose in the food shots

Grandfather said:
    ugh, lets get the classique record/action figure/sneaker pose in the food shots

ITS ON!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Okay, and to do it right...your end result should more look like this...

And less like this...

Gotta mash a bunch of them cooked beans up to make it cream style.

HarveyCanal said:
    Okay, and to do it right...your end result should more look like this...

And less like this...

Gotta mash a bunch of them cooked beans up to make it cream style.

I hear you.

batmon said:

I hear you.

I'm confident you will be making the hey pocky way-type bomb of a dish.

And hey, I caught your pops on espn2 the other night...good stuff!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    speaking of beans and rice
    harvey do you have a riz coll?? recipe
    the cr??ole spot near my house is aight but i am sure i could make it better at home
    i can tell there is cloves,nutmeg thing going on but how do i cook the rice and beans together and have it come out right!
    b/w
    you guys should try feijoada the black beans brazilian version of this dish

• HarveyCanal said:
    First, I have to give these 2 items, depending on how you want to cook your pot, the highest of cosigns...

Growing up in my house, we'd eat red beans and rice at least once a week. The Blue Runners are convenient as you don't really have to add anything (except sausage and lots of Tabasco at the table) to them for them to be good. That being said, adding to them works great as well. But when my Mom would go all out, Camellia beans were always the lick. And I'm pretty sure she was doing exactly what the Paul Prohomme cookbook told her to.

Not sure why first dude that responded said that Bay Leaves are suspect.

The best recipe I ever had, made by a friend who got it from a professor at Tulane, added carrots to be liquified with the onion, celery, and bell pepper.

Personally, I've only ever made fancified Blue Runners...so I don't have a definitve recipe. But last time I made my version for a Saints game a couple of months back, my friends went apeshit over it.

As for Cajun seasoning, Tony's has been my mainstay for decades now. I don't even mess with any others anymore.

Oyster Shucker Mike was telling me about some local television spot he did for those Blue Runners, would like to see that.

pcmr said:
    speaking of beans and rice
    harvey do you have a riz coll?? recipe
    the cr??ole spot near my house is aight but i am sure i could make it better at home
    i can tell there is cloves,nutmeg thing going on but how do i cook the rice and beans together and have it come out right!
    b/w
    you guys should try feijoada the black beans brazilian version of this dish

To date, I've left the Haitian cooking to my ex and her fam. Mother-in-law makes the best riz cole imaginable...especially when she tops it with fish. Splash some Frank's on there and mmmmm. A couple things I have picked up though... don't be afraid to use Sazon and coconut milk.

The real deal though, and the closest thing to Louisiana beans and rice, is Haitian sos pois. My late father-in-law used to blow me away with his white bean version.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    nice!
    I've heard of coconut milk for better rice texture, crispy plantain and i am good to go
    Sos pois is creamed red beans so i figured it was easy however i think i might pinto bean the recipe now that you mentionned the white bean thing

• Ok here it is:

Awesome!

And on a sidenote, I was known as somewhat of an oyster eating champion at Visko's Seafood on the West Bank back when I was like 9-10 years old. At least a couple times, my step-grandfather from Florida took me there on 10 cents an oyster night and made bets with other men over how many I could eat. We never lost...and the shuckers used to make sure to be giving me the biggest ones too.

b/w

They still don't have Gulf oysters at my spot here in Austin, Quality Seafood...damn you, BP Oil!

• we_eat_trains said:
    Ok here it is:

YES!

Yo, sending out the bat signal...

I made it this weekend but didnt feel like clearing my table to take photos.

Before I started though, i ran down to Kalustanyans in Little India to look for Zatarains Cajun/Creole seasoning. No luck, but i copped the in-house brand.

Shit was good. I made it Sunday but had it last night for dinner, along w/ some wine braised ribs i copped from the Korean market in Little Korea, and some wok stirred baby bok choy.

Im gonna make another batch soon and take some photos, along w/ sneakers, action figures, and rekkids.

The Camelia beans make a difference.

I just chopped up some chicken kidneys to make some Dirty Rice today.

The recipe i have is just kidneys...............

This cat uses Pork,Beef and Gizzards in this muthafucker!

Suggestions? Braekdowns? Hints?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i saw bobby flay's recipe on tv yesterday and he had only liver
    using smoked sausage seems popular
    dredging the liver in flour and chickenstock powder was my moms trick
    + little lemon juice+worschestire or maggi...but that may be deviating