Picasso

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Just saw the Picasso show in Seattle.

Really great. My wife said something like "He did everything so well that he left nothing for those who came after him to do without immitating."

He was doing sculpture with found objects that he painted in the early part of the last century.
The public was outraged. Is it a painting? Is it a sculpture? A critic said he has now freed art from categories. Not painting or sculpture, just art.

When I was in my very early 20s my feeling on Picasso was, so what? 2 eyes on the same side, a 6yo could do that. Then I went to the East Wing of the National Gallery where they had a room full of blue period stuff. Changed my life.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Overated

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

"He did everything so well that he left nothing for those who came after him to do without immitating."

batmon said:

"He did everything so well that he left nothing for those who came after him to do without immitating."

You are right. People like Andy Goldsworthy, and others have found a way to express themselves with out bowing to Picasso. But Picasso did so many things well. He could draw and paint like the classics, plus he touched nearly every movement in early 20th century art and did it better than most anyone.

I think it helped drive late 20th century artist to pop art, conceptual art and other avenues where they didn't have to compete with him.

Also, by most accounts, he was an asshole.

LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:

You are right. People like Andy Goldsworthy, and others have found a way to express themselves with out bowing to Picasso. But Picasso did so many things well. He could draw and paint like the classics, plus he touched nearly every movement in early 20th century art and did it better than most anyone.

I think it helped drive late 20th century artist to pop art, conceptual art and other avenues where they didn't have to compete with him.

I'll agree to a degree , but to say that EVERYONE is imitating after him is a limited view of of history IMO.

He casts a long shadow on the game, but Pop Art and erry thang after werent bound by Picasso's contributions.

LaserWolf said:

Please to leave his personal life outta his ART discussion.

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:

I'll agree to a degree , but to say that EVERYONE is imitating after him is a limited view of of history IMO.

He casts a long shadow on the game, but Pop Art and erry thang after werent bound by Picasso's contributions.

It was an expression of how blown away we were by the show.
    Not an absolute statement of all art history.

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:

Please to leave his personal life outta his ART discussion.

I wanted to say it and get it out of the way before someone else did.

LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:

It was an expression of how blown away we were by the show.
    Not an absolute statement of all art history.

?????????

• I work at the museum where this show is traveling to next. it's the only stop on the East Coast. I'll be working on this exhibition.

here's a corny video explaining it all.

• We saw Guernica at the Museo Reina Sof??a in Madrid. It was actually a very moving experience.

pimlicosquirrel said:
    We saw Guernica at the Museo Reina Sof??a in Madrid. It was actually a very moving experience.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Could never really get into Picasso.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    We saw Guernica at the Museo Reina Sof??a in Madrid. It was actually a very moving experience.

Guernica is one of those things I want to see before I die.

What's that famous quote from him? "I spent 20 years learning to paint, and the rest of my life learning to paint like a child" - I think right there is the key to understanding Picasso's work. It was for me, at any rate.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    His mistress, Francoise Gilot, wrote an incredibly good memoire of her life with him.

B/W

So pissed I can't find the Jon Lovitz SNL sketch where he plays Picasso, signing napkins everywhere to pay for lunch and to get into the movies. Shit was funny.

• Options

Not just great in its own right - it was also the inspiration for Wallace Stevens' epic poem "The Man With The Blue Guitar."

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

Guernica is one of those things I want to see before I die.

What's that famous quote from him? "I spent 20 years learning to paint, and the rest of my life learning to paint like a child" - I think right there is the key to understanding Picasso's work. It was for me, at any rate.

YES! Awesome scenes of Picasso painting like a child:

• I dont think this is where that clip is from, but there is a beautiful documentary called the Mystery of Picasso that has similar scenes of the process of him creating paintings. Really great stuff. Directed by Henri Clouzot and DOP is Claude Renoir.

It was declared to be a national treasure of France.

• Picasso is a great sponge. I love him but if he visits you hide your paintings. He will take your idea and do it better. Remember when Diego was gonna whoop him with that big staff he walks around with? Hide your paintings.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    AndreBreton said:
    Picasso is a great sponge. I love him but if he visits you hide your paintings. He will take your idea and do it better. Remember when Diego was gonna whoop him with that big staff he walks around with? Hide your paintings.

so u basically statin' that he is the Q-Bert of the art world???