How did all the Q-Tip is gay rumors start?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
For all I know he is gay. Anyone got the lowdown on how this went down?

Comments

• downtownrobbrown said:
    For all I know he is gay. Anyone got the downlow on how this went down?

fixed.

• being connected to nicole kidman as a love interest automatically qualifies you as mildly homosexual.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Hot sex on a platter?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's mostly the voice.

Not sure if that's actually the case, but I recall a bunch of folks also thought Erick Sermon was gay...and it seems like the same thing applied.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    it started mostly in your head. who the hell cares? it's 2011! get familiar!!!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Grope said:
    it started mostly in your head. who the hell cares? it's 2011! get familiar!!!
    +1

• leonleon 883 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    For all I know he is gay. Anyone got the download on how this went down?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    Grope said:
    who the hell cares? it's 2011!

Rap didn't get the memo.

I kinda care...not in a 'omigosh!! who's gay????' sense, but that for the last 30odd years, everyone is walking around acting like there are no gay rappers, producers, DJs, etc.
    Even the military took its head out of the sand!

If someone came out and I missed it - please correct me.

Anyway, back to it.

• It was that famous "Gay Rapper" article.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    Did Eric Sermon ever openly come out gay?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    bassie said:
    sweatshop said:
    Grope said:

Rap didn't get the memo.

I kinda care...not in a 'omigosh!! who's gay????' sense, but that for the last 30odd years, everyone is walking around acting like there are no gay rappers, producers, DJs, etc.

Anyway, back to it.

Word. Homophobia in the rap community is BEYOND beyond.

I think the only rapper that ever officially came out was Queen Pen, but not she matters anyway.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    hey, a party ain't a party till its ran all through...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Yeah, I remember a few years back a similar thread.
    I suggested that 5-10% of rappers were gay.
    No one would believe me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wasnt it MLK Day yesterday?

• Cosmo said:
    bassie said:
    sweatshop said:
    Grope said:

Rap didn't get the memo.

Anyway, back to it.

I think the only rapper that ever officially came out was Queen Pen, but not she matters anyway.

ive been saying this for years.
    this is a large part of the reason why theres a massive void of artistry, and hip hop will continue to be stuck in a vacuum.
    til then, keep bumpin recycled raps about the 3 topics known to rappers, drugs, money and hoes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    batmon said:
    Wasnt it MLK Day yesterday?

Hahah...

RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    Cosmo said:
    bassie said:
    sweatshop said:
    Grope said:

Rap didn't get the memo.

Anyway, back to it.

this is a large part of the reason why theres a massive void of artistry, and hip hop will continue to be stuck in a vacuum.
    til then, keep bumpin recycled raps about the 3 topics known to rappers, drugs, money and hoes.

Wait, hip-hop is uncreative because of homophobia now? I thought it was because of its departure from boom-bap aesthetics. Anyway, hip-hop culture is as open-minded as ever right now. I don't know if any famous rappers are actually gay. But a lot of them dress like they're gay...and catch flak for it too. And lesbians are all over the danged place. Sheeeit, have a look-see into NOLA bounce and you will find more gay than you ever asked for. Some of y'all old foagies need to update your Archie Bunker-isms.

• If it was updated it wouldn't be an Archie Bunker-ism.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    Cosmo said:
    bassie said:
    sweatshop said:
    Grope said:

Rap didn't get the memo.

Anyway, back to it.

Wait, hip-hop is uncreative because of homophobia now? I thought it was because of its departure from boom-bap aesthetics. Anyway, hip-hop culture is as open-minded as ever right now. I don't know if any famous rappers are actually gay. But a lot of them dress like they're gay...and catch flak for it too. And lesbians are all over the danged place. Sheeeit, have a look-see into NOLA bounce and you will find more gay than you ever asked for. Some of y'all old foagies need to update your Archie Bunker-isms.

Defining homosexuality by how someone dresses is about as dated as Archie Bunker... and then some!

Girl/girl action is not really breaking down barriers in the rap world, I don't really think that's a fair yardstick to measure open-mindedness, you know?

Equating artistry with homosexuality is silly and stereotypes, even if indirectly - they are so creative!

bassie said:

Defining homosexuality by how someone dresses is about as dated as Archie Bunker... and then some!

It went from dress in our certified rap uniform or you can't hang...to shit, that dude sure dresses funny but I guess he's still alright. That, however you want to discount it, is progress.

Girl/girl action is not really breaking down barriers in the rap world, I don't really think that's a fair yardstick to measure open-mindedness, you know?

How about transvestites though?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    MUST. NOT. TYPE. MUST. STAY. AWAY. FROM. COMPUTER. AARGH.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    Cosmo said:
    bassie said:
    sweatshop said:
    Grope said:

Rap didn't get the memo.

Anyway, back to it.

Equating artistry with homosexuality is silly and stereotypes, even if indirectly - they are so creative!

???If you removed all of the homosexuals and homosexual influence from what is generally regarded as American culture, you would pretty much be left with "Let's Make a Deal???

-Fran Lebowitz

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Let me just take the time right now to say LONG LIVE FRAN LEBOWITZ.

• http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfwfre_a-tribe-called-quest-documentary-trailer_music
    ^Pulled off Youtube...I giggled when Phife was all...[attitude-y head bop, sucks teeth] "Wha's up Malik, you not speaking to me??" 2 mins in.

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    Cosmo said:
    bassie said:
    sweatshop said:
    Grope said:

Rap didn't get the memo.

Anyway, back to it.

"dress like their gay" how does one dress like they are not gay ?

try again, equating artistry with knowing and being yourself...and expressing it without fear of backlash or rumors, or being accepted.

you have an industry of clones, trying so hard to fit in to this mold thats been in effect for far to long.

if your in the closet, or better yet not gay....and you build your whole image based off of drug dealing and lies because thats what sells and is the current trend. your lost.

creativity and artistry will truly shine when you are not scared to be who you really are, determining whos gay based on clothing style is as archie bunker as you can get... and as an "old foagie" im sorry to inform you, most male rappers not only are scared to be themselves.... they dont even know who they are.... in which case, when and if they reach a certain level of fame, cant deal.

if rick ross, or members of dipset ( does camron fit into your stereotype of dressing gay for rocking pink and purple? ) came out tomorrow and let everybody know how gay they were....i dont think they would be as embraced by fans as little richard, billy preston, boy george, luther, prince ( what rapper makes songs like controversy and rocked thongs and trench coats on stage ?) and a slew of other artists.

you think there could ever be the equivalent in hip hop to what rock n roll had with the (1970s at that) new york dolls or bowie ?
    most people find out 10 of their favorite male rappers are as gay as omar on the wire... and watch them denounce they ever liked them to begin with.
    so much for art.

"If you removed all of the homosexuals and homosexual influence from what is generally regarded as American culture, you would pretty much be left with "Let's Make a Deal???
    pretty much ^

"if it aint natural, it aint real" - archie shepp.

• also, some of my biggest influences as a dj, pre hip hop.. and still to this day...were very openly gay djs.

for all the hip hop djs ive been influenced by... NOT ONE IS OPENLY GAY.
    do the math.

to think " hip hop is as open minded as ever" is sounding real crazy....buggin.

you must be blind to not see where the lines are drawn for boundaries in hip hop. ... its a box inside of a vacuum.

holla when a "rapper" can do in hip hop career what sylvester did with soul, r&b and disco.

• Isn't Baby Bam a cross-dresser now?

• I heard Gangstalicious is gay.

Again, you can't call every rapper out now a "clone" as there are plenty of originals among the bunch. Drug dealing rap actually seems to be getting less burn now compared to say 10-15 years ago. It's so obvious Kon that you carry what I will call again as Archie Bunker-isms despite what is actually happening around you.

Are there any openly gay rappers or deejays? Yes, there are plenty. But you'd have to pay attention to what you would dismiss as fringe scenes to ever spot them. Also, you cite the 70's but hardly any of those artists you mention were as openly gay as you are now portraying them. There was quite an ambiguity to a David Bowie or a Prince that was at no point clearly "Yes, I am definitely gay". And sorry, but nobody outside of 4 critics and their neighbors listened to New York Dolls.

I actually get where you are coming from by criticizing hip-hop for its homophobia, but I see it as more a reflection of black American as well as plain ole American culture at large. But at the same time, youa re clearly just using the point as yet another reason to bash the rap music of today. You start from hating it, and then come up with reasons why, even if those reasons are no longer even based on fact.

I don't remember Nas or Wu Tang Clan or Gang Starr or any of the artists from your hey-day advancing hip-hop from its homophobia. But somehow I'm sure you view those days as somehow better on that note. I completely disagree with that, as to me hip-hop is less homophobic than it's been since the Furious 5 and World Class Wrecking Crew and such.

And as far as people dressing gay...take skinny jeans. When kids started wearing those, plenty of those who sag cited gayness as the reason for the fashion shift. Is that homophobic? Sure, it is. But now what was once thught of as gay is practically the accepted norm. So, there is tolerance there. And because I actually know a whole grip of rappers both down here and on the West Coast, I know first hand that their scenes just about always include a fair selection of homosexuals, mostly women but some men too, who fit right in without any significant issues raised.

Seriously, there is plenty of criticism to go around. But plaese to give credit where creddit is due. Of course you aren't going to see the diversity in the music nowadays because you make it your policy not to even listen. But take it from someone who actually keeps up that your analysis simply no longer fits.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Gossiping and being catty about who may or may not be gay is pretty gay, dudes. Sayin'.