NRR Ricky Gervais at Golden Globes

DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Thought I would share this as it cracked me up

So, in the span of four minutes, Gervais managed to make an enemy of Charlie Sheen, Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, Cher, the entire cast and crew of Sex and the City 2, the Church of Scientology, Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Hugh Hefner, and Hugh Hefner's fianc??e.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Ricky Gervais was great! Mad Hollywood people were upset with him due to his jokes during the show! LOL. Those people need to chill out and get a sense of humor.

• Honestly he was the only reason why I watched the Golden Globes last night. Even Robert DeNiro joined in on some of the fun later on, which was great to watch. Hopefully the Academy will think of him hosting the Oscars. That double host with Baldwin and Martin was good, but not great. Jackman was as close to interesting as I could remember in a long while.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I want to thank God,
    For making me an atheist.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Brilliant

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Funny, yes, but Karl Pilkington is much funnier, IMO.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    I always double post. My bad.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    Those people need to chill out and get a sense of humor.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I want to thank God,

one of the best quotes I've heard in a long time...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i laughed so hard last night i woke up half of my family, thanks Matt!

• Woimsah said:
    LaserWolf said:
    I want to thank God,

one of the best quotes I've heard in a long time...

Bunuel. Luis Bunuel.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    My man Depp didn't seem angry, he's cool. And I'm sure Hugh Hefner's been hearing that for 20 years. Wasn't there a HH roast a couple years ago?

I doubt Gervais and Tom Cruise were going to be friends anyways.

I'll give it to you with Angelina Jolie though! She looked sour later when I tuned in.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    His Out of England in Chicago is essential, I laughed my ass of.

• at 3:51 Buschemi looks REAL shook that he's about to get clowned!! haha. He must've been relieved when the Walking Dead got it instead...

longtime Gervais fan; glad he's hitting stateside lately.

• Intros included

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This is great because now I am watching the only part of these awards that I care about.

Oh yes, and even shades of our recent 20+ pager with that foreign film crack!

• rootlesscosmo said:
    at 3:51 Buschemi looks REAL shook that he's about to get clowned!! haha. He must've been relieved when the Walking Dead got it instead...

yeah he looks half dead anyway most of the time, but i noticed that too the color drained out of his face like he was thinking "here it comes".

incredible job and catching TEH BAN from the golden globes is an honor in itself

• DJ_WubWub said:

Intros included

WHOAH! Steve Carrel was actually salty huh? What a poor sport.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    DJ_WubWub said:

Intros included

I highly doubt SC was really salty, seemed more like he was playing along. Ricky was great, I could watch him make fun of rich entitled celebrities all day long.

• rootlesscosmo said:

that was an ultra harsh intro... carrell had to have been in on that one.

• interesting to see the self-deprecating characters he plays on the office and extras v. his stand-up persona. i think i like the former better than the latter, but can appreciate the hilarity in both.

i also think he seems much more concerned lately with protecting his legacy than with making people laugh. he went out of his way in pre-show interviews to say that there is no such thing as off-limits comedy. then he proceeded to make headlines by making jokes that people thought pushed boundaries. i just like to hear funny jokes.

• People really find this stuff funny? Different strokes, I suppose.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:

incredible job and catching TEH BAN from the golden globes is an honor in itself
    He hosted it last year, too. I'm pretty sure everyone is in on the joke at this point.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    If anything, Gervais has been unsuccessful in burning bridges.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    interesting to see the self-deprecating characters he plays on the office and extras v. his stand-up persona. i think i like the former better than the latter, but can appreciate the hilarity in both.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    dwyhajlo said:
    People really find this stuff funny? Different strokes, I suppose.
    we have an Hollywood agent here folks

• dwyhajlo said:
    Different strokes, I suppose.

Poor Crystal Harris.

• rd jr got a good zing back

• Dude was going in on these fools, they seemed kinda uncomfortable but hey man sometimes you gotta lighten up!

• herbacios tweed said:
    rd jr got a good zing back

Thought he came off sounding like a humorless turd myself. And then his bit about banging all the nominees came off as creepy and douchetastic. Gervais was awesome though.