Trish Keenan of Broadcast

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
It's just been announced that Broadcast vocalist Trish Keenan has died after having contracted pneumonia. This is terribly sad. I don't know if Broadcast mean much outside of the UK, but I think they're a hugely underrated band. They've lived in the shadow of Stereolab somewhat, but I always thought they followed their own path and were far from mere copyists. RIP.

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Sad news indeed. RIP

• I dont believe it this means a lot to me I just bought the Broadcast and Focus Group after looking for a copy for ages. Im a Stereolab fan no strangers to tragedy themselves and always thought Broadcast were original in their own right.
    It rams it home when the flu death statistics on the news have a face you know. RIP Im sorry I never got to see them live.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Extremely sad news. Broadcast have made some wonderful music.

• shit. I thought it just got reported yesterday that she was in the hospital.

r.i.p.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    chrisflyer said:
    shit. I thought it just got reported yesterday that she was in the hospital.

r.i.p.

It seems she'd been ill for a few weeks. She contracted H1N1 flu following a visit to Australia, and things took a turn for the worse over Christmas. I have a few friends who knew her really well, and they're inconsolable.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Sad news. RIP

• They were always a pretty interesting and great group. My heart to the family and friends.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,098 Posts
    Very sad - I was a big fan. RIP

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    That's really sad. I saw the report that she'd been hospitalized ... very sad to hear she didn't pull through. Ha Ha Sound was a favorite of mine for a while. The Stereolab influence was undeniable, but they most certainly had their own sound. Very pretty music.

RIP

• What terrible news, I love me some Broadcast, RIP.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Flomotion said:

Picked up a Broadcast CD randomly a long time ago. Took a second to click but really started to like it and got the rest of their albums.

R.I.P.

• Really sad news, Broadcast is my favorite modern group. Happy I got a chance to see them perform. They had an amazing live show. I think "Ha Ha Sound" is one of the more perfect albums I've encountered and always looked forward to their new material.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    RIP

I wish I would have taken the opportunity I had to see them live. Definitely an act that has helped shape my tastes.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Damn, this is such sad news. I have always been a huge fan of Broadcast and have had the opportunity to see them a handful of times here in the States. I am absolutely crushed this young woman has passed on. Her and the band were a remarkable talent that produced music that very much appealed to me.

RIP

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    RIP.
    Loved her voice.
    Tender Buttons got me thru some trying times.

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    very sad indeed. RIP

This song was on loop in my life for a good part of last spring for me.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Flomotion said:

Haha Sound is incredible. RIP

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yeah just saw this over at the VG+ boards - really sad.
    Broadcast's music has been a big inspiration to me
    This really gets me down. Such a beautiful voice is gone now.
    R.I.P.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Oh my god man.. I really don't want to believe this is true.

- spidey

My boy Joe Muggs posted an obit for Trish here, and there's also a link to a mixtape she did for a friend of Joe's.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    In about 20 minutes (4:30 GMT) The OST Show (Jonny Trunk's show) on ResonanceFM will be reprising a 2-hour guest mix from Trish and James from 2007.

Nice mix IIRC, recommended.

http://resonancefm.com/

http://icecast.commedia.org.uk:8000/resonance_hi.mp3.m3u

• barjesus said:
    Really sad news, Broadcast is my favorite modern group. Happy I got a chance to see them perform. They had an amazing live show. I think "Ha Ha Sound" is one of the more perfect albums I've encountered and always looked forward to their new material.

Listened to this one on repeat this last fall in slower moments. Was exciting for a new album to come out - curious to see what they could do with the stripped down band again. R.I.P.

• DocMcCoy said:
    My boy Joe Muggs posted an obit for Trish here, and there's also a link to a mixtape she did for a friend of Joe's.

Thanks for posting this. Can anyone tell me what track 1 is? It's amazing, I love songs like this.

• Options
    I haven't had much of an acquaintance with this band but I'm digging these clips. She had a very nice voice and I like the psych influences. I'll have to explore further.

RIP.

barjesus said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Thanks for posting this. Can anyone tell me what track 1 is? It's amazing, I love songs like this.

I wish I could. However, I guess we could open it out to the SS hive mind and see if we can't put a track list together between us. Not that I'd be much use - I'm about halfway through, and the only thing even vaguely familiar is the cover of Play With Fire (although I've no idea who the artist is). Either way, there's some amazing stuff on there.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    So shocked by this, it's so sad. I felt the same way as whoever posted above re: looking forward to the next album. It seems like Tender Buttons hit on a stylistic shift that could have found a lot more successful mutations. While I love the records in their discography, I also felt that their best work was ahead of them. Such a shame.

• DocMcCoy said:
    barjesus said:
    DocMcCoy said:

I wish I could. However, I guess we could open it out to the SS hive mind and see if we can't put a track list together between us. Not that I'd be much use - I'm about halfway through, and the only thing even vaguely familiar is the cover of Play With Fire (although I've no idea who the artist is). Either way, there's some amazing stuff on there.

The only song that sprang out at me was Track 2, Harumi "What a Day For Me". Definitely some cool things on there, would like to try to identify more of them.

Here's the direct link to Trish's Mindbending Motorway Mix Here

Edit:
    2. Harumi "What a Day for Me"
    6. Twice as Much "The Spinning Wheel"
    8. Twice as Much "Play With Fire"
    15. Vampires of Dartmoor "Dance of the Vampires"

barjesus said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    barjesus said:
    DocMcCoy said:

The only song that sprang out at me was Track 2, Harumi "What a Day For Me". Definitely some cool things on there, would like to try to identify more of them.

Here's the direct link to Trish's Mindbending Motorway Mix Here

Edit:
    2. Harumi "What a Day for Me"
    6. Twice as Much "The Spinning Wheel"
    8. Twice as Much "Play With Fire"
    15. Vampires of Dartmoor "Dance of the Vampires"

5: Tages: You're Too Incomprehensible

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    This is horrible news. Been listening to Broadcast for a while and just played it again recently.

Rest in Power.

• Super-bummed to hear this. I don't think Broadcast ever made a bad song and they did many, many great ones.