Best seats you ever had (sporting event & concert)

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
I just thought about this as I was recently given great seats to the sixers game tonight...unfortunately they are playing the bucks.

sports - floor seats to the sixers game (about half a dozen times)

concert - 10th row to see Prince in 2005 in Philly

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Not a cool as Prince but

front row:

Michael Franks (few times)

Huey Lewis (yeah I said it)

Average White Band

Saw Snoop and Cube in Tahoe a few months ago and got pretty close to front row. He let the audience sing most of Nates parts on Aint No Fun. There's something magical about 1000 or so people yelling "AND YOU EVEN LICKED MY BALLS" at the same time.

• Second row, Queen, Leiden 1986 (yes.....)
    Third row, Just-Ice, Rotterdam 1987
    Front row, Public Enemy, Rotterdam 1988
    Front row, Jungle Brothers, Rotterdam 1988
    Front row, Ice T, Hijack, Donald D, Rotterdam 1988
    Second row, BDP, Rotterdam, 1988
    Second row, Wu-Tang Clan, Rotterdam, 1995
    Tenth row, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Amsterdam 1996
    On stage (with my backstage pass) during the whole concert, Al Green, Den Haag 2002
    Ninth row, Andy Bey, Den Haag 2003
    Second row, Yusef Lateef, Rotterdam, 2008
    And lots of more great concerts & shows: Sharon Jones, Poets of Rhythm, Lee Fields, Breakestra, Osaka Monaurail, Speedometer, Lonnie Smith....etc etc etc

• khadirkhadir 38 Posts
    50 Yard line in 1984 when Walter Payton broke the rushing record vs. the Saints.

Front row for Wu-Tang Clan at the A.C. Club on Armitage and Western in Chicago in 1993 or 94.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Front row Stevie Wonder 2007 Summer Tour. (Sat in front of house and watched the sound check too) BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On stage with hundreds of bands. Too many to list. Earth, Wind and Fire a number of times would be the best.

Courtside at a few Seattle Sonics games. Sat at the scorer's table, end of the court under the hoop, etc. Courtside was always fun.

• On stage with hundreds of bands. Too many to list. Earth, Wind and Fire a number of times would be the best.

Can't beat that for sure!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Not counting concerts I was actually DJing or otherwise a part of:

Front row, dead center, Radiohead, Hutchinson Field, 2001
    Pretty damn close, Eddie Bo, Chicago, 2006 (?) Jazz Fest
    Row four (or something), Vashti Bunyan, Chicago, 2006
    On the glass, at the elbow, Chicago Wolves v. Milwaukee Admirals, 2000 (?)

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    I like Big Chan have worked in the concert industry for 20 + years so lots of things-most I don't care about. I was also @ the Stevie Wonder concert maybe 5 years ago. Here in San Diego-first date of the tour-5th row center-PRICELESS! Plus my two friends Fausto Cuevas & Munyungo play percussion in the band.

• Options
    2nd row, right behind home plate, Fenway Park, twice.
    -Once when Roger Clemens was starting.
    -Once when Pedro Martinez was starting.

Concerts, I don't know. Most of the ones I've gone to didn't involve seating, so you could get as close as you wanted.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I had a few good seats back in the day:

-Courtside for some Washington Bullets (now the Wizards for you young bucks) games in the late 70s (man, I'm old).

-Backstage pass for the Big Daddy Kane concert at Fayetteville Coliseum in 1990 (with Kool Moe Dee, Pos K, Latifah, and Ice-T).

-Front row tickets at the Palace Theater in Cleveland (1994) to see Phyllis Hyman, Angela Bofill, Ronnie Laws, and Larry Carlton.

-Sat at the table in front of the stage at the Blue Note (1999) when John Abercrombie played with Ravi Coltrane,
    George Mraz, and Tony Freedus.

-I sat in on drums with some opening group (their name escapes me) playing at The House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, SC.

-I was 5 rows from the front to see Sir Paul McCartney at Bradley Center in Mllwaukee (2003).

-Near the front row at Summerfest in Mliwaukee (2005) for KRS-ONE, Whodini, Doug E. Fresh, and Big Daddy Kane.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Sat in the Giants owner's seats at a Giant/Cardinal doubleheader at the old Candlestick.

The row behind the Long Island Nets bench w/ Dr's J & K.

Third row, three nights in a row for Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden

On stage for Cheap Trick in the early 80's and Korn/Stain'd with my kid 8-10 years ago.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

NICE!!!!!!!!!

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I once dreamed Prince performed just for me & my girl in our livingroom...
    One of my most cherished memory's of something that did actually not happen. :P

• Front Row -

B-52's in Athens around 1984
    Willie Nelson - Fox Theater Atlanta 1980
    Mothers Finest - Agora Ballroom Atlanta 1980
    Michael Franks, David Sanborn and Stanley Clarke - Fox Theater Atlanta

First Five Rows -

Neil Young - Blossom Cleveland 1987
    Tom Waits - Concertgebouw Amsterdam 1986
    Grateful Dead - Iowa City Fieldhouse 1982

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Hah. A few, best one was Courtney Pine @ Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.

Had argued with the-then-bird earlier, arrived late and fuming, and she was all "You'd better not have shit seats" before we walked in, to a packed room, middle of tune, had to walk right down the centre aisle, right to the front, Courtney was stood front-centre on the floor, facing us in the aisle on a radio mike.

Watched us walk all the way up with the rest of the crowd, I held out my hand as we stopped, he shook it, we sat down in the only two empty seats left, right next to him.

He was playing all the way through this.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    Rockadelic said:

NICE!!!!!!!!!

Song Remains the Same?

• 2nd to 6th row on every concert between 1986 and 1992.

the one that got away:

in the 90's right after the D.O.C. dropped his album and blew up the worls with it he headlined a tour with slick rick,salt & pepa,steady b,d-nice,and a few other major acts. my boss told me i could leave work to buy tickets. i got front row seats. a month later D.O.C. got into that car wreck that damaged his throat and the concert was cancelled!

• i sat on a green leather couch, courtside, for michael jordan's last game in canada.

• my best seats

- third row center for MILES DAVIS back in 90
    ...right before he passed away in Paris....

....................................................................................
    - I had great lower level end zone seats to the SUPERBOWL XXXVIII in Houston...

• other than being on stage i would say... on my dads shoulders to see bob marley in 1980 in jamaica. truthfully i was so little that i don't remember this but since we have family photos of it i feel like i do.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ^ Can't be beat.

Every baseball game I have ever been to has been the best seats. No matter where they were. Pro, High School, Little League, College.
    Except here in Portland at Civic Stadium which has no good seats.

When I was going to concerts I was a blues, folk fan which meant good seats were easy.
    At Wolf Trap in the 70s at a stage in the woods:
    Sweet Honey in the Rock, Martin Bogan & Armstrong, Honeyboy Edwards. HE was the first person I saw play with a slide. All the sudden those Robert Johnson records made sense.

Bonnie Raitt with Arthur Cruddup, in front of stage, gym at Georgetown U.
    With Freebo, Lowell George, Richie Hayward, Bill Payne, Sam Clayton backing them up.

Danny Gatton with Liz Meyer at a club in College Park.

Dr John at the Polish Hall in Syracuse. Just him and piano. Less than 100 people showed up. Sound system was fucked, so we sat on the stage.

Albert Collins, Muddy Waters, Clifton Chiener at the Euphoria in Portland.

Jr Wells Buddy Guy at the Rainbow Tavern in Seattle.

Number one is Elizabeth Cotton taking time to show me how to play one of her songs.