Charlottesville Plan 9-Records?

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Does the c'ville plan 9 have records? that don't suck? I have limited time, holleur at a playeur.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    havent been there forever so i catn call it. keep an eye out for a private folk thing from charlottesville called "dodge d'arte" with a beach on the cover. if youre headed out 64 you might want to have a stop in stanton. i found great stuff there when i was working on a movie once.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    no. its depressing to go in there.

• edulus said:

I agree, it is very sad, don't bother

• girgir 329 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    edulus said:

dunno the last time you were there but they seem to have a decent selection. not nearly as picked over as the richmond location

• basicbasic 10 Posts
    I have to agree that most of the times I have stopped in it has been bleak but I have copped some decent stuff before. It just depends if someone has dropped off a decent collection recently. 12"s, private presses and foreign stuff tend to get overlooked when pricing too.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I may or may not have dodged a bullet here, didn't go. Plan 9 Richmond was gabage.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The_Non said:
    I may or may not have dodged a bullet here, didn't go. Plan 9 Richmond was gabage.

You should have checked Steady Sounds instead.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    The_Non said:

You should have checked Steady Sounds instead.

I did foo. I bought a boatload of stuff, but didn't spend the time I wanted to because I got in an argument w/my ladyfriend. I hope I didn't make a bad impression on the homeslices in there.

• gir said:
    CousinLarry said:
    edulus said:

dunno the last time you were there but they seem to have a decent selection. not nearly as picked over as the richmond location

Last time I looked it was all toto records. I will revisit.

• The_Non said:
    didn't spend the time I wanted to because I got in an argument w/my ladyfriend

been there. that's why the girlfriend bench is :necessary:

• girgir 329 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    gir said:
    CousinLarry said:
    edulus said:

Last time I looked it was all toto records. I will revisit.

yeah i just realized it's around the corner from where i've been working part time in charlottesville, with tasty pizza the next strip over!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Speaking of Charlottesville, has anyone seen the documentary "The Parking Lot Movie", about the Corner Parking Lot in Charlottesville? Off topic, but very entertaining.

• bluesnag said:
    Speaking of Charlottesville, has anyone seen the documentary "The Parking Lot Movie", about the Corner Parking Lot in Charlottesville? Off topic, but very entertaining.

I grew up near Charlottesville and would be curious to see this - where did you see it?

Plan 9 was the first "cool" record store I ever went to - this was back in the eighties. Going there definitely set me down the road of buying music. There was a sort of mystique - with cool esoteric posters and records and hipper-than-thou clerks. It all seems embarrassingly "High Fidelity"-ish now but that stuff makes an impression on a fourteen year old.
    Reading that it is not much for records now does make me a little sad/wistful, although I sort of had an intuition that this would be the case.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I decided a long time ago that ladyfriend was worth a lot more than records.

I'm a lover not a digger, I guess.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    bluesnag said:

actually, yes -- I saw this at Sxsw last year randomly (just happened to fit an open slot in my schedule) and it was pretty entertaining. some definite characters work that lot, and it reminded me a lot of a few retail jobs I had where very bright people tended to stick around for years, hiding from the other corners of life. Also pleasantly surprised to find I knew one of the employees featured in the doc, a guy who moved to Bmore for art school shortly after it was filmed.