The Saddest Thing I Ever Read

jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Read this 3 days ago and I can't shake it.

http://gizmodo.com/5726667/the-agonizing-last-words-of-bill-zeller

He seemed fun and happy and kind to me.

It bothers me that the man who did this is still out there, perhaps doing it to others, almost certainly unpunished.

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    jesus....although that was insanely long read, it all has to be fully read...its left my mind warped for the rest of the day, and it is really sad....

• Options
    I posted a link to this in that "Raw Beatles" thread because of what the writer had to say about his fundamentalist upbringing, even though that material is further down in the piece. It really is a very powerful and heartbreaking testament.

RIP.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    oh man that was intense. very very sad.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wham broke up?

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    For me, one of the most disturbing parts is how cool and rational the decision seems. Given his beliefs that counselors couldn't help him and might very well divulge his secret, his decision actually seems reasonable. The very betrayal by family and church that caused his misery also seems to have made him unable to believe that he could get help.

He was a super-talented programmer--one of the best. He also created MyTunes, which had over 3 million downloads.

And also a great guy to chat with at the bar.

Like you said in that thread, what a loss

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    I don't want to be sad so I'm going to pass

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    batmon said:
    Wham broke up?

Don't be sad. Wham may be gone, but "Wake me up before you go-go" is eternal.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    my view is that his parents are fuct, not trying to get into a huge religion debate, cause i dont get down like that, but his parents are fuct....imho

Prayer and Bible reading had made them a tight-knit family ??? Anna read stories to her son, including a children???s version of "Pilgrim???s Progress." And five days a week, they gathered for a few minutes of "family time," in which Bill; his brother, John; and his parents would all enact scenes from the Bible.

really enacting scenes from the bible?...i might not be the best person to judge as i dont go to church, never did and i havent been in a church for probably 30 years, but re-enacting scenes from the bible at home with family seems a bit weird to me...

• that note was absolutely gutting.

no ones actually come out and explicitly said it in this thread or an article, probably out of respect for the deceased, but all signs point to one of the biggest, unchecked, continuing crimes on humanity in sexual abuse by the clergy.

Prayer and Bible reading had made them a tight-knit family ??? Anna read stories to her son, including a children???s version of "Pilgrim???s Progress." And five days a week, they gathered for a few minutes of "family time," in which Bill; his brother, John; and his parents would all enact scenes from the Bible.

not to take the piss, but: