Herbie Hancock - Sextant (Album Art related)

BruceGeetzBruceGeetz 97 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Does a full (both sides of the LP) version of the artwork exist?

This is such a great cover, but the back is just as dope and adds a mystique a la Bitches Brew.

....Just picked up this LP today and I'm listening for the first time and this shit is ILL.

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    There probably isn't one and if it is it would more than likely be an import. It's an album I enjoy as well. Some of it sounds similar to The Spook Who Sat By The Door soundtrack he scored but was never released when the film came out. It was later released.

• Do you mean a poster of the full piece? That would be amazing. I would not hesitate to put that up. If it doesn't exist it might be a nice project worth pursuing. Licensing the work and printing them for sale.

• I have never seen a gatefold edition of this but here's an idea.
    Since this is a cheap record, you could think about getting another copy, preferably an american paste-on pressing.
    Then cut open the top and bottom spine and fold it open like a gatefold. Voila!

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    There probably isn't one and if it is it would more than likely be an import. It's an album I enjoy as well. Some of it sounds similar to The Spook Who Sat By The Door soundtrack he scored but was never released when the film came out. It was later released.

Argh - 'The Spook' has still never been released. That horrible vinyl 'reissue' took:
    1) artwork from a poster of the film.
    2) stole the Spook Theme from Kirk Degiorgio's Sound Of Science compilation (which had unfortunately not been mastered by the company properly and distorted the flute melody). This is NOT, I repeat NOT, the version from the film (which is fully orchestrated). This is a 4 minute clip of a quintet version recorded during the Headhunters sessions (the actual take is 11 minutes long) and it was put out on a flexidisc advertising the Fender Rhodes piano.
    3) it lifts most of the rest of the music / dialogue straight from a VHS of the film.

The soundtrack itself is interesting - a mixture of some forgettable lounge music (from the loungey scenes in the film) alongside some incredible Sextant-like (as you said) space funk with tape-reversed cymbals etc, and a hauntingly beautiful love theme with a Rhodes and cello duet. Garnett Brown was involved along with Todd Cochran (Bayete) and many others.
    Have you watched the film because you can hear all the music, and it is a great movie too.

If you watch this clip, the theme of the film starts at: 2:35, listen to it in all its orchestrated glory - it is amazing!

There is also a scene where Herbie possibly cameos as a taxi driver. Look out for it!

• Yeah, sorry if it sounded confusing, but I mean a full sized picture of the actual art, not a gatefold cover.

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    BruceGeetz said:
    Yeah, sorry if it sounded confusing, but I mean a full sized picture of the actual art, not a gatefold cover.

That painting was done by Robert Springett who also did the artwork for Crossings and Thrust. You could see if you track him down if he's still alive, and ask him if he can do a print of some sort.
    Otherwise, the best thing might be to take a very high resolution photograph of a mint condition gatefold cover, stitch the photos together (editing out any of the text you don't want), and then get a large print done.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    TomO said:
    stratasphere said:

Argh - 'The Spook' has still never been released. That horrible vinyl 'reissue' took:
    1) artwork from a poster of the film.
    2) stole the Spook Theme from Kirk Degiorgio's Sound Of Science compilation (which had unfortunately not been mastered by the company properly and distorted the flute melody). This is NOT, I repeat NOT, the version from the film (which is fully orchestrated). This is a 4 minute clip of a quintet version recorded during the Headhunters sessions (the actual take is 11 minutes long) and it was put out on a flexidisc advertising the Fender Rhodes piano.
    3) it lifts most of the rest of the music / dialogue straight from a VHS of the film.

The soundtrack itself is interesting - a mixture of some forgettable lounge music (from the loungey scenes in the film) alongside some incredible Sextant-like (as you said) space funk with tape-reversed cymbals etc, and a hauntingly beautiful love theme with a Rhodes and cello duet. Garnett Brown was involved along with Todd Cochran (Bayete) and many others.

Thanks for the heads up on the sountrack being a bootleg. I remember reading about someone finding a promotional flexi-disc some years ago, but I haven't been fortunate to find one in the field.
    Have you watched the film because you can hear all the music, and it is a great movie too.

If you watch this clip, the theme of the film starts at: 2:35, listen to it in all its orchestrated glory - it is amazing!

There is also a scene where Herbie possibly cameos as a taxi driver. Look out for it!

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    The flexidisc sometimes pops up - it came free with Downbeat so it shouldn't be too expensive. You could try www.euclidrecords.com and ask the guy if he has any copies - I got my first one from him a few years ago.
    If you can't wait to find a copy, you can listen to both sides of it here anyway:

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/audio.php

Cheers,
    Tom