Champagne Recommendations

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Cheap Stuff -

Regular Stuff -

Semi-Baller Stuff -

I was invited to a holiday dinner party and i was thinkin bout some Vueve Cliquot Rose.
Is there another brand I could shave 10-15 dollars off or just stay w/ that?

NO SPARKLNG WINE

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Moet & Chandon Nectar Imperial is reasonably priced. If you are looking for something on the sweet side, maybe for a special lady-friend this punches well above its price-class.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That looks good.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Clicquot yellow label.............it's better and cheaper than Clicquot Rose.

edpowers said:
    Clicquot yellow label.............it's better and cheaper than Clicquot Rose.

I didnt know that. Ive had both and thought the Rose was the "extra". Thx.

• Years ago I worked at a high-end wine store and got to participate in a tasting of top dollar champagnes.

Dom Perignon Vintage, Cristal - everything.

I and several others had the Perrier Jouet Rose Brut in our top three list, and it was the cheapest in the tasting:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1051697&cid=TPV-Googlebase

This was years ago, though, I haven't checked it recently.

oooh yeah

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Figh dollah Prosecco from Trader Joe's, playah!

About four years ago at the flea market here in Oakland a seller brought out the contents of an estate he had just purchased. The estate lacked any records, so I went straight to the boxes of wines. I copped four bottles of Dom Perignon: '93, '94, '96 & '98.

• pop your Dom/I'm the man whose esophagus transform to a fuckin gat like Megatron

out of curiosity, did a gerbil end up on anyone's Christmas list?

rootlesscosmo said:

??Funny though???

musica said:

SPARKLING WINO!!

• if you're after a champagne with a degree of complexity to its flavor:

http:// champagne-bollinger.com
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollinger

-special cuvee will not disappoint and is their most moderately priced. haven't tried the grand annee, R.D., or the Vieille Vignes Francaises.

btw: this is what james bond orders(when he's not having vodka)

• batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

??Funny though???

what can I say it's been a ras kass morning for me. i can't explain it.

• musica said:
    About four years ago at the flea market here in Oakland a seller brought out the contents of an estate he had just purchased. The estate lacked any records, so I went straight to the boxes of wines. I copped four bottles of Dom Perignon: '93, '94, '96 & '98.

:face_melt: Was that at Laney or Coliseum? Any old Bordeaux or Burgundy in that lot? As much as I dream about finding great records at the swap or estate sales, finding an intact wine cellar is a close second.

Two inexpensive but great Champagne suggestions:
    Agrapart "Les 7 Crus" Blanc de Blancs, usually around $30 and organic to boot
    RH Coutier Brut Tradition, also in the $30 range

These are both classic in flavor but are grower-Champagnes (little dudes who grow all their own grapes), not a mega-brand like Veuve. Will score you points if there are any serious wine geeks in the house.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

regular

ros??

veuve yellow all day

i had a bottle of veuve with the fam for xmas=can't go wrong

the other two were wedding gifts and i enjoyed them very much
    i also recently found a moet ice bucket while diggin for records

Chuck_Huss said:
    musica said:

:face_melt: Was that at Laney or Coliseum? Any old Bordeaux or Burgundy in that lot? As much as I dream about finding great records at the swap or estate sales, finding an intact wine cellar is a close second.

Man, those four bottles kinda cashed me out b/c the seller wanted $15 each for them, so I didn't buy anything else (my wine game is non-existent compared to my record game, but who doesn't know Dom=baller?). It was at Laney. I brought the '98 bottle to a reputable SF restaurant for my birthday party a couple years ago and the waitress was on some :face_melt: when she saw the year on that thing!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Some cheap bubbles (not Champagne)

about $8 a btl

I am a sucker for this stuff. about $13 a btl

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    batmon said:

NO SPARKLNG WINE

• A good Cremant D'Alsace is always a good, cheap alternative:

And they are methode champenoise, so not sparkling wine.

• ban me now

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    batmon said:
    musica said:

SPARKLING WINO!!

Don't sleep on Gruet. New Mexico stand up!

• selperfuge said:
    ban me now

You'll be spared teh ban if you can actually drink a whole bottle of that by yourself.

• musica said:
    Chuck_Huss said:
    musica said:

Man, those four bottles kinda cashed me out b/c the seller wanted $15 each for them, so I didn't buy anything else (my wine game is non-existent compared to my record game, but who doesn't know Dom=baller?). It was at Laney. I brought the '98 bottle to a reputable SF restaurant for my birthday party a couple years ago and the waitress was on some :face_melt: when she saw the year on that thing!

Hang onto that '96 - vintage of the century status across the board in Champagne. Old champagne from a great producer and a great vintage is a real treat!

Also, I agree with the Gruet fans. Great domestic sparkling for not much money. Like a lot of the best sparkling wine houses in the US, they have roots in France.

• in all sincerity that 'Dre wasn't so bad. perhaps a good value for the money, of course I was 20 then. haven't revisited.

right now we're holding a 2002 Dom P which unfortunately is not going to be popped Friday but will soon be a gift at a friend's baby shower, she met her man in 2002.

and this strange thing i won at a party earlier in the year:

don't see myself popping that at philharmonic in the park anytime soon.

btw that flea market score story is wild!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the bag is wack but the little cooler strap on carrier thing is awesome

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    batmon said:
    Vueve Cliquot

Vueve Cliquot
    Moet & Chandon

Remembered this thread after talking to some friends about a documentary ("Dispatches") about these big champagne producers, and how France has allowed a loophole for them to import wines from other regions and countries, bottle it, and then label & sell it as champagne. @34 mins here:
    http://documentarystorm.com/health/whats-in-your-wine/
    also a disturbing look at what goes into wine.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Vintage 2004 is very nice, and good value too.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    cosign on the gruet.

if you want to stay under $20 check out sparklers from sonoma or anderson valley...

the roederer estate (makers of cristal) is a winner as is the schramsberg from the north coast of california.

id stay away from the ubiquitous yellow label that is veuve.

non vintage stuff from roederer, pol roger, laurent perrier are fantastic.

there are some great spanish cavas out there too.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    rkwpark said:

there are some great spanish cavas out there too.

Big cosine. Champagne is just a protected designation of origin. There are a lot of equally great products that are way cheaper. Important thing is they are made "M??thode Champenoise" which means same treatment as original champagne just from other domains.
    Cr??mant d'Alsace and Cava is the way to go. Also a way of true understatement plus you will impress the real wine geeks way more by bringing an excellent "underground product". Champagne is the obvious choice like being asked for funk and picking James Brown.

My girl is in the know when it comes to Cr??mant, I'm more into cava. Try these:

Rexach Baqu??s Gran Carta Brut or Brut Imperial

Juv?? y Camps Brut Gran Reserva

Elisabet Ravent??s - Ravent??s i Blanc