BLACK DYNAMITE (Movie-strut)

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
After a few months of showing friends the trailers, I finally caught this flick tonight at CINEVEGAS, our little film festival out here. I went in expecting a scary movie/wayans bros. style comedy so I set the mental bar pretty low. I was pretty surprised that it was actually a really well done movie shot on film by people who actually respect the genre. It has a ton of recognizable homages(Dolemite, 3 the hard way, Enter the Dragon, etc..) and still holds well on its own merit. Michael Jai White really sets shit off the action scenes were on point and he's probably the most self aware action star I've ever seen in any movie. It has a ton of memorable scenes and quotes for days. Don't trip it could use some support so watch out for it when it comes to your city. So, after the flick the whole audience applauded and stayed through the credits. I figured they were waiting for another festival flick. As I'm walking out the door they announced that the director Scott Sanders and Michael Jai White were doing a Q and A, and I'm standing right next to em. (go figure) So I learned some interesting things:- Michael jai white came up with the concept on his own while listening to some James brown on his Ipod overseas while working on Undisputed 2. He came back to America went to a Costume shop and picked up the blue suit you see him wear in the film. He thought it was a hilarious idea so he started working on the character and started writing the script for the movie. Linked up with Scott Sanders and they jumped right into the collab. - The soundtrack which was pretty killer was handled by a cat named Adrian Younge. There was a ton of KPM Library stuff, but the Original material was really on point. Not reinterpretations, but completly original sounds that have really recognizable elements, spacey wah guitar, breaks and ill flute stabs he put it all together himself. Real nice beat digging brotha, told me theres probably going to be a piece about the score in Wax Poetics. - David Choe did the poster art. - John Kerry the villain from dolemite films makes an appearance as well as Arsenio hall, Brian mcknight, Captain kangaroo etc..This is one franchise that I can fully support. Fuckatransformerstwilightbullshit. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED. http://www.blackdynamite.com/ - spidey

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm excited to see it after reading your post but...

Fuckaharrypottertwilightbullshit.

LEAVE HARRY POTTER OUT OF THIS!!!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The who compiled the library tracks (not the Adrian Young fellow who did the original tracks) posts in the waxidermy forums. There was a thread on it 6 months ago:

http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=19012&highlight=dynamite

It looks badass. I want to see it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

b/w

SALLI RICHARDSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    thanks for the heads up. i will check this out.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I saw this at the sydney film festival. Funny as hell had the whole audience laughing. You gotta see this. Im picking it up on dvd when it drops.

• just got around to seeing this and wanted to say that I think most Strutters would love it as much as grey New Balances, Bollywood women and Australian hip-hop.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    "I threw that shit before i came in the room!!!"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    BreakSelf said:

One of the best lines in the film. Starts off strong, but I found it a bit lacking in last bit.

Still a good flick tho!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DOR said:
    BreakSelf said:

One of the best lines in the film. Starts off strong, but I found it a bit lacking in last bit.

Still a good flick tho!

The White House Invasion is kinda corny