The ONE song that represents XMAS for you..

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Whats the single track that you associate most with your Xmas ?

Mine's Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney (!?!?!)

Me and my sister HATED this song when we were younger... HATED IT! It filled us with Christmas rage and resentment.

But now when I hear it, it gets me all happy and nostalgic...

:oof:

REP YOURS OR YOU'RE SOFT!!

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I suppose it's any of a number of the Tchaikovsky joints from Nutcracker, son. You know how we do, dunn. Love that shit and really look forward to bringing my kids to see that ballet one of these days (meaning one of these days when I have kids.)

Or Vince Guaraldi "Christmas Time Is Here" - cliche but the best fucking jawn ever. He's a good man.

Another jawn that is XMAS is Johnny Hartman & John Coltrane album. Always got run at my house during the XMAS time. Lush Life isn't a very cheerful song and all but still, fuck it.

And of course James Brown.

Sorry, I know that's not ONE song. Oh well, I'm Jewish anyway.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This is going to sound like hip hop revisionism, but this is the jam:

Mainly because it was the bed music for Newbury Comics Christmas ads every single year. Not mad though. Not mad at all.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    "Christmas time is here" for me too, such a beautiful song. Never heard it as a kid though, christmas television in Sweden is all about Disney characters ("From All of Us to All of You").

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I also ride hard for O Tannenbaum.

• Seriously, Christmas Time Is Here will melt my ice black heart every time.
    I'd listen to that song on the 4th of july.

• kenny g, yo

• The Crystals "Santa Claus is coming to Town"

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    Tom Waits, Heart Of Saturday Night album has been the Christmas soundtrack in my house for many years.
    that and Fairytale of New York.

• Grandfather said:
    Seriously, Christmas Time Is Here will melt my ice black heart every time.
    I'd listen to that song on the 4th of july.

This, backed with Otis singing White Christmas...

• "Christmas Time is Here" = National Anthem of Christmas

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Here's a real quick funny story.
    Almost 17 yrs ago one on our radio stations was changing formats during Christmas so from 2 days before Christmas til the day after Christmas the station ran 5 songs on a loop: Shaq "I got skillz", Garth Brooks "Friends in low places", Barry Manilow "Copacabana" and 2 others (I can't remember what). So, with everyone drinking and having a good time we put that station on for laughs. The one that stuck with me was "Copacabana". This was also one of the last Christmas' that my whole family was all together (that following year my older brother moved away and several relatives pasted). So, every time I manage to hear that song it reminds me of one of the best Christmas' I've ever had.

OK, now rip me apart with the jokes.

• Breez said:
    Almost 17 yrs ago one on our radio stations was changing formats during Christmas so from 2 days before Christmas til the day after Christmas the station ran 5 songs on a loop: Shaq "I got skillz", Garth Brooks "Friends in low places", Barry Manilow "Copacabana" and 2 others (I can't remember what). So, with everyone drinking and having a good time we put that station on for laughs. The one that stuck with me was "Copacabana". This was also one of the last Christmas' that my whole family was all together (that following year my older brother moved away and several relatives pasted). So, every time I manage to hear that song it reminds me of one of the best Christmas' I've ever had.

Haha. Love it!

Its funny how things can stick with you. Things you weren't even expecting to at the time.

• Another vote for "Christmas TIme Is Here" right here, but I'd like to add "Skating" from that same album. It's something about that song that brings me back to when I was 7 and I went to the skating rink and fell hundreds of times before I realized that skating was not for me. I did try again a few years later with much greater success, though.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Oh, and this one here just kills me every time.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
    My brother and I and my aunt's two girls were close growing up, like siblings. I remember watching a Rudolph cartoon for my younger cousin's first birthday after we had gotten together for a birthday/holiday party. I was 4.5 at the time and as the oldest, I think I'm the only one that remembers. It was one of my earliest and best childhood memories.

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Almond said:
    Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee

That shit reminds me of Lethal Weapon more than it does XMAS.

• Cosmo said:

Vince Guaraldi "Christmas Time Is Here"

funny, it wasnt until i had a conversation with Buck65 about his work with Jerry Granelli that a gained a much higher appreciation for the Charlie Brown Christmas Soundtrack, i didnt even know that he was the drummer in the band until Rich mentioned it, i only met Jerry a few times but i was never able to get my Charlie Brown album signed...dude is a sick drummer!

its the one album that reminds me Christmas is on its way...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    My mom has always been a Christmas nut so there's been plenty of songs throughout my childhood that I would have thought would stick but none did like this one. It wasn't until I lived on my own in the city of Chicago that I heard this song played seriously on the radio. Something about being on my own in a big city that's as magical as Chicago around Christmas and wandering around hearing this song wherever I went stuck with me like no other.

• djdaze said:

• The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York

• Yeah, I'm a sucker for the Pumpkins.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Breez said:

breez, that story made my day haha. i lol'd.

• for me: John Coltrane 'my favourite things'

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz, It's Christmas
    Ray Charles - I'm Busted ( because I certainly will be after the holidays are over ).

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts

So dead-on. I could never could understand why certain family members; speaking generally and hearing the same from others all the time - always have to make the holidays so tense and competitive. Please to observe the time when people chill the fuck out and leave the catty drama for another time. Thank you!