Building an ark (biblical rain in LA-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
LA hood check: how bad is the flooding in your part of town?

Not too crazy out here in the SGV (though up in the foothills = mudslide city). I'd be scurred to see what it looks like down by work in Long Beach though.

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I picked a great time to come down. Been cooped up in Ventura since Friday. I'm on the beach, and aside from some drains on the bike path being blown up, it's just raining and raining and raining. Up in the hills around Ojai yesterday it was sloppy, but nothing major.

Went down to Venice to babysit on Monday. 1 was closed, so I had to take the freeways. Not rad, either way.

I'm seeing cars in ditches on straight roads. NAGL. Chill out.

• Soggy AF on Fairfax. That's all.

• Oliver, before I moved to the Bay, the last apartment I had was just south of Pico on La Cienega. One rainy night, I was listening to records, smoking a joint and having a great time with a few friends. I lived on the second floor, and when I opened the front curtains to check what sounded like some seriously heavy rain - nothing could prepare me for what my eyes where about to see. Cars were FLOATING down La Cienega, and at a pretty rapid and violent pace. Being kinda high, I couldn't believe my eyes and I really had to do a double check. I had never seen anything like this in my entire life in L.A. I ran down with my friends to check the spectacle and see if my car was still on the ground. The scene on La cienega was insane, people were shook and fearing for their lives. It was not that difficult to get washed under. I watched about 20 cars in the span of 6 minutes wash right past me. A woman was stuck in the middle of the street with her kids crying. It was bad. Thankfully, It was just a freak flash flood that lasted about 45 minutes. I actually snapped off some photos that I still have somewhere. In some places this would not be that strange, but this is La Cienega, one of the busiest streets connecting Hollywood. This was shortly after the riots, which hit my neighborhood a bit. I remember thinking Wow, this is some apocalyptic shit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Ecology of Fear" for real