Just moved and am FINALLY setting up a listening area. Need help :)

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Been somewhat out of commission for the last month and a half or so, finally got all moved into a new place and I'm trying to address the age old question of setting up a turntable based listening area in the main room of my apt. I've got a spare 1200 and a couple of older late 90s' Bose 3 Way bookshelf speakers that worked well for me back in the day, and I've also already got a NAD PP 2i Phono Preamp to boost the Phono signal. Not trying to go massively loud as I have neighbors below me and it's only about a 11' x 9' room, but I do want good clean sound. So what do you guys recommend? Amp and Equalizer? Regular, tube, what kind? Different speakers? Decent homeplay needle for good sound/but not neccessarily outta control audiofile steez?

I know this kinda thing gets discussed from time to time, and I def don't wanna be annoying, so if anyone knows of a good past thread that basically addresses this, please drop the link and I'll be evermore grateful to ya. Thanks!

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    NiteKrawler45 said:
    Been somewhat out of commission for the last month and a half or so, finally got all moved into a new place and I'm trying to address the age old question of setting up a turntable based listening area in the main room of my apt. I've got a spare 1200 and a couple of older late 90s' Bose 3 Way bookshelf speakers that worked well for me back in the day, and I've also already got a NAD PP 2i Phono Preamp to boost the Phono signal. Not trying to go massively loud as I have neighbors below me and it's only about a 11' x 9' room, but I do want good clean sound. So what do you guys recommend? Amp and Equalizer? Regular, tube, what kind? Different speakers? Decent homeplay needle for good sound/but not neccessarily outta control audiofile steez?

I know this kinda thing gets discussed from time to time, and I def don't wanna be annoying, so if anyone knows of a good past thread that basically addresses this, please drop the link and I'll be evermore grateful to ya. Thanks!

Git rid of the Bose, get something without a paper cone speaker, spend your money on some Paradigm Atom monitors, small and sound so good, take up less space.

]Ask any audio/video reviewer for a list of best bang-for-the-buck, under-$500 speakers and I am betting each and every one of them will have Paradigm's Atom speakers on it. Since its inception, the Atom Monitor has been a value-for-dollar juggernaut, packing insane levels of performance into a small, attractive cabinet that even a kid with a paper route could afford. Just how affordable are the Paradigm Atom Monitors? Try $250 for the pair.

The Atom Monitor is an attractive, compact speaker with a fit and finish that on its own defies its asking price. The Atom Monitor comes in a variety of finishes, including Wenge, Cherry, Rosenut, Black Ash and even White. The cabinet is solidly constructed and has a few design cues that class the Atom up nicely, making it a much more expensive-looking speaker.

• NiteKrawler45 said:

Git rid of the Bose, get something without a paper cone speaker, spend your money on some Paradigm Atom monitors, small and sound so good, take up less space.

]Ask any audio/video reviewer for a list of best bang-for-the-buck, under-$500 speakers and I am betting each and every one of them will have Paradigm's Atom speakers on it. Since its inception, the Atom Monitor has been a value-for-dollar juggernaut, packing insane levels of performance into a small, attractive cabinet that even a kid with a paper route could afford. Just how affordable are the Paradigm Atom Monitors? Try $250 for the pair.

The Atom Monitor is an attractive, compact speaker with a fit and finish that on its own defies its asking price. The Atom Monitor comes in a variety of finishes, including Wenge, Cherry, Rosenut, Black Ash and even White. The cabinet is solidly constructed and has a few design cues that class the Atom up nicely, making it a much more expensive-looking speaker.

thanks for the tip man, and they're so affordable!

• I did a fair amount of testing in my home and found the Shure White label hard to beat for an all-around cartridge in the $100 range.

I have a larger set of Paradigms and they are excellent - very listenable over long time periods and a wide variety of music.

So many decent amps around - it depends on what you have available. I love tubes but they are more maintenance and throw off a lot of heat. I have a Dynaco tube pre and a Bryston solid state amp for 'best of both worlds' set up.