A Marvin Gaye / Pink Floyd collaboration?

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Has anyone ever heard of such an project?

From My Marvin Story from Harvesting Heritage
To the three people reading this, I figured I???d drop my first story. Here goes:

I was an Intern back in the late 1970???s and early ???80s at a UK-based label called Harvest Heritage Records. Basically, this label was a subsidiary of Harvest Records, who put out a lot of seminal music in what I would call the ???Classic Era??? of music.

Harvest Heritage basically handled reissues of the major Harvest releases as well as smaller releases in the 70???s and on.

Fast forward to a couple months ago. I was digging through my storage unit, rummaging through a lot of my old records from the Heritage days when I came across something that I realized had never seen the light of day.

Now, in the early 1980???s, Marvin Gaye had relocated from here in the states out to Belgium, which isn???t far from London. At the time he was separating from Motown. I believe he was touring out one of his last records with them, the ???In Our Lifetime??? record, maybe. At this time, Pink Floyd was wrapping up some extra tour dates for their The Wall Tour. They had a four day run at Earl???s Court (in London), and planned on getting a lot of footage for the Documentary that they later released.

It just so happened that Marvin was in town with an off day from his tour and stopped in during stage set-up and rehearsals. Apparently, something was worked out as to get him on stage performing with Pink Floyd. The next night at Earl???s Court, Marvin came out and performed ???Let???s Get it On??? over ???Shine on You Crazy Diamond???. I???ll never forget it.

Fast Forward a bit, and Marvin and Roger (Waters) begin kicking around the idea of recording some material together. Now at the time, Marvin is pissed with Motown and decides he wants to re-record some of these songs over an entirely different canvas. So Marvin and Roger decide to collide some of their favorite songs together. Kind of like what these DJs do with these ???Mash-Up??? records, only they???re bringing in the instruments and everything.

So they knock the record out really quick. Everyone digs it. Since these songs already existed, Harvest viewed it as a re-issue of sorts and passed it along to Harvest Heritage to take care of the details. Unfortunately, none of the Marvin songs or images we wanted to use could get clearance from Motown???s lawyers. That isn???t to say the records weren???t pressed up, they just couldn???t be released.

Ok, so fast-forward to this past autumn. I???m digging through my storage unit. I have TONS of records in here, as well as some keepsakes from my Record Label interning days. Needless to say I came across one of the rare copies of the Marvin Gaye and Pink Floyd Record. Obviously this would never get cleared to sell. I thought about eBay, but I just couldn???t bring myself to sell out the music like that.

So recently during the holidays, I???ve had some time off. And since my nephew is in town visiting, I figured I???d ask him to help me put the vinyl record on my computer and turn the songs into mp3s. He???s helping me upload picture of the album cover. I might have some footage in here of the live performance as well.

If you???re reading this, feel free to spread the good music. Check back. I hope to have all the music up by Christmas-time.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm taking bets this is total bullshit.....

The only mention of this Earl's Court performance is here......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem_for_a_Dream_(album)

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    ^ I was just going to say...

I'm going to call bullsh*t strictly based on the image of the cover. Looks like fake ringwear!

I'd love to be proven wrong!

• And not only that...but in the time period that this story takes place, wouldn't Pink Floyd have already left the Harvest label for Columbia? Or were they still with Harvest in the UK?

• damn....if this is true, its a pretty crazy story none the less, i'll be watching to see if any mp3's get uploaded "Christmas-time"

love to hear what that collab would sound like...

• have a word.

• I have a hard time believing this - since when did Roger Waters ever "knock a record out really quick?"

Suspiciously blurry photo also.

(among the numerous other implausibilities)

• FAKE FINDS ALERT!!!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    gambit said:
    Now, in the early 1980???s, Marvin Gaye had relocated from here in the states out to Belgium, which isn???t far from London.

Not sure I'd even want to hear this colab, but I did enjoy this little geography lesson on some :orly:

• I thought this was about a new Hollertronix mixtape.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ^^^ expect a Marvin Floyd album done by some kid in his bedroom soon.

This is complete bullshit, but I give him midget props for his marketing.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    If he said he found a bootlegged recording of the concert where MG supposedly took the stage with PF, I might've believed that. Still, I read the whole thing.

• So, it never came out but somehow miraculously ended up getting mastered, lacquered, metal plated, had stampers and and then a 4/4 full color run cover?

Rad

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    = another terrible mash-up.

• if this is real, i'll post the full audio from the rare nick drake concert where the his backing band was the venga boys.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Whatevs, dudes. Haterz gon' hate. Yeah, there's no Gaye Floyd record. And laser-mounted dinosaurs aren't fighting for dominion over the hollow earth as we speak.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    day said:
    ^^^ expect a Marvin Floyd album done by some kid in his bedroom soon.

This is complete bullshit, but I give him midget props for his marketing.
    LOL @ "midget props"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    if this is real, i'll post the full audio from the rare nick drake concert where the his backing band was the venga boys.

Bryter Layter?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I actually have a copy of this record...

filed alongside my Mardi Gras w/o the bells 12" promo

• Everything from this tour has been documented and archived for years, a tour that was 30 years ago. No.

• Options
    The Hendrix/Sinatra sessions will be coming out before this stuff.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    The Hendrix/Sinatra sessions will be coming out before this stuff.

Joe Pesci played in Joey Dee & The Starlighters that also featured guitarist Jimmy(Jimi Hendrix) James.

So there very well may be a Joe Pesci/Jimi Hendrix tape waiting to be released somewhere.

"I got ya Poyple Haze right cheer"

• And not only that, but Hendrix did record for a label that Sinatra owned...

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Soooo,

These past months i've been working at Epic records. They gave me a tour around the building when i started working there, and also showed me around a large storage room they called 'the catalogue'.
    Man, the records i've seen there! Anyway, i stumbled apon the Sly Stone records, all sealed.
    One of them caught my eye, as i'd never seen it. I asked my co-worker but he didn't know about (the record).
    Months later i asked one of the managers if i could buy records from 'the catalogue' and he said 'sure, you work here, take anything you like'!
    I told him about this SLY and ELVIS record, and he told me the following story: 'In 1971 Elvis performed regularly in Vegas. Early spring Sly Stone went there to, you know, party n all. Sly went to Elvis' gig and they met afterwards.
    It clicked from start, and after a quick gamble n puff they decided to hit the studio. They pulled an all nighter and the session was recorded and sent to Epic HQ.
    The record was pressed but just before the release (Epic) got a phone call from lt. Parker (Elvis' manager) telling the management Elvis wanted 100 pink cadillacs or the deal was off. They didn't release the record, making it one of the raerest of all time.
    I'm thinking about uploading full 320 mp3s this Christmas just becausue i'm a friendly guy.
    I TOOK A PIC WITH MY SHITTY CAMERA TO PROOF! NO RINGWEAR THIS BABY IS SEALED MINT!
    Merry Christmas everyone!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    :game_over:

• Man, those Elvis/Sly albums used to be all over the cutout bins at Spin-It Records in Chicago back in 1987.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    leon said:
    Soooo,

These past months i've been working at Epic records. They gave me a tour around the building when i started working there, and also showed me around a large storage room they called 'the catalogue'.
    Man, the records i've seen there! Anyway, i stumbled apon the Sly Stone records, all sealed.
    One of them caught my eye, as i'd never seen it. I asked my co-worker but he didn't know about (the record).
    Months later i asked one of the managers if i could buy records from 'the catalogue' and he said 'sure, you work here, take anything you like'!
    I told him about this SLY and ELVIS record, and he told me the following story: 'In 1971 Elvis performed regularly in Vegas. Early spring Sly Stone went there to, you know, party n all. Sly went to Elvis' gig and they met afterwards.
    It clicked from start, and after a quick gamble n puff they decided to hit the studio. They pulled an all nighter and the session was recorded and sent to Epic HQ.
    The record was pressed but just before the release (Epic) got a phone call from lt. Parker (Elvis' manager) telling the management Elvis wanted 100 pink cadillacs or the deal was off. They didn't release the record, making it one of the raerest of all time.
    I'm thinking about uploading full 320 mp3s this Christmas just becausue i'm a friendly guy.
    I TOOK A PIC WITH MY SHITTY CAMERA TO PROOF! NO RINGWEAR THIS BABY IS SEALED MINT!

This is obviously some kind of clever joke trying to fool us.
    So you found a picture of Sly and Elvis together and faked a jacket from it.
    You are not fooling me.

The truth is that Sly's first group was the Stewart Four.
    A gospel group from Denton Texas in the early 50s.
    They even recorded a 78.
    Elvis used to sneak into the Black churches to hear the young Sly Stone and his siblings sing and play.
    After the services Sly and Elvis would get together.
    That's when Sly taught Elvis to strum a guitar, sing and swivel his hips.

Sadly, there are no known recordings of them jamming to Stewart Four favorites like God's Not Cruel, God Sake Hotel or God Loves Me Tender.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Actually a funky version of 'God's not cruel' is on this album! NO JOKE! This is Elvis playing bass, can't you see from the picture?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    leon said:
    Soooo,

I bet Biz has doubles

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    leon said:
    lt. Parker