Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I can't wait for this. Thanks for the heads-up Bassie!

• yeah thanks for the heads up!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Was Ghost's last album worth picking up? I fell out of love with him for a bit, but i've been playing "Supreme Clientele" non-stop recently, especially "Mighty Healthy".

This one looks promising, though that "2gether Baby" track isn't as good as the usual Ghostface single.

peace,xavier

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Wizard of Poetry?
    I loved it.
    Other than More Fish, which is just weak to me, not bad, I don't think he's put out a shit record.

I think we agree on the raps about a quarter of the time, so not sure if you'll like it.
    Also, Wizard is as much an r&b record as a rap one.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    haze25 said:
    Was Ghost's last album worth picking up? I fell out of love with him for a bit, but i've been playing "Supreme Clientele" non-stop recently, especially "Mighty Healthy".

I think he's been on a long slow fall-off; Fishscale is the last one that I mess with. It's not as if his abilities have deserted him or anything, but it really is more of the same with diminishing returns.

• haze25 said:
    peace,xavier

Depends on if you you like Trife more than Superb.

Ghost has been rapping like Trife for years now and is getting worse by the day. His voice has changed as well.

• should i not have enjoyed big doe rehab?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    haze25 said:

I think he's been on a long slow fall-off; Fishscale is the last one that I mess with. It's not as if his abilities have deserted him or anything, but it really is more of the same with diminishing returns.

Do you think he could make a truly great or even classic album at this point? Have we already heard everything he has to offer? I feel like updated production would cause his fans to yell foul and he'd somehow sell less records than before, and it seems that when he's on great beats it's like we take it for granted.

I feel like you, up until "Fishscale" he was batting damn near a thousand in my eyes, 'Bulletproof Wallets" was kind of a misfire but it was easy to dismiss the shortcomings if you had the unreleased tracks from it ("The Sun"/"The Watch") plus he was following up 3 undisputed classics (OB4CL/IRONMAN/SUPREME CLIENTELE) so you had to cut him a little slack.

I think maybe for me i was right in not picking up the last album, but i think i will pick this one up, i feel like it'll be a few really great tracks along with some clunkers, i hope im wrong though.

peace,xavier

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    bassie said:

I think we agree on the raps about a quarter of the time

Really? I forget the past rap debates with you, i know we both really like Freeway and that i don't care for Gucci, other than that im drawing a blank. I do respect your opinions regarding hip hop on here, just like i do with Faux, even though him and i probably only see eye to eye about 10 percent of the time ;)

peace,xavier

• cookbook said:
    should i not have enjoyed big doe rehab?

ill take Big Doe over Fishscale any day. i actually think its one of his better albums.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    Wizard of Poetry?
    I loved it.
    Other than More Fish, which is just weak to me, not bad, I don't think he's put out a shit record.

I think we agree on the raps about a quarter of the time, so not sure if you'll like it.
    Also, Wizard is as much an r&b record as a rap one.

Wizard is a very good album.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'll no doubt check it out but am sadly also in the boat that believes the days of him releasing great albums are behind him. I think he's doomed if he sticks with the sound he's known for and doomed if he doesn't so not really sure where he can go from there. There's usually a couple of decent tracks on them anyway (I still love Yolanda's House) and I still find him one of the charismatic rappers around.

I remember when Fishscale came out deej announced that it was the same old shit and got widely rounded on by many on the board including me but revisiting it fairly recently I have to concede that the drop off had begun by then.

• I think Ghostface is one of the most consistent emcees around, i can't get enough of his style. I really enjoy his RnB type stuff, so I enjoyed Ghostdeini Wizard Of Poetry.

I'd love it if him and Doom got around to doing their album.

• i also liked ghostdini, thought it was really cool he used my man skymark's beat on there. starks has such a high likeability index that i could listen to him rap over abba and be happy.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    cookbook said:
    should i not have enjoyed big doe rehab?

I liked that too, but I haven't played it anywhere near as much as the albums that preceded it.

Obviously, being that Ghost has been on Def Jam for a minute, I didn't even know Wizard Of Poetry was out until I saw it in HMV about six months after its release.

• Ghostdini is the only rapper who's ishh I conistantly check for still..

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Junior said:
    I'll no doubt check it out but am sadly also in the boat that believes the days of him releasing great albums are behind him. I think he's doomed if he sticks with the sound he's known for and doomed if he doesn't so not really sure where he can go from there. There's usually a couple of decent tracks on them anyway (I still love Yolanda's House) and I still find him one of the charismatic rappers around.

I remember when Fishscale came out deej announced that it was the same old shit and got widely rounded on by many on the board including me but revisiting it fairly recently I have to concede that the drop off had begun by then.

I agree with deej that, viewed within the arc of his career, Fishscale constitutes part of the extended fall-of period that begins after Supreme Clientele. Where I depart from deej is in his idea that the returns had already so diminished that the album fails--I actually really like it. But I do think that that album marks the point where I had had enough of the particular aesthetic and--during a recent weeding out of my rap collection--I did let go of my copies of the two subsequent albums.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    more of the same

Yup. It's a formula, but one that I still love. As long as the soul pick is a good one, it's got a cracking beat, the story-telling stays entertaining and he keeps coming with the grimey romance - I am happy.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Only gave it a quick listen but the new album sounds quite solid. Very 90's sounding, check a few cuts ("Drama" and "superstar") here.

Anyone recognize the organ sample on "Superstar"? I know it is something I've heard a lot of times, "Lord of the Rings" maybe(?) I never really get tired of Busta cameos.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Roy Ayers "He's A Superstar"

peace,xavier

• "In Tha Park" is a BANGER. It's not for every Strutter though! (BITD raps and Black Thought-related)

• Ghetto is a great posse cut, like some classic Wu, and a really nice beat well executed. I've never noticed how slick U God's voice is.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Ironman - Yes

Supreme Clientele - Classic...Flawless

Bulletproof Wallets - Strawberry,The Juks, The Forest, Ice -- :hard_as_fuck:
    ...The other 12 songs ----- :shitty:

The Pretty Toney Album - Does not age well.....loved it then, can't get through it now

Fishscale - ZzZzzZzzzzzzzzzzz

More Fish - I don't even remember what was on this one

The Big Doe Rehab - Slept-on ... I Rides

Ghostdini: Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City - Half-decent sell out shit

Apollo Kids - ??????????????????

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    edpowers said:
    Ironman - Yes NOPE

Supreme Clientele - Classic...Flawless ALOMOST FLAWLESS

Bulletproof Wallets - Strawberry,The Juks, The Forest, Ice -- :hard_as_fuck:
    ...The other 12 songs ----- :shitty: DIDNT HEAR IT

The Pretty Toney Album - Does not age well.....loved it then, can't get through it now MISSED IT

Fishscale - ZzZzzZzzzzzzzzzzz JOINTS ON THERE

More Fish - I don't even remember what was on this one DONT CARE

The Big Doe Rehab - Slept-on ... I Rides MISSED

Ghostdini: Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City - Half-decent sell out shit JOINTS ON THERE

Apollo Kids - ?????????????????? DONT CARE