Thats my joint! (part one of hopefully many) Smokey Robinson

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
thought I would start a thread series where folks post their favorite tune by a particular artist...dont know why I picked Smokey for the first go 'round, but thought it should start off with a popular artist before we get all obscure and deep with it. Eventually, perhaps folks can post an EmPfree of their faves and we can sort of come up with Strut "best of" comps of certain artists...only can do a youtube right now...but will rip the 45 and upload it tomorrow...so post your favorite Smokey tune:

Comments

• ...but of course

• My favorite out of the first half-dozen strong contenders that came to mind ("Ooh Baby Baby", "Baby, Baby Don't Cry", "Show Me You Can Dance", "Choosey Beggar", "You've Really Got a Hold On Me"):

"More Love"

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I can't embed the youtubes, but my joint is "I'll Try Something New" by the Miracles.

And I know this is not news, but damn, what a phenomenal writer. Perfect circles for decades.

• james said:
    phenomenal writer.
    Yes.

For a long time I avoided the Miracles' catalog because I've just never liked Smokey's voice, but his songs are undeniable. He's a master craftsman.

Mongo_Slade said:
    For a long time I avoided the Miracles' catalog because I've just never liked Smokey's voice
    Yeah, I was the same. When I was coming up, I was all about the entry-level gut-bucket shit--ninety-nine and a half would not do for young james--and always felt that Smokey was kinda simpering. Back then, "Tears Of A Clown" was probably the only thing of his I was ever happy to hear. I think once girls came into the picture, though, things started to slowly but surely turn on their axis. I won't bore folks, but you know how it goes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "More Love" is just such a phenomenal song on so many levels; it inspires a visceral feeling of joy.

In contrast, I think "Ooh Baby" is one of the best slow jams ever written.

I'd also give a nod to "Get Ready," even though the Miracles' version of it is far from definitive; it's still one of the best tunes from Smokey's songwriting catalog.

Along those same lines, I thought he did a bang-up job with "He's My Sunny Boy" (Diano Ross and the Supremes) as well as "Still Water" (Four Tops).

This all said? I'm still taking Stevie in a fight.

• My personal fav

• if i had to pick one, "You Can Depend On Me" is probably my favorite...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    NiteKrawler45 said:
    My personal fav

has all the perfect ingredients.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Can't agree with you all more... And yeah this is a cool concept for a thread. Dude is so unfuckwithable, a true master. Here's some that I thought of...

I know this one is almost cliche but for real it's one of the most incredible songs, like I can never ever stop listening to it. Truly perfection.

Here's a couple more that I just love and are so groovy... Breakbeat related,.

Also, Smokey as the songwriter, lest we forget...

And of course, one of the greatest duets of all time, as featured in one of the greatest videos of all time!

• This right here, is my shit.

• I'm not sure I would classify it as my favorite, but Mickey's Monkey is catchy as fuck.

• It's ALL about Smokey right now (well, it's ALWAYS all about Smokey actually). One of the greatest if not THE greatest soul song writer ever. I'm still discovering (or re-discovering) stuff by him, either his own stuff or joints he wrote for somebody else. Love this one here very much- had the album since forever but never really got into this song until relatively recently.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="" frameborder="0"></iframe>

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ^^^^
    AND I LOVE HER

• getting spins

• getting spins

• hard to choose a favorite, lately it's been this

• When I was coming up, I was all about the entry-level gut-bucket shit--ninety-nine and a half would not do for young james--and always felt that Smokey was kinda simpering. I think once girls came into the picture, though, things started to slowly but surely turn on their axis. I won't bore folks, but you know how it goes.

Replace "Smokey" with "Walter Jackson" in the above passage and you have my story. The younger version of me preferred the gutbucket shit, too, but the Motown acts got a pass. It was Walter J. that had to grow on me, and when he did, he made a hell of an effect.

But this thread is about Smokey, and my contribution is "Doggone Right," a forgotten dusty from '69. Here they are performing said song on The Ed Sullivan Show:

BONUS BEAT: "But Dad, It's Smokey!" Classic commercial from 1979...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN IN MY HEART SINCE I MET YOU

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Grew up on extremely heavy doses of Cruisin' and Being with You. Not at all Strut-lke to cite those 2, but I got no reason to deny.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Grew up on extremely heavy doses of Cruisin' and Being with You. Not at all Strut-lke to cite those 2, but I got no reason to deny.

They're great songs regardless.

HarveyCanal said:
    Cruisin'
    So crucial. That's one of those special ones--like Bobby Gentry's "Ode To Billy Joe," Simply Red's "Holding Back The Years," et al.--that, whenever it comes on, seems to slow the very flow of time. It's warmer, though. Every listen to "Cruisin'" is like a day spent gliding toward the glowing horizon on a golden glacier made of sex and brunch.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    By far my personal favorite: