Fives. Nah...SEVENS.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
1. Taking my 10 year old niece out of school early to do "whatever you want to do, your pick!" She chose lunch at Cracker Barrel, watching Tangled and shopping. One of my favorite memories of elementary school was when my uncle did the same for me. I felt like such a celebrity! My niece was sooooo excited too.

2. My niece is VERY fashion-forward. She makes her own clothes (with her own custom tags!) and has a style unlike any of her classmates, but in a cool, hip way. She told me some of the kids laugh at her clothes but she didn't care because more people like it and have started dressing like her. She said "I hate when other people have the same clothes as me. I don't even like to tell my friends where I shop 'cause then they might find the clothes I have!" She was asking me how I used to dress back in the day and was in awe when I told her I used to wear my overalls backwards a la Kriss Kross and have big ol' polka dot pants "that a rapper named MC Hammer used to wear." She had me show her their videos when we got home. I love that little girl.

3. 'Tis the season for the breakfast ANYTIME MEAL of champions!

4. Straight jacked Dudley Perkins/Madlib's "Momma" beat, but I ain't mad at it. I'm diggin' the chopped & screwed edit at the end of this clip.

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    1. Moving into my own place with no roommates! That to me is the best feeling ever. Grown-up talk.

2. Finishing Culinary School. I am almost there. Finals are kicking my booty, but I ain't mad cause I am flying through them. I has the smarts.

3. Going to Chicago. I miss you, Chicago. I love SF, but Chicago is another world.

4. Freedom. It is wonderful. I suggest it to everyone.

5.THIS

6. Having amazing supportive friends.

7. Soulstrut. I missed you.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Herm said:

3. 'Tis the season for the breakfast ANYTIME MEAL of champions!

Chocolate cereal blows my mind. Yuck! ;)

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Herm said:

My niece is VERY fashion-forward. She makes her own clothes (with her own custom tags!) and has a style unlike any of her classmates, but in a cool, hip way. She told me some of the kids laugh at her clothes but she didn't care because more people like it and have started dressing like her.

Luna?

If I ever had a niece or daughter, I'd spoil (and probably sicken) her with too many glittery things.

• Forgot today is Record Day. This thread is gonna be buried with a quickness! Fives threads have already dipped in popularity. Ah well.

• Almond said:
    Herm said:

My niece is VERY fashion-forward. She makes her own clothes (with her own custom tags!) and has a style unlike any of her classmates, but in a cool, hip way. She told me some of the kids laugh at her clothes but she didn't care because more people like it and have started dressing like her.

Luna?

If I ever had a niece or daughter, I'd spoil (and probably sicken) her with too many glittery things.

Ha ha! She's not nearly as weird as Luna!

Give us some fives, Almond!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    1. Got my 11 year old (step)Son a complete DJ setup for Xmas. He's gonna FLIP. I can't wait to see the look on his face. That's seriously the one thing I'm looking forward to on Christmas day...and I got it all for less than the price of one turntable...BEFORE they stopped making them. 2 1200's for $250, a Stanton SA3 mixer for $50, and a Sony receiver for $30. I already had some NHT speakers laying around so I'll set those up and the turntables came with Ortofons so it's a wrap.

2. Came up on 2 records I was just thinking about...when I bought my kid his mixer the same guy was selling 5 half crate boxes of records for $35 so I picked them up hoping there would be some stuff my son could spin and maybe some stuff in there for me too. It looked good when I sifted through it when I met the guy so I bought them. Got home and really dug through them and both of the Outkast picture discs were in there. I passed on them when I was in England a few years ago and regretted it since.

3. Been getting back into House music pretty heavy lately and by chance met a guy that has a weekly house night and he invites me back to spin every week. Gonna try to get my own night here soon. I missed djing.

4. Doing Christmas at my house this year...for the first time. It's always been at my moms but with us having 3 kids and my mom living an hour away we decided to do it here. And my mom is passing something on to me that's been around forever. A Steiff Santa and reindeer set...moms used to own a toy store back in the day and Steiff was one of the brands she carried so she'd order a piece of this set every year because good lord that shit is expensive. I guess it just feels like the passing of the guard...in a good way.

5. Definitely not last but...my kids. I still trip out that I have a 2 sons AND a daughter. Life is good.

• Herm you sound like a fantastic uncle.

• 1. Getting to spend time with the lady over Christmas break. We live about two hours away but we both have school and jobs so it's been impossible to find any time.

2. Kicking yesterday's ass. Skating through a Spanish final, walking ten minutes to another building to skate through a French final. I shouldn't even have studied, it really was a waste of a weekend.

3. My brother getting accepted into police academy. The police and I don't really get along that well but it's what he's wanted to do since either of us can remember and I'm seriously so damn proud of big bro.

4. My family picking me up on Friday to bring me home to see EVEN MORE FAMILY goddamn man I can't wait.

5. ParkdaleFunk's Colemine Christmas mix. So ill man, thanks.

6. Pall Mall unfiltereds at $5.50 a pop round the corner. Yeah smoking's bad yeah whatever but these things are seriously delicious.

7. Last but not least by any means, pops found a dude who freelances as a Volkswagen mechanic. And for my '70 Beetle this means resurrection! Hell yes!

• 1. Having a son (first child)in March and going to see the 3-D ultrasound this afternoon.

2-7. So long as #1 works out, I'm good.

• selperfuge said:
    Herm you sound like a fantastic uncle.

For real. I'm jealous, though. I can't wait for brotherman to have a little guy/girl so I can do the same thing. In the meantime I guess I'll just have to keep treating little cousins to school day lunch.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Herm said:

4. Straight jacked Dudley Perkins/Madlib's "Momma" beat, but I ain't mad at it. I'm diggin' the chopped & screwed edit at the end of this clip.

RIP to her youtube channel
    Stones Throw is gonna crucify her ass

• keithvanhorn said:
    1. Having a son (first child)in March and going to see the 3-D ultrasound this afternoon.

2-7. So long as #1 works out, I'm good.

YO!!! another phillies fan!!!!
    congrats c-s--

herm, do you have to ask parental permission before you go pick up your niece at school? complete surprise for her?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    elise said:
    1. Moving into my own place with no roommates! That to me is the best feeling ever. Grown-up talk.

2. Finishing Culinary School. I am almost there. Finals are kicking my booty, but I ain't mad cause I am flying through them. I has the smarts.

Congrats on these two! Now that you've got your own place, you'll never go back to having roommates.

1. 45 Session in Oakland on Saturday. This is by far the most fun I have DJing these days. Everybody comes out for all the right reasons (i.e. to hear good music and dance to it, regardless of its hit status), and DJs get such creative freedom as a result. It's fantastic.

2. Got my double of Darondo's "Didn't I" for $8. Best in-the-field score I've had in a minute.

3. My girl freakin' rocks.

4. Vanilla apple cider pork tenderloin with pears.

5. My closest friends are enjoying much-deserved successes, and that makes me very happy.

6. Music makes me high (no Lost Boyz).

7. Christmas bonus check tomorrow--an unexpected treat indeed.

• most of my 7s are really boring (for other people) or reeeealllly not pg, so im just gonna drop a couple

1.Yay Cliff LEe is back in Philly!!!
    2.gonna see a screening of True Grit tomorrow
    3.i feel loved!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    1. Being able to sell records & production full time now. (I can roll out of bed and start working.)

2. Having my daughter FINALLY say she wants to learn how to DJ. I am, right now, setting up my spare turntables so she can start gettin' down.

3. Having my very sick father around for this holiday season. (We usually always have a death around Christmas and I'm praying to God this year comes & goes with no heartache.)

4. Having such a wonderful & supportive wife.

5. Giving up drinking. (I was up to at least a 6 pack & a pint of Jack per day for about 15 yrs. That shit had to end before I did.)

6. FINALLY GETTING MY RECORDS IN ORDER!!!

7. Finding Wayne McGhie & Sounds of Joy LP & Roy Porter "Jessica" both at a flea market for $2. (Not at the same time but from the same dude.)

• tripledouble said:
    most of my 7s are really boring (for other people) or reeeealllly not pg, so im just gonna drop a couple

1.Yay Cliff LEe is back in Philly!!!
    2.gonna see a screening of True Grit tomorrow
    3.i feel loved

reeeealllly not pg

4. Lisa
    5. Angela
    6. Pamela
    7. Renee
    ;-)

• tripledouble said:

herm, do you have to ask parental permission before you go pick up your niece at school? complete surprise for her?

I really wanted it to be a surprise, but my sister told my niece the night before. She also called the school to let them know I'd be picking her up early. They ID'd me and had me sign her out. They wouldn't have let me take her without those three things, which is good.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    elise said:

Congrats on these two! Now that you've got your own place, you'll never go back to having roommates.

Thanks! I am loving it so far and you're right--I will never go back.

Recipe? Sounds easy, but awesome!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    selperfuge said:
    Herm you sound like a fantastic uncle.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1. Spent the weekend with my daughter... went to an arts fair at her school on Saturday and a Lady Longhorns game on Sunday...she's really the absolute best!

2. Destiny by Design kids had their semester-end performance last Wednesday...our best semester yet!

3. I guess having the problem of women who want to spend more time with me than I want to spend with them isn't really that bad of a problem...especially when they are both hot and horny.

4. Got a nice long break from work coming up in about a week!

5. Prepaing to move into a new apartment come the end of the month. Secured movers as part of the lease signing, so it shouldn't even be that much work on my end. And even better, I won't have to ask any of my slacker friends for help.

6. New and incredible greenery connection...hope it lasts.

7. 2Dat!

elise said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Recipe? Sounds easy, but awesome!

It is both easy and awesome! I can pass along the recipe when I get home from work tonight.

• Son born in February, 2 months early and only 2 lbs. 13 oz. is now almost 20 lbs, almost walking, almost talking, always smiling.
    Nothing else matters.

sabadabada said:
    Son born in February, 2 months early and only 2 lbs. 13 oz. is now almost 20 lbs, almost walking, almost talking, always smiling.
    Nothing else matters.

That is great. Glad to hear he's healthy and growing.

• elise said:
    1. Moving into my own place with no roommates! That to me is the best feeling ever. Grown-up talk..

ooh, what neighborhood? one bedroom or studio?

i moved in with boyfriend during summer and i like having my own space to decorate vs the mish mash of roommates' collective furniture & housewares

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    edith head said:
    elise said:
    1. Moving into my own place with no roommates! That to me is the best feeling ever. Grown-up talk..

i moved in with boyfriend during summer and i like having my own space to decorate vs the mish mash of roommates' collective furniture & housewares

I got a studio in the 'Loin. At first I was a little worried that I would hate it, but I am really growing to love it everyday. And, I moved from Cole Valley. Huge difference!

Just watched this video recently...love it.

The Tenderloin Project from Sean Desmond on Vimeo.

I think I have hit a point in my life where I just like to have nice things and less stress; even if that means working more to achieve that peace. Also, ending a long-term relationship recently has been enough stress on it's own. I feel all growns up and stuff.

You stay in SF, right?

• elise said:
    edith head said:
    elise said:

I got a studio in the 'Loin. At first I was a little worried that I would hate it, but I am really growing to love it everyday. And, I moved from Cole Valley. Huge difference!

Just watched this video recently...love it.

The Tenderloin Project from Sean Desmond on Vimeo.

I think I have hit a point in my life where I just like to have nice things and less stress; even if that means working more to achieve that peace. Also, ending a long-term relationship recently has been enough stress on it's own. I feel all growns up and stuff.

You stay in SF, right?

I know a few people who lived in the "Tender-Nob" area (pause) and they loved it. There's lots of great vietnamese restaurants around there.

Yep, I live in an arts & crafts style flat in the mission district.

• edith head said:
    "Tender-Nob"

you said "Tender-Nob".

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    1. The last 5 months has been the most difficult time in my life I've ever dealt with. It's crazy to have so many different types of emotions from many different directions/bad situations flowing through you 24/7. Despite all of these messes and problems I'm(we are) dealing with, I really can't complain because friends and family have been key. Staying positive has been key.

2. Like Elise, having your own place is incredibly awesome. I've never not had a room mate of some sort until these past couple months and its been excellent.

3. Coming up on good records. Yes, this is a common one. But, it doesn't happen around here too often so it's quite exciting.

4. Again, friends. This is the first time in nearly 4 years where most all of my closest friends have/will be around to see each other. Just in the past two months and the next few I'll have seen and spent time with these people. Very excited!

5. Despite some rough times in the past few months, I've got a lot to look forward to. I'm at a good place right now where I can make just about any decision I want and I'm going to do it.

6. It's always good to have goals.

7. Record Day

I'm jealous of y'all with youngins to hang around with.

• Hooray for youngins! Keep that noggin warm.

• sabadabada said:
    edith head said:
    "Tender-Nob"

you said "Tender-Nob".

Yep, which is why i followed it with a pasue