Is disco back in?

13»

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    djdaze said:

love it.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    yeah...dude's being touted as the UK Moodymann...I definitely ride.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    im still stumped as to why 99% of these new releases are called "edits".
    how are they edits when they have samples, fx, filters, separate drum tracks and so on..... thats saying that every house track ever sampled is an edit. daft punk, maw, todd terry, moodymann and a million others are just edits, ?
    same for hip hop... atcq award tour inst...an edit, etc etc.
    worked up tracks with samples = not edits at all.

Agreed. Remix is probably a better word for most cases.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    I m a little bit bothered by this whole "new disco" thing - a lot of the producers/djs have little to no idea of real disco, and on some of my gigs i have the feeling people dont really see it as "disco" at all - its just an easier variant of house with a phat enough kick and lots of brakes to make the average dancefloor work. Some guys are putting a kickdrum under a disco track, correct the timing in ableton and then sell it as "their track".
    Really hate to see when some people label stuff like trus`me or myself (MCDE) as "nu disco" or "edits", just because we might use a sample.

Oh and ..tell me a single record that captured the feeling/idea of "new" disco better Metro Area`s LP.
    That was 9 years ago.

• word, pretty much no one can fox with Morgan and Darshan's output. But then again i'm not sure Metro Area can really be classed as even "disco" right? The genius of their work is that its far too imaginative to be constrained by a tag like that. take "nerves / proton candy" for example. madness.

the "nudisco" tag does annoy me as do the vast majority of pretty uninspired "edits" that people do, but saying that you can still find some very functional dancefloor tools amongst that mob. like Prince Language.

i like the Tirk boys, obv i am biased, but check emperor machine and all that stuff out.

oh and dan i don't think you are "nudisco" at all and neither is trusme your both on some classic chicago / detroit revivalism steez. nuhouse (i'm joking.)

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    word, pretty much no one can fox with Morgan and Darshan's output. But then again i'm not sure Metro Area can really be classed as even "disco" right? The genius of their work is that its far too imaginative to be constrained by a tag like that. take "nerves / proton candy" for example. madness.

the "nudisco" tag does annoy me as do the vast majority of pretty uninspired "edits" that people do, but saying that you can still find some very functional dancefloor tools amongst that mob. like Prince Language.

i like the Tirk boys, obv i am biased, but check emperor machine and all that stuff out.

oh and dan i don't think you are "nudisco" at all and neither is trusme your both on some classic chicago / detroit revivalism steez. nuhouse (i'm joking.)

morgan geist is one of the few cats in the scene who can really make a credible song that crosses over to the mainstream while its still just cool as f***. Talking about Storm Queen here, amazing song.
    "Coma Cat" on the other hand, THE "nu-disco" thing this year, i dont know. Feels kinda.. too ibiza for me.

• i hear that. its like how funky is to broken beat, take the rhythm template and wash all the complicated bits out for functionality, making it friendly for them orrible compilations like hedcandy. cept funky is actually good.

re: metro, since we're on the subject, i love kelly polar. strings master. and he's able to be pop whilst being edgy as well.

i thought it was cool you got to remix TCoy - Carino, that's a top ten house record of all time for me. hacienda bizness.

• inVrs said:
    myself (MCDE) as "nu disco" or "edits", just because we might use a sample.

huh? you're the MCDE dude?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    inVrs said:

yes sir.

inVrs said:
    I m a little bit bothered by this whole "new disco" thing - a lot of the producers/djs have little to no idea of real disco, and on some of my gigs i have the feeling people dont really see it as "disco" at all - its just an easier variant of house with a phat enough kick and lots of brakes to make the average dancefloor work. Some guys are putting a kickdrum under a disco track, correct the timing in ableton and then sell it as "their track".
    Really hate to see when some people label stuff like trus`me or myself (MCDE) as "nu disco" or "edits", just because we might use a sample.

Oh and ..tell me a single record that captured the feeling/idea of "new" disco better Metro Area`s LP.
    That was 9 years ago.

See that's my problem with the label of "NuDisco" vs. what I feel really should hold the title of that genre. A LOT of the stuff that's marked as NuDisco is just house music with nothing very disco to it. But then I hear stuff from particular producers and you just know they have the vibe of the side of disco that really influenced house music and they're making music that's mostly a modern version of that. I'd definitely say that people like you and Trus'me keep that vibe going so in my private mind genre of "nudisco" you two fall in there for sure.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    inVrs said:

That was 9 years ago.

Exactly.

elise said:
    inVrs said:

That was 9 years ago.

Exactly.

That new Storm Queen project is really nice.

• inVrs said:
    Grandfather said:
    inVrs said:

yes sir.
    oh, awesome! A while back someone posted some of your stuff in a house music thread, it was the only one i still check for

• inVrs said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    word, pretty much no one can fox with Morgan and Darshan's output. But then again i'm not sure Metro Area can really be classed as even "disco" right? The genius of their work is that its far too imaginative to be constrained by a tag like that. take "nerves / proton candy" for example. madness.

morgan geist is one of the few cats in the scene who can really make a credible song that crosses over to the mainstream while its still just cool as f***. Talking about Storm Queen here, amazing song.
    "Coma Cat" on the other hand, THE "nu-disco" thing this year, i dont know. Feels kinda.. too ibiza for me.

i like coma cat regardless of what it may invoke ibiza in some...its good, but not new...musically its all been done... and its not even disco its 80s synth driven more boogie.... go listen to anthony and the camp if you want to hear the song that coma cat rips off. ala bob sinclair world hold on = frankie knuckles whistle song.

i call the mcde stuff , good music... maybe soulful techno. loving that its sample based. its music i like to bump. too many names/genres out there.
    btw , whats the lastest.... i need some new mcde in my life, also might be staying in berlin in the summer.

• 1. Nu Disco, ideally wouldnt it make for easy mixes between old disco and nu disco?
    2.. Is this Nu Disco? http://hypem.com/track/454100/Junior+Senior+-+Shake+Your+Coconuts+DFA+Remix+
    I dig that song and a lot of the DFA remixes from that same remix album

• elise said:
    djdaze said:

love it.

this being the deepest thing trusme has sampled, aside from the mothers day track on the last lp he did.... which was mine..it was supposed to be for another project..i got no credit. thanks bud !
    people went goo goo gaa gaa for that tom brown sample track...imo that was boring and had already been flipped.
    dig deeper for samples, or if your gonna use a well known sample.... flip that shit.

RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    elise said:
    djdaze said:

love it.

this being the deepest thing trusme has sampled, aside from the mothers day track on the last lp he did.... which was mine..it was supposed to be for another project..i got no credit. thanks bud !
    people went goo goo gaa gaa for that tom brown sample track...imo that was boring and had already been flipped.
    dig deeper for samples, or if your gonna use a well known sample.... flip that shit.
    '

True that.

As far as people flipping shit one of my faves right now is Go Go Bizkitt! although he's not really on the disco side of things, more of a jackin/French house type vibe. But as far as what you mean about flipping shit, he flips it so crazy.

this is one of my favorite remakes he did

Donna Summer-Spring Affair (Go Go Bizkitt! Remix) by Go Go Bizkitt!

speaking of flipping shit...I really REALLY hope you're gonna let that Slave edit you did go tomorrow for record day. PLEEEEEASE. haha

• I probably shouldn't even post this simple flip but it's got a groove to it.

Gun Runnin' by Me

• djdaze said:
    speaking of flipping shit...I really REALLY hope you're gonna let that Slave edit you did go tomorrow for record day. PLEEEEEASE. haha

thanks... but id rather just send it to you...i dont really want to post on a forum that can be accessed by just anybody, waiting for a green light on a legit vinyl release.
    hit me with your email.

• the go go biskit thing is tight, peep the blackbuster lp for a nice cover of spring affair.

RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    djdaze said:

thanks... but id rather just send it to you...i dont really want to post on a forum that can be accessed by just anybody, waiting for a green light on a legit vinyl release.
    hit me with your email.

PM sent

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    elise said:
    djdaze said:

love it.

i was not going to say it.. but my thoughts exactly.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    inVrs said:
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    elise said:
    djdaze said:

love it.

i was not going to say it.. but my thoughts exactly.

oof!