Is disco back in?

Comments

• probably one of my favorite styles to play....always well received when I spin a set of disco....

• Loose Joints is probably like 200 for 200 in the setting shit off olympics.

word word word!!! i've been waiting for my deep house friends to notice me playing west end and arthur russell joints at the house parties for a while (i've been off and on drum and bass/80's, soul,funk,disco for years).

anyone try to write some of that thick old disco with samplers/software? tough to pull of the real shit because it is ALWAYS lanky and shifty as far as bpm goes.

LOVE ME SOME DISCO! Is it all over my face?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i fox with this site:
    http://www.ebonycuts.com/
    (shout to francislai)

• BUMP

• I was so earnest and polite. What's happened to me?

Is this the ghost of Saba Past?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Chappuh said:
    Is it all over my face?

Talk about a phrase that sets it the F**K off in Chicago.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    every scrawny white dude with soft hands and a mustache makes a b-line for the disco section

Anyone fuxin with any Nu-Disco?

I've been spinning a bit of it lately...Bottin, Drop Out City Rockers, Gay Marvine, Space Ranger, MAM, Trus'me etc.

Possum Tom said:
    every scrawny white dude with soft hands and a mustache makes a b-line for the disco section

you have a mustache now?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    djdaze said:
    Possum Tom said:

you have a mustache now?

Crazypoprock can grow a mustache now?

SportCasual said:
    djdaze said:
    Possum Tom said:

you have a mustache now?

Hermie isn't white

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    djdaze said:
    SportCasual said:
    djdaze said:
    Possum Tom said:

you have a mustache now?

Hermie isn't white

Have you two been roll-playing again?

• djdaze said:

I've been spinning a bit of it lately...Bottin, Drop Out City Rockers, Gay Marvine, Space Ranger, MAM, Trus'me etc.

been jammin to a lot of JD73 recently...

a local kid put this out this summer, it gets played a good amount here. kinda nu-disco:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    djdaze said:

a local kid put this out this summer, it gets played a good amount here. kinda nu-disco:

Sounds like house with a Brothers Johnson sample, not really Nu-Disco. Not dissing just saying.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ^^^^^^ Without having heard the tune, I can chime in to say that most of the people I have heard throw around the term "nu disco" really weren't huge fans of house or disco in the first place. A lot of them seem like techno or more clubby-style dance guys and "nu disco" is simply a way of backing into the genre. [/2 cents]

^^^^^^ Without having heard the tune, I can chime in to say that most of the people I have heard throw around the term "nu disco" really weren't huge fans of house or disco in the first place. A lot of them seem like techno or more clubby-style dance guys and "nu disco" is simply a way of backing into the genre. [/2 cents]

yeah but then you dig deep into the genre and see how wrong that statement is. I mean that's like saying house isn't disco when all you're listening to is trance or some bullshit. There's a lot of crap touting itself as "Nu-Disco" but there's a lot of good shit out there that really is NEW Disco sounding thus giving the name of the genre a little credibility.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

yeah but then you dig deep into the genre and see how wrong that statement is. I mean that's like saying house isn't disco when all you're listening to is trance or some bullshit. There's a lot of crap touting itself as "Nu-Disco" but there's a lot of good shit out there that really is NEW Disco sounding thus giving the name of the genre a little credibility.

Yeah, I am not trying to criticize or even nit-pick really, just saying you might get someone who is more of a trance guy to come out to a night touting "nu disco" when they never really went to disco nights that have been going on for years.

Me personally, I don't really go out and all anymore, so I guess I shouldn't be taking crap ;)

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

• ^^^^^^ Without having heard the tune, I can chime in to say that most of the people I have heard throw around the term "nu disco" really weren't huge fans of house or disco in the first place. A lot of them seem like techno or more clubby-style dance guys and "nu disco" is simply a way of backing into the genre. [/2 cents]

since i posted the vid above, i just wanna say that although i don't listen to that much house, i do listen to a lot of disco, and don't really pay much attention to techno or club-style dance at all. i just use nu-disco to refer to anything that sounds disco-y to me but was made in the last decade or so.

actually, i usually call the stuff aughts-disco in my private mind garden.

• For the DISCO heads. Log on and vote for the best mix. http://www.bringtheheat.com/bthforum/forum/default.asp

• Cosmo said:
    willie_fugal said:
    djdaze said:

Sounds like house with a Brothers Johnson sample, not really Nu-Disco. Not dissing just saying.

some of this sound.... a bit too quirky/justice sounding for me.

• imo this is more in step with nu disco. so many sub genres under the umbrella of dance music... i cant keep up.
    its either just good or bad to me... my sets are usually grouped by mood... so a song like this, i could easily go into a record on prelude, or into mcde or rainer truby...which i guess is considered techno to some.

• im still stumped as to why 99% of these new releases are called "edits".
    how are they edits when they have samples, fx, filters, separate drum tracks and so on..... thats saying that every house track ever sampled is an edit. daft punk, maw, todd terry, moodymann and a million others are just edits, ?
    same for hip hop... atcq award tour inst...an edit, etc etc.
    worked up tracks with samples = not edits at all.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts