best diggin city stateside?!

2»

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    oh yeah, Bootsey wouldn't sell you a spoken word album because 'it wasn't in the book' or something

• bass_fever said:
    shawnald_reagan said:
    Manduro3000 said:
    Breez said:
    Cincinnati, Ohio and Indianapolis, Indiana
    or
    Conway, Arkansas and Twitty, Texas

Correction... Indianapolis, Indiana is one of the WORST places to dig for records. The record stores there have all closed down and started selling on ebay... and I mean ALL the stores. And unless you actually live there and have the time to hit up people's homes and antique stores on a regular basis you will mostly leave empty handed. I lived there for 7 years and seen it downhill with my own eyes. Cincinnati, OH and St. Louis, MO are both better locations to look for records.

Wrong. Me and bass fever just scooped you. There are records everywhere.

There's records, just a large number of diggers per capita...and yes, you have to be on the consistent flea market, antique, thrift steez to find anything. The fruitful days of Naptown digging are long gone.

I will be in the Nap for Christmas, you fellers should sell me some records.
    Shawn you still selling out of Ex-Fun House?

• MIAMI! LOL

You might try the record show in Ft. Lauderdale but that is about it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    bass_fever said:
    shawnald_reagan said:
    Manduro3000 said:
    Breez said:
    or

Correction... Indianapolis, Indiana is one of the WORST places to dig for records. The record stores there have all closed down and started selling on ebay... and I mean ALL the stores. And unless you actually live there and have the time to hit up people's homes and antique stores on a regular basis you will mostly leave empty handed. I lived there for 7 years and seen it downhill with my own eyes. Cincinnati, OH and St. Louis, MO are both better locations to look for records.

There's records, just a large number of diggers per capita...and yes, you have to be on the consistent flea market, antique, thrift steez to find anything. The fruitful days of Naptown digging are long gone.

Would you say that you've given up cuz the Nap is dug out? Har!

• cookbook said:
    RIP Missing Link
    Rip Missing Link, Funhouse, World, etc....

• Manduro3000 said:
    cookbook said:
    RIP Missing Link
    Rip Missing Link, Funhouse, World, etc....

Rockin' Billy's, Howard's Hard To Find, etc...

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    If you make it to California & San Diego-PM me-Can hook you up w/some private dealers like myself & a few others

• DJ_Enki said:
    Would you say that you've given up cuz the Nap is dug out? Har!

Indy is not dug out, but you have to really, really dig deep which is ok if your a resident and have to time to put in the work. But if you are from out of town just passing through on a trip you really won't find anything simply because there are no real stores there anymore and the whole city full of diggers. Hell half the stores probably closed just because I moved out of state. ;)

• esskay said:
    If you make it to California & San Diego-PM me-Can hook you up w/some private dealers like myself & a few others

WILL be there, and WILL deffo hit u up

peace

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Portland OR has more stores per capita than any other city I think.

This does not make it the best.
    In fact, because it has so many stores, and customers, the bins are often bare.

Portland had something like 4 or 5 stores open in 2010, Ours being one of them.

I wouldn't say the bins are bare though, certainly not at Record Stores....
    But Thrifts and Such for sure. You still never know and its always worth a shot.

A Seattle to L.A. Road trip is a good bet. We did it a few years ago and it was very fruitful.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Seattle has really surprised me since I have been here. I have been to no less than 11 record stores and keep coming up with interesting finds. A lot of so called common records that I have never seen before in good shape for reasonable prices. The prices on everything are not thrift prices, but not going to ether you either.

Have fun mang!

• anyone wanna give up the goods or drop some essential places to dig?

yes, we all know about rasputins, amoeba etc ;)

PM me would be very well received ! peace

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Make sure you hit San Diego for a day-Shops are not good but myself & 2 other decent private dealers-plus best Mexican food in the world almost!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    JustAlice said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Portland OR has more stores per capita than any other city I think.

This does not make it the best.
    In fact, because it has so many stores, and customers, the bins are often bare.

Portland had something like 4 or 5 stores open in 2010, Ours being one of them.

I wouldn't say the bins are bare though, certainly not at Record Stores....
    But Thrifts and Such for sure. You still never know and its always worth a shot.

A Seattle to L.A. Road trip is a good bet. We did it a few years ago and it was very fruitful.

Cosign.

If you are looking for dollar bins with disco and boogie records in good condition you can do no better than JustAlice's .99c store.

I can only think of 3 new record stores, .99c, Hall of Records, and the one on N Killingsworth.
    What am I missing?

• LaserWolf said:

If you are looking for dollar bins with disco and boogie records in good condition you can do no better than JustAlice's .99c store.

I can only think of 3 new record stores, .99c, Hall of Records, and the one on N Killingsworth.
    What am I missing?

sounds dope!

peace to all for the info!! trip is like dis:

*from Aukland,NZ (terrible for digging!!!!)3jan - san fran
    *road it to LA pickin up on da way
    *LA fly to Portland
    *fly back to Tokyo 27jan

• If there is anyway you could swing driving from LA to Portland rather than flying I strongly recommend you do it - one of the best drives in the world.

• for real man, extend that trip, fuck a record store and get to the northwest red woods for a couple days! mecca!

• you know it's been my life long dream to drive from san diego all the way up to vancouver. maybe a two month amble. don't think i'll be worrying about records on that one.

• Garcia_Vega said:
    bass_fever said:
    shawnald_reagan said:
    Manduro3000 said:
    Breez said:
    or

I will be in the Nap for Christmas, you fellers should sell me some records.
    Shawn you still selling out of Ex-Fun House?

Sorry R, I quit the record store a couple years ago. That place is still there. Records are 'ehhh"
    But I'm now working in a local brewery so you should come through and I'll pour you a beer:
    http://www.sunkingbrewing.com/