Triboro Bridge=RFK Bridge

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
i mean i still call it the Triboro. no way i'm gonna be like "hey so take the Ed Koch Bridge"

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/nyc/queensboro-bridge-to-be-renamed-for-ed-koch-20101209

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    You take cabs to Queens?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    You take cabs to Queens?

no. i'm just saying. i rarely go to Queens.

• AT&T park will always be PacBell. 3Com or whatever it's called will always be Candlestick.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    AT&T park will always be PacBell. 3Com or whatever it's called will always be Candlestick.

Thank you.

Here in Austin, they've been trying to get us to call Town Lake...Lady Bird Lake, no can do.

• and absolutely NO disrespect to the man, but Cesar Chavez is still Army Street to me. I can't help it.

• NOPA = Western Addition. Please miss me with this NOPA nonsense.

• DB_Cooper said:
    You take cabs to Queens?

Got to get to the airport somehow.

Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    You take cabs to Queens?

Touche, salesman.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    *This* is what Kock has been shilling for since 9/11? He turned into a grumpy rightwing dickrider for his name on the ugliest bridge in Manhattan? I mean, you know he's been asked about it and said yes.

DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    You take cabs to Queens?

Touche, salesman.

the M60 bus

behemoth said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    You take cabs to Queens?

Touche, salesman.

the M60 bus

AKA the bus that never comes at rush hour.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Back in my art trucking days I used the Triboro/Koch Records Bridge all the time.

I tried to ride my bike from the BX and got stopped by police.

• Options
    behemoth said:
    i mean i still call it the Triboro. no way i'm gonna be like "hey so take the Ed Koch Bridge"

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/nyc/queensboro-bridge-to-be-renamed-for-ed-koch-20101209

Do you normally call it the Queensboro or the 59th Street Bridge? I always called it the 59th Street.

b/w

I Still Call It Shea.

Sween said:
    behemoth said:

Do you normally call it the Queensboro or the 59th Street Bridge? I always called it the 59th Street.

b/w

I Still Call It Shea.

Fiiddy-Ninef street bridge to Shea.

In Manhatt - take the 59th. In Queens - take the QBoro.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    NOPA = Western Addition. Please miss me with this NOPA nonsense.

North of Polk Avenue? Are you serious?

That said I find it funny that one would take a stance on whether the Giants' Stadium is named after one soulless telecomm corp or another. You know they should have come correct and just named that sucker Willie Mays Stadium.

batmon said:
    Sween said:
    behemoth said:

b/w

I Still Call It Shea.

its always the 59th St bridge to me. my friend and I were saying they should pick a NYer's name at random to rename the bridge. like the Tia Tamaraz Bridge or the Rabbi Wertzberger Bridge

• mannybolone said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    NOPA = Western Addition. Please miss me with this NOPA nonsense.

North of Polk Avenue? Are you serious?

That said I find it funny that one would take a stance on whether the Giants' Stadium is named after one soulless telecomm corp or another. You know they should have come correct and just named that sucker Willie Mays Stadium.

let me be clear: My preference for "Candlestick" is not on equal footing with my preference for "PacBell." It was just another example of a namechange I can't get with, for whatever reason.

PacBell has been called variously PacBell, ATT and SBC. I agree there's no real principled distinction to be drawn between these corporations (in contrast to the various name changes they've tried to foist on Candlestick, which will never stick as a matter of geographic pride), and the stadium is both relatively new AND in a "new" area (China Basin was sort of undeveloped until the last 15-20 years), so there was no real geographically/historically significant name being supplanted.. Still, for whatever reason, no true Giants fans I know call it anything other than PacBell.

NOPA is "north of the panhandle" or some isht. I think it's btwn Fell and Geary north/south, and bordered to the East by Divisadero (not sure where it ends going West). basically the eastern half of Western Addition.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    batmon said:
    Sween said:
    behemoth said:

b/w

I Still Call It Shea.

I grew up in Queens and it was always the 59th.

I still call the Jackie Robinson Parkway the Interboro. No disrespect to the man, but it just doesn't sound right.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    asstro said:

I still call the Jackie Robinson Parkway the Interboro. No disrespect to the man, but it just doesn't sound right.

ha, that sign telling you about the rename will be there forever. Since I don't commute by car this is the most useless road in NY for me. It dumps you into the middle of the slowest moving traffic in Brooklyn. It's got some cool views though. And I call it the Jackie Robinson (moved here in 98)

So, Van Wick or Van Wike?

• Options
    SportCasual said:
    asstro said:

ha, that sign telling you about the rename will be there forever. Since I don't commute by car this is the most useless road in NY for me. It dumps you into the middle of the slowest moving traffic in Brooklyn. It's got some cool views though. And I call it the Jackie Robinson (moved here in 98)

Wick. I've never heard anyone in my life say it the other way except for young eager traffic reporters who aren't originally from here. I work a couple blocks from it, right off Liberty, I should make a video of me pronouncing it Wike and seeing the reactions I get.

The Interboro is a death trap in the rain. I think I found a use for it on three occasions in 18 years of driving, each time it was a white knuckle journey.

Wonder who the BQE will eventually be named for?

• my dads warehouse in brooklyn was south and slightly west of atlantic avenue in the early 80's and he thought he was a real pioneer over there at the time. late in that decade it became referred to as Cobble Hill and now still is, but i still think of it as my dads office where all thats there is the one good candy store is that has whistle pops.

also in philly kelly drive is still the east river drive.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Sween said:

Wick. I've never heard anyone in my life say it the other way except for young eager traffic reporters who aren't originally from here. I work a couple blocks from it, right off Liberty, I should make a video of me pronouncing it Wike and seeing the reactions I get.

Exactly! I recently saw a young eager NY1 traffic reporter break it down for the people that she had spoken to the van Wyck family that past weekend in the Hamptons and they were miffed that the whole of NYC pronounces their name wrong.

Roosevelt Ave will be called Roosy-belt in 20 years time. Can't fight Demographics.

SportCasual said:
    Sween said:

Exactly! I recently saw a young eager NY1 traffic reporter break it down for the people that she had spoken to the van Wyck family that past weekend in the Hamptons and they were miffed that the whole of NYC pronounces their name wrong.

Roosevelt Ave will be called Roosy-belt in 20 years time. Can't fight Demographics.

You Brooklynites should check out the 1970 Beau Bridges vehicle
    The Landlord, in which the trust-funded Bridges purchases a brownstone in the then-grimy Park Slope. Quite a lot has changed in the last 40 years.

Sween said:
    SportCasual said:
    asstro said:

The Interboro is a death trap in the rain. I think I found a use for it on three occasions in 18 years of driving, each time it was a white knuckle journey.

Van Wick.

Brooklyn-Queens Expressway - Bloomberg Expressway?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    +1 on Van Wick. I live near the Jackie Robinson/Interboro so I'm on there all the time unfortunately, scariest road in NYC IMO.

My grandmother still refers to JFK as Idlewild Airport sometimes. She's old school like that.

• Options
    asstro said:
    +1 on Van Wick. I live near the Jackie Robinson/Interboro so I'm on there all the time unfortunately, scariest road in NYC IMO.

My grandmother still refers to JFK as Idlewild Airport sometimes. She's old school like that.

"I Still Call It Idlewild". Someone could sell a grip of those for the silver set.

I still remember the first time I drove on the Interboro, I was going to meet up with a girl I met who lived in East New York. She was giving me directions (this was before GPS) and mentioned the Interboro parkway, I said to her "you serious? I don't know anyone who's ever driven on that, this should be fun". I was on the Grand Central about to make the move, feeling like the Lewis and Clark of Long Island. All of a sudden I felt like I was in a video game, like Spy Hunter or something but with better graphics. The shoulder disappeared and was replaced by what looked like a 40 foot cobblestone wall, there were suddenly only two lanes, oncoming traffic is separated by an open jersey barrier so every headlight is in your eyes, and EVERYONE was racing each other trying to take advantage of that rare moment in time that there wasn't a Mad Maxish accident backing up traffic for miles.

The other two times I drove on it I sat in traffic because of accidents.

• Options
    batmon said:
    Sween said:
    SportCasual said:
    asstro said:

Van Wick.

Brooklyn-Queens Expressway - Bloomberg Expressway?

Oh lord. I can see it being named after Giuliani before Bloomberg, I think he was from Brooklyn while Bloomberg is from Boston. Bloomberg's supposedly a subway guy too, he should slap his name on the 2nd Ave line.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Speaking of crazy drives - the FDR from 14th to 96th is one of the funnest drives IN THE WORLD. Shit has moguls, and sometimes you are bobbing up and down at water level, then the lanes do that stacking thing. IT'S FUCKING AWESOME! It's like Out Run with much narrower lanes.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Sween said:

Oy vey.

If Billionaireberg took the change from down the back of his couch and used it to pay down the state deficit, I would be OK with naming every single bridge after him.