How America Will Collapse by 2025 (Reynaldo-bait)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/12/06/america_collapse_2025

:balla: :dead: :game_over: :micro: :zooted:

DISCUSS

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    It's all cool JP. The US is going to be the first society to go totally cyber. We won't need cars in the future, just broadband access and enough Simoleons to pay for a good lookin avatar.

Youtube search for "tent city" is maybe a glimpse at the future of suburbia for non property owners?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One man's nightmare is another man's wet dream.

• Rockadelic said:

Also, dude, "Chinaman" is not the preferred nomenclature

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

shut the f%ck up Jonny!!

• tripledouble said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

shut the f%ck up Jonny!!

These aren't the people that Sabadabada would like to still be building our railroads!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    America is not a country, but a corporation, the Virginia Company. It has already gone bankrupt. Cool thing is though, is that we aren't even shareholders. So, just sweep these quacks out of the way, with their pretend money and all, and let's form us a country already.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    That's a pretty gigantic leap of faith, Harvey. UFOs will land in Yankee Stadium before that happens. So we are talking less than 50% probability ;)

This guy http://kunstler.com/blog/ has a blog called Clusterfuck Nation. It's a great read for imagining a post-America USA. However, he's been predicting a crash for so long that he's had to revise it to slow motion train wreck that will keep some people in loafers and SUVs while more and more people are pushed closer to subsistence level existence. Meaning, there will be no revolution or mass unrest.

He also talks about farming as a solution, but as history tells us, farming sucks if you don't own land, and given the choice people will migrate en masse to the big cities.

IMO, now is a great time to revisit movies like Bladerunner, Total Recall, 1984. Radical Postmodern Dystopia related.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    page not found????

• hobo_d said:
    page not found????

IT'S ALREADY BEGINNING.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    haha..back up now

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    On Tuesday, when the Republican Party and its Tea Party chump-proxies re-conquer the sin-drenched bizarro universe of the US congress, they'll have to re-assume ownership of the stickiest web of frauds and swindles ever run in human history - and chances are the victory will blow up in their supernaturally suntanned, Botox-smoothed faces.
    But don't cry for John Boehner, Barack Obama.
    The President and his Democrats may have inherited this clusterfuck from the feckless George Bush but they flubbed every chance to mitigate any part of it, ranging from their failure to restore the rule of law in banking (by prosecuting the executives of major banks who oversaw the systematic swindle), to mis-directing our dwindling resources toward ends (such as "shovel-ready" new super-highways) that won't promote a credible future for this society, to misleading the public in the fantasy that alt-energy will offset the disruptions of peak oil (and allow us to keep running suburbia, the US Military, and WalMart by other means).
    It's really too late for both parties. They're unreformable. They've squandered their legitimacy just as the US enters the fat heart of the long emergency. Neither of them have a plan, or even a single idea that isn't a dodge or a grift. Both parties tout a "recovery" that is just a cover story for accounting chicanery and statistical lies aimed at concealing the criminally-engineered national bankruptcy that they presided over in split shifts. Both parties are overwhelmingly made up of bagmen for the companies that looted America.
    Alas, the damage is now so pervasive in money matters that the federal government could be toast as a viable enterprise, even if a new party or two spontaneously rose up out of the ruins of a plundered democracy. Anyway, one of them will not be the Tea Party, with its incoherent agenda and moron cadres who seek to put Jesus back in the US constitution, where he never was in the first place - though they don't know that.
    Nor is there any party on the left or even in the center with a clue or a moral compass. Its just one of those tragic moments in history - like 1850s America, when a strange vacuum of thought occupied the heart of political life, and the scene was cluttered up with mere place-holders like Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, and James Buchanan. (Can you state a single idea or position, these political ciphers advanced?)
    Where we stand now is on the cusp of another giant step into the abyss, since the latest storm of Foreclosure-Gate suggests pretty strongly that mega-tons of mortgage-backed securities are assured of blowing up, as well as the sundry derivatives of these things (CDOs, CDOs-squared, plus the massive fetid matter infesting the alternative cosmos of credit default swaps). If you follow the media-of-record like The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, you would have to conclude that there is no extant plausible notion among financial leaders as to how the fiasco of botched mortgage-and-title documentation can be resolved. After three weeks of emerging events around this debacle, the consensus among the power brokers is to pretend that there's no problem, that the issue of missing, forged, post-dated, trashed, or non-existent paper related to claims on property can just be put aside, brushed under the rug, glossed over, ignored.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

What??

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

What??

• big lebowski reference, as was my invective to shut the fuck up
    "you have no bearings on this conversation! you are like a babe lost in the woods"

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    None of these seem too far fetched, and to be honest it will probably be a horrid combination of the first three.

WW3 ain't gonna go down like that, that's for sure. If there's a world war three, everyone is fucked! :dead:

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

• "I, for one, welcome our insect overlords!"

• leonleon 883 Posts
    US will not collapse in the 21st century because of demographics, i.e. US will stay young while Europeans and Asians will have a high percentage of non contributing citizens.

You will probably want a reliable resource to back this up, i'll try and find it on the net.

• leon said:
    US will not collapse in the 21st century because of demographics

I like how fact-like this reads.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    What I find chilling is how many people are unwilling to even consider the idea that we may not be able to stave off a crash. I took a class on global sustainable development last year and near the end I brought up this very topic. I was met with blank stares at first, then complete denials from pretty much everyone.

I can't blame young students for not wanting to consider such a scenario, though, as it would almost negate their entire reason for being in school.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    America is not a country,

Its a continent..... :-P

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    "it could all be over except for the shouting."

A Millie Jackson reference? Niiiccceeee...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    America is not a country,

It's a hemisphere.... :-P

Fixed

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I can't wait. Bring on the cannibalism and child armies--it'll make for great reality TV.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    I can't wait. Bring on the cannibalism and child armies--it'll make for great reality TV.

Read up on your read-ups. Real World XXVIII: Freetown was a total flop.