"Good" Records Drying Up Everywhere?

2»

Comments

• regarding thrift store moles...i wish there was a way to find out what happens with the records at thrifts before they hit the racks. how many grubby bearded squirrely little troll psych collectors are pawing through the crates till its nothing but barry,barbara, frank and perry? maybe i should try to be one of those trolls?

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    regarding thrift store moles...i wish there was a way to find out what happens with the records at thrifts before they hit the racks. how many grubby bearded squirrely little troll psych collectors are pawing through the crates till its nothing but barry,barbara, frank and perry? maybe i should try to be one of those trolls?

Same thing that happens with everything else they sell; it comes in, sits in the stockroom for an undetermined amount of time, then gets examined, priced, and put out. As far as how many guys are doing this?... I know one such fellow, who has assured me that they're all over the place, and that any thrift that seems to have a large supply of records probably already has a mole.

If you have the time and don't mind working in a thrift store, go for it.

• girlfriends brother works at the salvation army here in halifax, hes worked at 4 other ones in the city, he watches those bins like its no ones business, he has been working there for about 12 years, so he scores mad schitt all the time, has a pretty insane collection of records, he goes home with records daily, he nots a break head though, just a guy that really likes a music, hes scored stuff that i have been looking for for a long time, so in my case it sux to have someone on the "inside"...although every so often i show up at the store and score some goods that hes slept on..

he has people from other stores in the city call him to let him know when their records come in, so hes got a pretty good thing going, i saw their backroom about 4 weeks ago (the last time i was there) and the schitt was crazy, it would take months and months to go through all the records, and by the time you went through em all, there'd be another pile that showed since the last pile came...

nearly impossible to keep on top of, he guesses that hes putting reconds in bins today that came in last year or so..its like a never ending stream of rekkids..

• this phenomena isn't confined to thrifts.. plenty of record stores have the same problem, we've all heard the stories.

never understood the model of whoever's at the desk ballparking records that walk in the door and paying out, just to have them be repriced by someone else a few weeks later before hitting the floor, though clearly it's impractical to consolidate that job when you scale to an Amoeba level size.

• the value village (a chain of giant thirft/charity stores in canada) record mole in vancouver has a storage space where he sells all the best stuff he culls privately.

• The "Village" sux huge ass though, when they first started popping up here in nova scotia their records were like 25cents, now for whatever reason their prices skyrocket'd over a 2 yr period they are $3 per record and you have dip shits there trying to sell "Thriller" for $25 no schitt!! mouldy ass cover and all...ugh!

i stopped going there, cant be bothered...besides there is no order with their records, its all just jammed and disorganized, most records missing sleeves and most sleeves missing records...

but they as well seem to have an endless supply of rekkids