Shock G Changed My Life.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
No disrespect to Jay Dee, but what he is to most, Shock G is to me.

Thanks to EdPowers for putting me up on this incredible breakdown of Digital Underground's catalog, in Shock G's words no less!

http://www.vibe.com/photo-galleries/full-clip-shock-g-runs-down-digital-undergrounds-entire-catalogue-2pac

This was all before I added the drums. I always do my drums the same way. I finish everything else but the drums to see how everything moves???that???s how I figure out where to put the kick and the snare. During the ???I Get Around??? session Pac laid down his verses first. He left a hole on the track and told Money B and me to write our verse while he was finishing up his vocals. I was drained, so I told Pac I was going to come back tomorrow and lay down my verse. But Pac was like, ???I can???t wait???they are mastering my album tomorrow???it has to be done tonight.???

A messenger was in town to take the tape back on a plane to Interscope when we finished it, so Pac picks up a pad, walks away from me and he looks up in the air and writes some lines and looks up and writes a few more lines. I swear, less than two minutes he had my part on ???I Get Around??? written. And it was dope! I was a little hesitant because back then you didn???t say other people???s rhymes???you wrote your own rhymes. And at the time I was engaged to this girl Melissa who I later married.

So how was I going to be the freak of the industry on this one? All that sex shit I was talking on the first two or three records was because I was single. I was chasing pussy. Now I???m in love and I have a wife on the way. I???m listening to Pac???s own verse and I???m like, ???Damn, I don???t want to disrespect Melissa.??? Pac knew that. He had already thought about Melissa for me with that line, ???Because I???m a freak doesn???t mean we can hit the sheets?????? Pac respected my relationship. When people come up to me they always say the satin in the panties line. I had one of the best in the business writing for me. If you had to have a ghostwriter why not 2Pac? And he would always hit me off with $30 grand per track. It was lovely. I wasn???t in the bathrooms when all the sex was jumping off during the shooting of ???I Get Around.'

Man.

Comments

• Read the article. It turns out that Shock G and Humpty Hump were actually the same person...

• Fratton79 said:
    Read the article. It turns out that Shock G and Humpty Hump were actually the same person...

Please tell me you're joking. Did you really not know that??

• nice read, thanks for that!

I still think DU is crazily underrated.

and "Body Hat Syndrome" has some sick shit on it that is totally slept on.

• Fratton79 said:
    Read the article. It turns out that Shock G and Humpty Hump were actually the same person...

my mind is blown.

• vintageinfants said:
    Fratton79 said:

my mind is blown.

This now calls into question the identity of MC Blowfish

shit

• Fratton79 said:

But one had, like glasses and a big nose, and shit. And the other one didn't. HOW COULD THIS BE.

BW

Article looks great, thanks for the heads up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Special Ed has a false hand and Kane has AIDS!!!

• Too $hort is dead!

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Too $hort is dead!

How long was that one?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    nice read, thanks for that!

I still think DU is crazily underrated.

and "Body Hat Syndrome" has some sick shit on it that is totally slept on.

I need that

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Body Hat Syndrome" has some sick shit on it that is totally slept on.

:shit_yeah:

• bennyboy said:
    Fratton79 said:

But one had, like glasses and a big nose, and shit. And the other one didn't. HOW COULD THIS BE.

BW

Article looks great, thanks for the heads up.

It's funny to us, but man, Shock had a lot of fools fooled for a long ass time.

b/w

I give my man props because he's living.

• that article was awesome- thanks!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I always knew Shock was Humpty...actually scratch that I think at one point I thought they were twins because of a promo shot I saw with both of them in the picture. But I figured it out pretty quick. BUT, I had no idea Shock was the Piano man until way later. Dude is a living legend as far as I'm concerned and I'm with Herm 150% on this one, he is to me what Jay Dee is to most fools.

We need "Shock G changed my life" shirts pronto

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Thanks for posting this. It's a great read, especially the stuff Shock has to say about Pac.

• leisurebandit said:
    that article was awesome- thanks!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    batmon said:
    Special Ed has a false hand and Kane has AIDS!!!

LOL, the Special Ed rumor was hi-larious. People really believed that shit when that LP came out. Too Funny!!

• parenparen 537 Posts
    No disrespect to Jay Dee, but what he is to most, Shock G is to me.

YES

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    djdaze said:

We need "Shock G changed my life" shirts pronto

I'd buy several.

Shock G is a fuckin' genius. Not on some "I like his music, so I'm going to call him a genius" but a real-deal genius.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    whoa, I just noticed Shock has a MURS tattoo. Crazy

• Check J****l's OG Facebook post. I explained the tattoo there.

• yeah man i was a huge DU fan growing up, sumthin that has been on my want list for a long time is the Sex Packets LP, i had this convo with this guy the other day here at my work, hes a huge tupac fan (me not so much i like his early stuff though) and he didnt believe me when i said that tupac was down with the underground back in the day...loved his verse on "i get around" reminds of that 2Pacalypse Now/Strickly For My Niggaz"

ironically i had the same convo a few days later with Coolio and Low Profile with the same guy after he was on some Gangster Paradise schitz..