Free Design Appreciation

TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
"i celebrate their entire catalog", well atleast what ive heard of it. shit is so crucial right now. the last track on the Heaven/Earth album "Dorian Benediction" melts my fucking face, as does the whole Kites are Fun album. hatters fall back!

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Maybe I just got the wrong LP ("You Could Be Born All Over"), but I was not feelin' it at all. Sounded like some Lawrence Welk meets Mamas & Papas shit...and I like late 60's pop stuff...just too smoothed out and choral for me, and no real moods. Not hattin', just expected more with all the hype and was let down. Any MP3 's of the stuff you really liked?

You can have my VG+ OG copy of that record for 5 bucks if you want it - that's what I paid for it, hit me on the PM and it's yours.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i dunno man. i havent heard that album. but Kites Are Fun is where it's at. gorgeous harmonies and nice sweet songs. but check that one song off of the Heaven/Earth album. its like nothing on either one of those albums. its really moody and jazzy. i would post a clip but yousendit is fuckin up

• Maybe I just got the wrong LP ("You Could Be Born All Over"), but I was not feelin' it at all. Sounded like some Lawrence Welk meets Mamas & Papas shit...and I like late 60's pop stuff...just too smoothed out and choral for me, and no real moods. Not hattin', just expected more with all the hype and was let down. Any MP3 's of the stuff you really liked?

You can have my VG+ OG copy of that record for 5 bucks if you want it - that's what I paid for it, hit me on the PM and it's yours.

you do have the wrong album. that record is the most convential out of the 5 or 6 they recorded.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Maybe I just got the wrong LP ("You Could Be Born All Over"), but I was not feelin' it at all. Sounded like some Lawrence Welk meets Mamas & Papas shit...and I like late 60's pop stuff...just too smoothed out and choral for me, and no real moods. Not hattin', just expected more with all the hype and was let down. Any MP3 's of the stuff you really liked?

i really like "an elegy" off that album.

i'm still trying to track down a copy of stars/time/bubbles/love. anyone got a copy?

• dont hatt. free design are
    anybody hear the sings for very important people lp? peace, stein. . .

i really like "an elegy" off that album.

i'm still trying to track down a copy of stars/time/bubbles/love. anyone got a copy?
    thats supposed to on of their more psychedelic albums, no?

dont hatt. free design are
    anybody hear the sings for very important people lp? peace, stein. . .
    do you have that one stein? if so, how is it?

• naw. it's the only one i dont have. somebody told me it was on some little kid
    sh!^ when i saw it for sale and passed and have not seen since. bummer, stein. .

you got the private press one?

• the private press one is brutal rare and it is not as good as heaven and earth or the other good project three ones. very important people is a comp of the four or five project three records.

• yes i have the indy one. i got it a looong time ago. i think its not as good as the project 3 lp's my fav. is one by one. peace, stein. . .

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I love me some Free Design. Make the Madness Stop off of Kites are Fun is the jam. Great music to listen to by yourself, but tough for any crowd. There will always be at least one hater.

DJ Ferrari

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I love their catalogue.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Limited re-issues of all the LPs HERE.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

you do have the wrong album. that record is the most convential out of the 5 or 6 they recorded.

Ehh, SoulonIce pretty much summed up my reaction to "Heaven/Earth" even though he is describing a different LP. I guess I was just didn't get the memo that explains why the Free Design is more sonically interesting than the Carpenters.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    Great music to listen to by yourself, but tough for any crowd. There will always be at least one hater.

Great music to listen to by yourself, but tough for any crowd. There will always be at least one hater.

agree 100%

• 1 hatter here.

Listened to kites are fun and I couldn't stand it. Sounded like cheesy pop partridge family crap to me. I don't get it.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    that "Bubbles" track is pretty damn good...straight stereolab(who didnt stereolab steal from?) but the rest of the LP that song is on is on some annoying sunshine pop up with people steez, uggggh.

• who didnt stereolab steal from?)

I only just recently got into free design, and my first reaction was "shit, this souds like stereolab!"
    I love both bands though..

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    who didnt stereolab steal from?)

I only just recently got into free design, and my first reaction was "shit, this souds like stereolab!"
    I love both bands though..

i like the free design alot, but this:

is my shit right now.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    (who didnt stereolab steal from?)
    him.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    him.

pffft. they don't even know his fuckin' pro-file.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    him.

Was bumping his first yesterday>....R.I.P. album is dope

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    him.

Was bumping his first yesterday>....R.I.P. album is dope
    my boss hates russell jones... that's why i have it on repeat.