best diggin city stateside?!

tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
IF you had one area to dig for a week, where would that be?
disco, boogie, funk, chitown, detroit, disco rap, indi and the likes ;)
comment greatly appreciated

Comments

• Tokyo

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Portland OR has more stores per capita than any other city I think.

This does not make it the best.
    In fact, because it has so many stores, and customers, the bins are often bare.

Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Miami are all probably better for digging.

But I wouldn't recommend any of those for a week of digging in the states.
    San Diego, San Francisco, DC or Santa Fe would all be better, because you would be in San Diego, San Francisco, DC or Santa Fe.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Albuquerque

• bass_fever said:
    Tokyo

LOL, i LIVE in Tokyo!!!!

I'm sure there are way better spots Stateside...........NYC even outdid Tokyo last time I was there 2 years ago....and i KNOW NYC is steep for the most part

• LaserWolf said:

Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Miami are all probably better for digging.

But I wouldn't recommend any of those for a week of digging in the states.
    San Diego, San Francisco, DC or Santa Fe would all be better, because you would be in San Diego, San Francisco, DC or Santa Fe.

Yeah, this is what I wanted to know! thanx

I figured Miami might be nice..........having the time factor tho, better having more accessible places!

NOTE: I am a fiend for dollar bins, and can rip through them faster than anyone I have met ;)

• djdaze said:
    Albuquerque

for real?

do tell

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Cincinnati, Ohio and Indianapolis, Indiana
    or
    Conway, Arkansas and Twitty, Texas

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    No records in San Diego.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Honestly, I would save up and hit NYC. At least you are guaranteed to find and discover raers.

All the other cities are dry as a bone unless you hook up with other dealers and collectors. You are just not walking into record stores and thrift stores and coming up on heat these days. All the information is out there -- so it's either picked over or over priced.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    djdaze said:
    Albuquerque

for real?

do tell

completely joking

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    IF you had one area to dig for a week, where would that be?
    disco, boogie, funk, chitown, detroit, disco rap, indi and the likes ;)
    comment greatly appreciated
    chicago, but be prepared to drive.

• Breez said:
    or

Correction... Indianapolis, Indiana is one of the WORST places to dig for records. The record stores there have all closed down and started selling on ebay... and I mean ALL the stores. And unless you actually live there and have the time to hit up people's homes and antique stores on a regular basis you will mostly leave empty handed. I lived there for 7 years and seen it downhill with my own eyes. Cincinnati, OH and St. Louis, MO are both better locations to look for records.

• RAJ said:
    Honestly, I would save up and hit NYC. At least you are guaranteed to find and discover raers.

All the other cities are dry as a bone unless you hook up with other dealers and collectors. You are just not walking into record stores and thrift stores and coming up on heat these days. All the information is out there -- so it's either picked over or over priced.

unfortunately, this is what i was afraid of >,

• well, seems I am confused now >.

don't know if I wanna hit NYC.....I am SURE i can find what I want there BUt prefer a REAL dig!

I'm more a diamond in the ruff kinda guy, and would rather slog thru 10,000 records with no idea what lurks than a highly refined selection
    I am really after rare boogie for my own personal liking.......woulda thought LA would have the heat with all the records released there 70s and 80s.......
    I do know that it has obviously been picked, but you never know what's out there til you go

• RAJ said:
    Honestly, I would save up and hit NYC. All the information is out there -- so it's either picked over or over priced.

NYC is the epitome of this, I guess............there HAS to be spots out there

anyone else, feel free to add

thanx to everyone so far, good info

• denver has real good stores, last time i was there was 7 years ago though

• your best bet for what it sounds like you want to do is pick a region, rent a car, prepare to eat some crappy food and drive around for a week and hit up thrift stores. time it around a regional record show and try to find some local dealers/strutters. youll probably do okay. bu tin the end it would be more socially enjoyable and worthwhile to go to nyc or sf

• Santa Cruz, California! Best records I ever found, and the widest variety! The whole Bay Area in general, East Bay, Sacramento!!! HOT SHIT!!!

• so nice had to say it thrice!

i dont know man...i think that area probably has the highest IQ among record buyers. you gotta deal with JToro running amock and shit. but you do have groove merchant! for real, if you grind tho, the bay is great. i got my sealed countdown at kusini at the venerable ashby flea!

• tripledouble said:
    so nice had to say it thrice!

i dont know man...i think that area probably has the highest IQ among record buyers. you gotta deal with JToro running amock and shit. but you do have groove merchant! for real, if you grind tho, the bay is great. i got my sealed countdown at kusini at the venerable ashby flea!

haha, sounds like you must have had some fire finds

must have paid a pretty penny for that manu!

i was prepping for bay area and such, seems it may be the go! groove merchants i've heard comes correct

good info!!

• Manduro3000 said:
    Breez said:
    or

Correction... Indianapolis, Indiana is one of the WORST places to dig for records. The record stores there have all closed down and started selling on ebay... and I mean ALL the stores. And unless you actually live there and have the time to hit up people's homes and antique stores on a regular basis you will mostly leave empty handed. I lived there for 7 years and seen it downhill with my own eyes. Cincinnati, OH and St. Louis, MO are both better locations to look for records.

Wrong. Me and bass fever just scooped you. There are records everywhere.

• san francisco thrift stores are the worst.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Do an entire week in Cali-3 days in LA/Long Beach, 3 days in SF/Berkeley/Santa Cruz, & 1 day in San Diego-totally possible

• esskay said:
    Do an entire week in Cali-3 days in LA/Long Beach, 3 days in SF/Berkeley/Santa Cruz, & 1 day in San Diego-totally possible

sounds like a good plan!

7 days in bay area...maybe incl. LA, 7 days osaka and then back to Tokyo it seems is how it be mapping itself out!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Paycheck bought all the records in NYC last week. there are none left :(

• shawnald_reagan said:
    Manduro3000 said:
    Breez said:
    or

There's records, just a large number of diggers per capita...and yes, you have to be on the consistent flea market, antique, thrift steez to find anything. The fruitful days of Naptown digging are long gone.

• bass_fever said:
    shawnald_reagan said:
    Manduro3000 said:
    Breez said:
    or

There's records, just a large number of diggers per capita...and yes, you have to be on the consistent flea market, antique, thrift steez to find anything. The fruitful days of Naptown digging are long gone.

RIP Missing Link

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I've been told that nothing really compares to Detroit. However, that could have been someone trying to get my goat. Is there any truth to this that someone can attest to? Or were they in fact just after my goat? Leave my goat alone.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    all the records in Detroit are on ebay

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    I've been told that nothing really compares to Detroit. However, that could have been someone trying to get my goat. Is there any truth to this that someone can attest to? Or were they in fact just after my goat? Leave my goat alone.

I used to go to Detroit frequently in the early 2000s. Lots of HEAT. Last time I went was in 2006 and things got grim, fast. If you go, though, there are enough local dealers and heads to accommodate you. Just bring some $$.