Jamie xx is killin' shit

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
This.

Kid has remixed the whole of that GSH album, and that Adele remix is out in the new year.

:face_melt: :feelin_it:

Comments

• heard this one a while back and was feeling it...

would be good to hear some more of this uptempo/dancefloor stuff from him (as opposed to the more shoegaze stylings of the xx).

• DocMcCoy said:
    Wow, I would not expect to have any interest in an Adele record-- let alone an Adele record remixed by an indie rocker-- but that's the shit.

• big fan of his stuff. i'm looking forward to to him putting out an album of his own material.

my friend put me on this mix that he made for colette (a parisian-based clothing shop). it's on the dark, 2-step / dubstep / garage / uk funky / hybrid whatever genre tip.

http://www.abeano.com/file_download/167/01+Jamie+XX+mix+for+Colette+10.mp3

Electrelane : I Only Always Think
    The Streets : Streets Score
    The XX : Crystalised (DarkSky Remix)
    Silentone : Beat For
    Rossi B & Luca : Jah No Dead
    Clubroot : Lucid Dream
    Darkstar : Aidy???s Girl Is a Computer
    Burial : Unite
    Fantastic Mr Fox & Rich Reason : Lo-Fi-Ve
    Joy Orbison : Hyph Mngo
    Skream : Trapped In a Dark Bubble
    Silentone : DUB PLATE 1
    Aardvarck : One1
    James Blake : Sparing The Horse
    Boogaloo Crew : Hedgehog Sound
    Zomby : Expert Tuition
    Deadboy : Heartbreaker
    Bad Autopsy : Psionic Terror
    Cooly G : Narst
    zed bias : To the left (test)
    MJ Cole feat. Serocee : AO (MJ???s Open Your Gob Dubb)
    DJ Champion: Motherboard
    Bertrand Dupart : Ketokole (Boddhi Satva Ancestrial Mix) Fantastic Mr Fox : Plimsoul
    Emvee : Glitch Dub
    Dorian Concept : Trilingual Dance Sexperience
    THE XX : ISLAND (JAMIE XX REMIX)
    Silentone : You???ve Got No Love (Feat. Nigh)
    Egypt : In The Morning (Original Club Mix)

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    This.

Needs a single release, pref'bly with an instrumental as I couldn't give a toss about NY, but that beat and guitar lick is killing me.

• haha. yep jamie is a fuckin badman

i've got love for remy as well, saw her play a dj set the other day, she smacked it.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    haha. yep jamie is a fuckin badman

i've got love for remy as well, saw her play a dj set the other day, she smacked it.

Is she the one who looks like Stephen Fry?

• that's rude.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

Is she the one who looks like Stephen Fry?

:comedy_gold:

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    that's rude.

So from your response this is true. But your response is rude to Stephen Fry.

• listen motherfucker, remy doesn't look like motherfucking stephen fry. jamie might be able to pass for simon amstell on the basis of his hair, in a dark room.

• actually.. hmmm. nah not one little bit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Makes me really happy to see a thread on Soulstrut about some new music.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    listen motherfucker, remy doesn't look like motherfucking stephen fry.

It's not the first time the resembalance has been noted, but all this mutherfucker talk also suggests that you want Remy to be your special friend :oh_my:

Unless of course you're actually Remy?

Either way, it's only an observation - chill pill.

• haha i'm not asshurt duder, i'm just taking the mick. i'll try to communicate using banglash cipher in future.

in the interests of re-railing the thread, darksky is definitely one to watch.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    This.

Needs a single release, pref'bly with an instrumental as I couldn't give a toss about NY, but that beat and guitar lick is killing me.

This is great. I listened to the XX album once and didn't really get into it. Got me wondering whether I should revisit it as certainly don't recall it sounding anything like this.

Definitely something to the Fry resemblance.

Stephen Fry was young once too, but I don't suppose she cares either way.

Will check for the Darksky business - that Drake Fireworks remix by Deadboy has just been released. Cheers for the previous heads-up on that one too 'Nik! Could be a late contender for the 2010 Best Ofs list.

• heh yep that is fire. trying to think what else is good. obv your all over the ramadanman stuff i take it? the new jacques greene on luckyme is pretty spanking if you like hause. the Slackkk on numbers too, he's a scouse chap with a penchant for mish mashing. most of the best stuff within the world-formerly-known-as-dubstep now is very hard to define. oh and you need all the night slugs stuff, fire. girl unit - wut, jam city - ecstacy refix. etc.

oh yeah, arp 101 for the modern boogie / hop flex. killer producer.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    most of the best stuff within the world-formerly-known-as-dubstep now is very hard to define.

It's the same scene though, roughly, and I cosign the term 'bass music' to cover it, in whatever shape or form I find it, and I think it's being disseminated faster now, which is good. Jamie XX. I guess a decade ago, and bear with me here, Damon Albarn might've been your indie rocker with an interest in Jungle/DnB/Hip-Hop/Electronica, but it took him a lot longer to actually get into it, similarly Radiohead aren't the first name that springs to mind when discussing quality British electronica, but Kid A isn't a bad stab at it. But this Jamie XX bloke has obviously always had an interest in the stuff, and maybe more of the Indie rocker crowd will follow suit, meaning more gigs for your Deadboys, Martyns, Falty DLs etc.

Not sure that I'm ready for UK Funky/Night Slugs stuff yet. So far it sounds like good club music, but not something I could also appreciate at home, and my spending resources are limited to quality stuff I can buy on vinyl and can listen to in any state of mind.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You might like this Duder

• i think quite a lot of people bought the girl unit stuff who don't like that sort of thing normally. its at a southern rap tempo, i'd definitely recommend checking out IRL and Wut if you haven't already. and the aforementioned ecstacy refix by jam city. solid stuff. i hear you on the home listening thing tho. oh and james blake with his feist cover version and klavierwerke, definitely more armchair than dancefloor

floating points just put a 10 inch on ninja with his Post Suite / Almost In Profile orchestral pieces on it. very beautiful, think its sold out already, hopefully ninja will repress.

• A lot of good recommendations, there's definitely more to the Night Slugs releases than just club music and I think they just put out a comp of their stuff.
    ARP 101 - Warriors Galactic is more laid back and Eglo are always a good label to check but i'm sure everyone's up on most of their stuff already.

• Fiyah!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    That Adele remix has been on repeat for weeks. :feelin_it: