Dr. Dre has no Records...

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
thought this was a interesting read. sold off the collection. any west coast strutters get in on that?

http://www.nodfactor.com/2010/11/23/7495/

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the muthaphuckin D.R.E. said:
    Sold or gave away?
    Both. What I did was just went through and jotted down everything I was in love with so I could order it later.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    What are three of those records you wrote down?

I didn???t keep em for sampling purposes. Curtis Mayfield???s ???Superfly??? a Barry White???s Greatest Hits??? a gray album and everything else on it was black. [thinks] It might be fucking Nirvana. That???s one of my favorite albums ever made. I still listen to that shit to work out.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I remeber hearing that Dre sent dudes out to n.y to buy the Mighty V.I.C'S record collection a few years back. Wonder what type of crazy shit dre had in his collection, or i wonder if it was really Mel-Man that had all the really hot shit (he seemed like more of the record dude in the camp)..

• god damn! what is the world coming too....80,000 records is a lot of records to move...um guessing his collection was pretty tight?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    haze25 said:
    I remeber hearing that Dre sent dudes out to n.y to buy the Mighty V.I.C'S record collection a few years back. Wonder what type of crazy shit dre had in his collection, or i wonder if it was really Mel-Man that had all the really hot shit (he seemed like more of the record dude in the camp)..

I bet Dre had a lot of ol' skool Hip-Hop, electro and party records. I bet breaks weren't even his thang. Not saying that his break knowledge isn't off the chain.

• Breez said:
    I bet Dre had a lot of ol' skool Hip-Hop, electro and party records. I bet breaks weren't even his thang. Not saying that his break knowledge isn't off the chain.
    I always thought the same thing about breaks and Dre. That he wasn't a deep break collector, I know I've seen a few pics where Dre had comps laying around his home studio such as Dusty Fingers.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    god damn! what is the world coming too....80,000 records is a lot of records to move...um guessing his collection was pretty tight?

I would guess there were some good records in there but that it was mostly chud. Very few people have an 80K collection--at that volume it's usually just an assemblage.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Most likely 80,000 is just a way of saying a lot.
    If you bought a record a day in 219 years you would have 80,000 records.

I doubt he had 80,000 records.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I think, from this and other interviews and from the inner artwork to his last album, that he had a warehouse full of records which he did not--for the most part--personally select and which were mostly chud.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    LA heads probably know the deal but supposedly Dre bought the entire stock of the store Finyl Vinyl in Leimert Park that was owned by Kamau Dahoud & run by that cat Ali who later went to work for Rawkus in NYC-this is like 10 to 12 years back

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    esskay said:
    LA heads probably know the deal but supposedly Dre bought the entire stock of the store Finyl Vinyl in Leimert Park that was owned by Kamau Dahoud & run by that cat Ali who later went to work for Rawkus in NYC-this is like 10 to 12 years back

My friend helped Amoeba set up their whole inventory system when they were getting the LA store up and running. She says that before the store was officially opened, Dre was given a couple days to come in and buy stuff, and he pretty much went to town on some crazy bulk purchase steez.

• esskay said:

Kamau had, at best, 1000 records in Finyl Vinyl, and that includes the beat up blue note that were 20$ in crates on the sidewalk.

Maybe Dre was a member of the program and forgot to return everything

wait a minute, only liek three people might get that joke.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:

I don't know why that figure is seen as outlandish by anyone. I'd bet that I've owned 40,000 records in my lifetime, maybe more. I just keep selling huge piles off in order to buy more and clear space.

Dre probably gets all kinds of crap sent to him free, and if he wasn't bothering to sell shit off for years on end I can see 80,000 easily.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    "THE PROGRAM" = limousine delivery of record you need right to your studio or home = inside joke

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Kamaou didn't have ANYTHING when I hit him up. He took me to his spot and opened it up just for me, showed me everything in storage as well. I think I may have bought 2 records from him and this was a good 13 or so years ago. Dre did have a large collection of turds and with that come a few gems sprinkled about. I know V.I.C sold his collection. I'd like to know how much he sold it for and I'd also, like to know who bough Bob Gibson's collection. I think it may have been Michael McFaddin from Ubiquity? Honestly I would love to sell my whole collection off in one swoop for the right price. Where you at Dre? Time to re up!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    By the way I still to this day have a pamphlet that K. Donan gave me trying to get me in the "Program"

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I heard V.I.C'S collection was severely water damged from not storing it properly. He must have had some good shit though, mad moody latin loops.

peace,xavier

• i never thought bob could sell his collection as a whole, patience wins.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    esskay said:

Kamau had, at best, 1000 records in Finyl Vinyl, and that includes the beat up blue note that were 20$ in crates on the sidewalk.

Maybe Dre was a member of the program and forgot to return everything

wait a minute, only liek three people might get that joke.

LOL!!!!!!!! Yeah, Kevin was on some COMEDY with that "program" ish. $ 1,500.00 a month to borrow records. How many people actually signed up for the "program." Kevin said Warren G and Kay-Gee were in it.

• BobDesperado said:
    LaserWolf said:

I don't know why that figure is seen as outlandish by anyone. I'd bet that I've owned 40,000 records in my lifetime, maybe more. I just keep selling huge piles off in order to buy more and clear space.

Dre probably gets all kinds of crap sent to him free, and if he wasn't bothering to sell shit off for years on end I can see 80,000 easily.

nah ive got about 40,000 now and they all fit in only part of my modest sized basement/studio. granted ive absolutely maximized the space well beyond normal sanity, but the point is its not that much cubic footage needed. 80,000 if tightly shelved would only be like 2 medium sized house basements put together, lined 4 sides with shelves and with 4 rows back to back down the middle. im talking 5 rows high, no gaps,etc. Dre's house probably has 10 rooms bigger than the space that 80,000 lps would need to be comfortably stored for easy access. in his case, based on the stories im seeing here, it doesnt sound like a large proportion of them was that great so perhaps the majority were just crated up and stacked in piles. but you know he must have had some sick pieces.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    What are three of those records you wrote down?

I didn???t keep em for sampling purposes. Curtis Mayfield???s ???Superfly??? a Barry White???s Greatest Hits??? a gray album and everything else on it was black. [thinks] It might be fucking Nirvana. That???s one of my favorite albums ever made. I still listen to that shit to work out.

It's kinda funny Dre doesn't know what artist did one of his favourite albums ever... He's not a linernote nerd I take it!

• haze25 said:
    I heard V.I.C'S collection was severely water damged from not storing it properly. He must have had some good shit though, mad moody latin loops.

peace,xavier

Damn So VIC done sold all his records?? What's he do now?

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    i never thought bob could sell his collection as a whole, patience wins.

Kon who was Bob Gibson, was he an east coast or west coast dealer?