Any thoughts on this Daft Punk 'Tron: Legacy' score?

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Color me impressed. Probably not what a lot of Daft Punk fans were hoping for, in terms of new dancefloor material, but a pretty damn dramatic work. Some definite Carpenter vibes here and there. Getting me hyped to this movie. Definitely an interesting career move for the group and an encouraging sign they will continue to make compelling music after about 15 years of being on the scene.

Comments

• I'm really looking forward to this (both movie and score). Insane over-the-top eye-candy + Daft Punk = a winner in my eyes.

I loved the hand-drawn FX and early CGI in the first Tron movie, and think the epicness of 3D IMAX will totally justify the new one. Yup, I'm that optimistic.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Is there somewhere to hear it? did it leak?

• http://www.vasiliska.com/music/soundtracks/18245-daft-punk-tron-legacy-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2010.html

Digging the score, def a new direction for them...Looking forward to checking out the movie in 3D.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Is there somewhere to hear it? did it leak?

It did, check pms

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I must admit that I thought this was going to be a good fit when I first heard about it. Will check it out.

• *cough*can i haz lynx pls?*cough*

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    *cough*can i haz lynx pls?*cough*

• how utterly, utterly superb is this. a joy to listen to.

• mega. asbolute masterpiece.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Cosmophonic said:
    I'm really looking forward to this (both movie and score). Jeff Bridges + Daft Punk = a winner in my eyes.

Favorable opinions = Oscar chances?

white_tea said:
    Color me impressed. Probably not what a lot of Daft Punk fans were hoping for, in terms of new dancefloor material, but a pretty damn dramatic work. Some definite Carpenter vibes here and there. Getting me hyped to this movie. Definitely an interesting career move for the group and an encouraging sign they will continue to make compelling music after about 15 years of being on the scene.

Until hearing it, I thought you meant Carpenter, like Karen Carpenter!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Only had one listen through but liking what I hear. Definitely hearing the obvious Carpenter influence but also seem to have taken influence from modern composers like Ari Folman (Waltz With Bashir).

• I love this, but I am an unabashed daft punk fanboy.

To my ears it is a pretty happy medium between their signature sound and traditional movies scores. As well as the obvious Carpenter qualities, it has a subtle 80's vangelis (or indeed wendy carlos who did the original) vibe to it that I think will go a long way in subconsciously linking the two films.

I hope this will help to sway the hatteurs into realizing that they aren't cut from the same cloth as their genre peers, but are truly inimitable.